Olympic Opening Ceremony

JD™

So, who loved it?!

My sister had the stupid idea of a drinking game. Drink every time you see the Olympic rings, drink every time you see a big flag, and every time you see a member of the royal family stand, drink, and say 'god save the queen'.

Clever sister.

• Like 1

Wasn't planning on watching it at all, but started watching it on iPlayer about 30mins after it started and got hooked. Skipped to 'Live' once I got to the parade of athletes bit.

I can't begin to imagine what it'd be like having to direct that whole shebang - it sucks Joe, Bessell, Tunni and Joel got dropped, but it's still an amazing show and pretty incredible they managed to pull it off.

Jd, I didn't think you could get any more patriotic after seeing the front room pics but then you celebrate the ceremony with Britains number 1 pastime. What a hero!!! :bow:

Awww shucks. Just doing my bit.

Definitely had a giggle at the queen being completely not bothered, she must have been f**ked after that parachute jump ;)

• Like 1

Loved the way the famous Olympic rings were forged in that industrial revolution theme. Nice to see Queenie twiddling her friggin fingers when team GB took to the stage. Thank goodness the fireworks display was real and not some bullshit CGI like they did at the closing ceremony for Bejing Olympics. Somehow i cant see how bike trials could have fitted in with the whole theme of the games ceremony though maybe the organizers could fit Joe and co in the closing ceremony.

• Like 1

it sucks Joe, Bessell, Tunni and Joel got dropped,

Wait, what?

I didn't get to see it. Here in the USA, they didn't show it live, they showed it 4 hours later so they could have it in the prime time slot. The prime time slot is also known as when JT is at work.

I thought it was pretty shite, I've never seen an opening ceremony before and I wasn't expecting 2 hours of pain, I ended up going to bed. I thought the storybook bit was kinda cool, but it was hardly all encompassing, and the idea behind the change from rural Britain to industrial was cool, but again, too long. That's just me though.

My only issue was the BBC. The commentators were boring, at some point one said "my little cousin is in there somewhere" - who cares?

Secondly during the firework display they decided to play some f**king montage on the screen?

can we turn this into the general olympics discussion thread now? if so, what the f**k is dressage all about and why is it recognised as an olympic sport? in my current state of immobile i've got time to watch this stuff prety religiously and i'm trying to watch at least one round of each event... all good so far, but making a horse walk around in a squared of section is not an athletic feat, it's 'who's got the best horse' and it seemed like a waste of an event, they coulda got some rocks and skinny Europeans in lycra to trials it up in less space and with more awesomeness...

Yeah I saw that and wondered what the hell it was all about. Especially when the commentators got all excited and said "Ohhh look at that!!" but the slowmo was just a horse nodding its head. Massive waste of time.

If she's too old to crack a smile or even slightly acknowledge the GB Team she should step down.

This was broadcast pretty much all over the world, other Royals/Officially waved at their teams but she sat playing with her nails with a face like thunder; what a shame!