The Car Thread

MadManMike

@RobinJI If you cycle to work would your annual mileage be under 5000? Might be able to save even more money with classic insurance. That's the only way I can semi-justify running two cars just now.

On which note, I may have won an auction on eBay for a minty mx-5. Picking it up next weekend. :dance: Spring 2017 TF trackday??

• Like 1

I'm up for that. Gotta get 2 new tyres this month, then get FCM motorsport to sort my geo - had so many new bits fitted since last time, I know it's miles out. My totally f**ked front tyres prove that.

I wanted to get suspension on and steering bits replaced before doing it, so now it's just new front tyres then it's good to go.

Should have a new engine in by spring too.

A budget trackday would be nice, if we can get some kind of good deal going...

Blyton would be sweet, but I'm up for pretty much anywhere. 

Not sure what the cost would be if it were a private venue but booking through Javelin seemed reasonable to me. 

It would also appear I wasnt quite using the effectiveness of my front brakes 100%... 

Screenshot_2016-11-07-19-46-14.png

Left is passenger side, right is drivers. My passenger side front calliper is nigh on seized. I had wondered why I was getting lock up towards the end of the day on the offside. Problem found! 

Edited by SamKidney

13 hours ago, MadManMike said:

A budget trackday would be nice, if we can get some kind of good deal going...

Might get 10% off if we book for 10 people or more, that's about it.

13 hours ago, SamKidney said:

Blyton would be sweet, but I'm up for pretty much anywhere. 

Not sure what the cost would be if it were a private venue but booking through Javelin seemed reasonable to me. 

Cost would be more than anyone wants to pay - if you think they have to book 60 on at £100 a pop to cover costs, and there would be about 15 of us... yeah... £400 each. Plus we'd have to sort our own insurance, marshalls, medical crew, etc. Not gonna happen.

10 hours ago, dann2707 said:

Made some decent progress tonight. Took me an hour and a bit and the engine is pretty much ready to be removed. Just a few little things to undo first. 

Have you removed an engine before? Because it looks as though you're making the same schoolboy error I (and most) made first time I did it - removing every little nut and bolt, manifold, sensor, bit of ducting etc etc first :P

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jolfa said:

Have you removed an engine before? Because it looks as though you're making the same schoolboy error I (and most) made first time I did it - removing every little nut and bolt, manifold, sensor, bit of ducting etc etc first :P

The whole thing has to come out. It's not a simple engine swap mate. Abs is going, custom brake lines, servo going as running pedal box. Hydraulic steering going etc etc 

1 hour ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Cost would be more than anyone wants to pay - if you think they have to book 60 on at £100 a pop to cover costs, and there would be about 15 of us... yeah... £400 each. Plus we'd have to sort our own insurance, marshalls, medical crew, etc. Not gonna happen.

Yeah I'd have thought it would be an expensive do. 

Think I paid £129.00 for Sunday. Well worth it. Curborough is a good laugh but the likes of Blyton and elsewhere is far better for a good run as you'll know yourself. 

1 hour ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

I was game for Curborough before but we unfortunately had the double booking issue, but certainly still up for it again.

21 minutes ago, dann2707 said:

The whole thing has to come out. It's not a simple engine swap mate. Abs is going, custom brake lines, servo going as running pedal box. Hydraulic steering going etc etc 

You getting rid of power steering entirely?  Do you just loop the rack hoses to do that or can you get a manual rack?

Have you got a donor engine yet?

44 minutes ago, dann2707 said:

I think Rich's point is more that most engines are designed to be installed (and therefore removed) with most ancillaries in place. I'd agree with him that it's way easier to pull the whole engine out as one lump, complete with all the fiddly little bits still attached, then strip what you need off the it once it's out of the car. Plus you end up with a nice empty engine bay to work in when removing the brake/clutch/steering parts.

Nice progress all the same. It sounds like it's going to be a bit of an animal when it's done.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jolfa said:

1 hour ago, Danny said:

You getting rid of power steering entirely?  Do you just loop the rack hoses to do that or can you get a manual rack?

Have you got a donor engine yet?

No, I'm going electric steering from a diesel clio. Will be getting the meg 225 once I've got this engine out. 

1 hour ago, RobinJI said:

I think Rich's point is more that most engines are designed to be installed (and therefore removed) with most ancillaries in place. I'd agree with him that it's way easier to pull the whole engine out as one lump, complete with all the fiddly little bits still attached, then strip what you need off the it once it's out of the car. Plus you end up with a nice empty engine bay to work in when removing the brake/clutch/steering parts.

Nice progress all the same. It sounds like it's going to be a bit of an animal when it's done.

I'm with you! Yeah that makes sense. 

Indontnhavean engine crane yet so doing all this before I dodon't have an

Think the VTI may end up being replaced with something thats ready to go :(

Neil (The owner of the yard) has just secured an English Heritage grant to start repair work to the mill engine house which means the yard will have to be completely empty in order for the contractors to do what they have to do. Trying to work out somewhere to keep it otherwise but I think Im going to have to go for another shell/car just to speed the process up. 

May just mothball all the bits Ive bought for a few months and find a 98' DC2 Type R to K swap instead. 

On 07/11/2016 at 6:02 PM, Pete.M said:

@RobinJI If you cycle to work would your annual mileage be under 5000? Might be able to save even more money with classic insurance. That's the only way I can semi-justify running two cars just now.

On which note, I may have won an auction on eBay for a minty mx-5. Picking it up next weekend. :dance: Spring 2017 TF trackday??

Nah, I'll always end up doing more than 5k a year in my main car (be it interesting/classic or a cheap estate) I do a lot of social miles thanks to having a pretty spread out group of friends. Insurance isn't too bad for me anyway. I'm getting old enough, and touch wood my history's squeaky clean. 

I had a re-arrange at the unit on monday and got the scirocco out into some clear space, so I'll probably start work on that this evening. My new welder's arriving on Friday, but I don't think I'll have any gas to use it for a week or two :(