Do You Believe In Talent?

clerictgm

you don't believe in natural talent? watch the worlds top ten riders. you don't get to that level without it

Watch the TIME they spend on riding per week and compare to yours. I think all will become clear.

Edited by clerictgm

Natural talent does exist, be it at school or sport, perhaps any walk of life that some one is really good at. Most people have a talent for something and it is how that person (finds it) deals with it and their surroundings in life that give them the start. The best at (talking about trials here) this sport are the ones with the natural talent who are guided or have the mental dedication as well, to train and practice because the win or what ever the goal is the burning ambition. Natural talent and dedication is what makes champions, but the percentages of either can be one way or another.

Edited by kevind

Watch the TIME they spend on riding per week and compare to yours. I think all will become clear.

That time, effort and training is just to build on the natural talent that they have and to find the extra 1% that will make them win against the others with natural talent. It is the same at all elite levels, sports and otherwise.

• Like 1

Tottally disagree. Your level of enjoyment and will are the decider on how far you get there. And as for riding, many other factors come into play such as time, scene and spots.

I think you have to have all the ingredients that you mentioned, and the ones without natural talent can still become great at something with enough determination and effort and enjoyment. But add natural talent to that and you get the champions.

Yep. I also think everyone has a super good hidden talent but you just have to find it. Like I'm probably awesome at like knitting or something.

Thing is it takes quite a bit a time and dedication to set up and maintain. Who would watch over it?

Especially when people have full time jobs. This is why we should get old people to do it, they just sit around in homes not doing much. And knit.

You sure talk about knitting alot, maybe you are a secret one? :ninja:

• Like 1

id say talent is something that will spark an intrest and give you the patience youd need to ride at a high level, being talented would mean you'd find it easy at first. top level riders have been at it all day for years, thats experience imo.

Yep. I also think everyone has a super good hidden talent but you just have to find it. Like I'm probably awesome at like knitting or something.

make a trials one...

dsc09363.jpg?w=640&h=480

I think you have to have all the ingredients that you mentioned, and the ones without natural talent can still become great at something with enough determination and effort and enjoyment. But add natural talent to that and you get the champions.

Yep, think Usain Bolt, Steven Hawking, Einstein, Messi, Ronaldo.

But I wouldn't say Danny Mac has outstanding natural skill. IMO most good trials riders can do the trials bits and most good BMX'ers can do the BMX bits, he just has amazing production value, great spots and huge balls.

I believe some people are born with superior genes which makes them naturally good at certain things. However, I also believe that the majority of champions got to their level through hard work and dedication, and that almost anyone can be great at something if they spend enough time practicing.

Depends what you class as talent too - Some people are naturally better at some things because of their genetics (tall basketball players, higher number of fast twitch muscle fibres in sprinters etc) and some people have a lower self preservation instict (risk takers) which allow them to push themselves further.

Also helps if your dad takes you out of school and your whole life revolves around trials and you never do normal things (cousts, hermance)

But how long has he been riding?

Two years or so? I met him about a year ago and the ammount he's improved upon since then is rediculous.

Yes but at the age he is at he'll be changing a lot year in year. And getting stronger, so it is natural progression at that age. It is the same with Adam M, the amount he's come on in the last year will largely be because he is getting stronger so can do more powerful moves.

Obviously there is a natural talent in both of them though.

i think talent is to do with it as ive riding with damon watson for 4-5 years and even when he quits for a year first day out gaps 10 ft and 54 inch side hops first time without trying and he only ride a few nights a week and gets drunk the rest so i would have to say he is naturally talented

• Like 1

If by talent you mean the natural drive to do something for 10,000 hours because it's that important to you, that you keep pushing yourself and never get board and give up then yes that's what those people have. no one is just born and amazing trials rider or musician or artist it's learnt over many years of practice, you'v just got to have a passion for it.