The Car Thread

MadManMike

So , the Audi is back on the road after another short stint in the garage. £400 later ( garage tried to charge me £700 ) and they've diagnosed a shagged tandem pump and worn out buckets on the injectors. £36 on a Jetta tandem pump and she's back to having a decent amount of power. 

Since that I've had 3 episodes of the car flashing brakes! In the dash display and beeping thrice when I try and start it. Will start , but cut out immediately. After being left for some indeterminate amount of time it starts fine ?! Weird , anyway, ready to put my faith in it and get rid of the ever faithful Ibiza tdi.

As I've got the luxo barge Audi for commuting : long distance / riding car I'm looking to be in the market for a track oriented / fun car.

decided on an mx5, after some research thinking nice cheap mk1 1800. (<£700) or maybe the best possible mk2 1800 I could afford (£1200). Any ideas or advice or alternatives ? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Mk1 1600 = the best one.

The best one? Why is the 1.6 any better than the 1.8's? I know that the later 1.6 is one to avoid due to decreased power....

1 hour ago, MadManMike said:

Depends what you want.

Project car: £500

Half decent: £1,000

Pretty tidy: £1,800

Almost mint: £3,000

eBay white background mint: £19,995 (Seriously, 4 star classics or whatever they're called)

I'm looking toward half decent, don't really want something needing a mental amount of work.

Mine was £925 and I've done a lot to it.

In reality, it's a 25 year old car, so will need work unless you buy one for about £2k, that's had the work done.

They're cheap to repair and easy to work on, so I didn't mind buying a cheaper one to gradually do up.

Get a Eunos, they're 115bhp as standard and a better spec than UK MX-5's, But yeah, the 1.6's are only a tiny bit slower than the 1.8's but feel more lively. 1.8 is a good shout if you plan to supercharge / turbo it.

Panel company rang to say that my driver's side arch panel won't arrive until Monday. 

Passenger side should be all buttoned up and smoothed off with a protective layer of paint by the end of the week. 

I'm dying to get it done and painted. I hate the prep :( 

19 minutes ago, MadManMike said:

1.8 is a good shout if you plan to supercharge / turbo it.

I may be misinformed but I thought it was the 1.6 that has the mythical oil gallery blanking plug? Hence it can be turboed without the more scary implication of fcking up the block, and the biggest engineering job is to drill/tap the sump?

13 hours ago, Alex Dark said:

The best one? Why is the 1.6 any better than the 1.8's? I know that the later 1.6 is one to avoid due to decreased power....

I'm looking toward half decent, don't really want something needing a mental amount of work.

Lighter, likes to rev (this is a sports car, not a turbo diesel :P). I think it was 94 onwards they reduced the power, yep. As Mike says, a Eunos is the ideal as the spec will be marginally better, but don't stress if you find a UK one in good condition. Also as said, to find something that's half decent, you'd need to be looking at £1500+ I think.

In Eunos news, I just ghetto sprayed the lower black line across the whole car, as I fitted a new wing that has it.

I found out that they all have it, except mine because it's clearly been bodge sprayed a few times.

I'd still like to get the whole car resprayed properly, but I've seen a lot of rust underneath when we fitted the new suspension, so I think I'm going to just find a cleaner one and move all my decent bits over to it.

I've wondered for a while; Do the stroker cranks to make a 1.8 mx5 into a 2.1, fit in a 1.6? I've just had the (purely academical) thought that this would make an approx. 1900cc engine with a unique characteristic (maybe not beneficial however).

And likewise is the stroke of a 1600 different to an 1800 in stock form? I have thought that the ultimate build would be a 1600 block (with turbo ready plug), bored to 1800 spec, and turbo as usual. And then (with a head gasket sandwich if needed) perhaps then throwing in a stroker for good measure.

Edited by CC12345678910

I have been getting the short wall sorted, and now have sockets everywhere :) I still need to get the other 2 sections of strip lights in though.

I got a little too excited about putting my big bench in

2016-09-28%2014.56.05_zpsrytf09ry.jpg

Extractor arm now all functioning

2016-09-30%2012.50.56_zpszshsausd.jpg

Currently how it all stands, loads of stuff to be removed for sale/scrap which will make some room I hope!

2016-09-30%2018.22.28_zpsn9jpaikm.jpg

2016-09-30%2018.22.44_zpsqotoosxy.jpg

2016-09-30%2018.22.50_zpsfi9jqd2g.jpg

2016-09-30%2018.23.01_zpsbyvkhlxt.jpg

Wood workshop is a mess but is slowly losing all the metal work stuff, the Commer and the BMC will have to stay for now though.

2016-09-30%2018.23.15_zps20swhkan.jpg

2016-09-30%2018.23.08_zpsmbslclg2.jpg

• Like 6

If you have a MIG that works I will attend also. 

Civic arches SHOULD be finished this week coming. I have filler and high build primer on order so hopefully it will be in paint for the middle of October. 

Then I can turn my attention to the bits I enjoy. I.E: Suspension, brakes, engine. 
I collected my Yokohoma Advan AD08Rs last week. Lurrrrvely. 

Debating going K20/K24... 

Also wondering if I should transplant the B16 into the daily civic. I miss VTEC. 

Edited by SamKidney

Im also looking for another 99-00 Civic EJ9 1.4 for sale cheaps. 

My mates after one. I have two spare engines for them so one with a knackered engine would be ideal to swap one in. 

I personally am after a cheap EP3 Type R. Or a cheap K20A2 if anyone knows of an EP3 write off that needs removing. 

You don't need to be skilled to tig, get your gas right and as long as you can feed the filler rod then you're laughing. It's a lovely calm experience compared to the calamity and noise of mig.

I've only used my dads old inverter tig set which frankly lacks any real control over the arc and have produced some reasonably good welds with minimal practise. It's the only welding I've done so can't claim to be building on past experience. The mig coded welder at work said that my tig attempts were just as good as any that he's done.

If you get the chance, try it, you might be surprised at how easy it is :)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, CurtisRider said:

I have 2 MIG welders but currently no TIG :( I have an inverter welder which I may be able to use as a TIG? Some seem capable but i'll have to check!

A lot of tig is about control of the arc, striking current and ramp up / tail off. Add onto that the purging pre-gas and residual shielding after arc shut off and it can get complicated.

Of course you can manually control the gas and amperage but it's much easier if it's partially automated at least.

47 minutes ago, CurtisRider said:

I have 2 MIG welders but currently no TIG :( I have an inverter welder which I may be able to use as a TIG? Some seem capable but i'll have to check!

Phone double posted bah!

Edited by forteh