Do You Stick To One Style?

alistair14

Right ..it's late and this popped into my mind ..I'm a sucker for sticking at one thing, and all i've ever really done in trials is TGS ..with a tiny bit of park/street but 99% TGS ..

Do you lot like to switch is up a lot? is best best too and why ?

Loads of questions to put but go crazy with the answers!!

Edited by alistair14

TGS but spins are fun. When it's a big obstacle I think of as many ways to get up it as possible. Up to front, sidehop, sidehop from two wheels to two, sidehope from two wheels to rear, sidehop to rear, brakeless sidehop, frenchie, bunnyhop brakeless, bunnyhop to rear, rolling up to front. everthang.

But when it's a small wall I get up and down it as creatively as possible, including over the top spinning, trying to get up and down in one line with no pedalling in between, all kinds of stuff like that, just variate to make it fun.

I like the idea of being fully committed to something, but I enjoy riding all sorts of ways (most of them, I'm rubbish at, but they're still fun :P) so I think to myself that the one thing I'm committed to is having fun on my bike ;)

If you exclusively ride one type of thing, and recently made a thread about being bored of riding, I think you've found your problem.

Nah, I'm basically a TGS whore, but my riding still depends on which kind of day it is. Not like monday street, tuesday TGS, I mean when I have my good days I only do TGS, but when I have my less good days I mix some street in too.

Just do what you enjoy basically:)

Yeah I get a confused by the type of 'style' thing..whilst I suppose on my tiny, short little bike that I manual and bunny hop everywhere it would appear i'm a street rider if I come across and object I want to mess around on - i'll do so with whatever method works. I do tend to do nothing static but an up to back is an up to back and so on.... so it's just trials.

Same as when I'm out on my Five. With the build I've got it would be classed as an All Mountain bike, but i'll ride any trail on offer. I've ridden a load of mountains in Scotland which vary from pootles along big pretty hills to black DH runs and sometimes a bit of street. To me it's just a mountain bike and I'm not fussed whether what i'm doing is Enduro, XC, All-Mountain, Trail, DH etc...

Whilst styles do certainly exist I think it's silly to get bogged down with them - surely everyone ends up just riding how they want and what they enjoy?

• Like 5

After watching TRA's video back to 2012 this morning. His riding on the hex seems to show he can do every style of riding on a bike that is particularly suited for street styled riding yet seeing him do wheel swaps is quite impressive on such a short wheelbase bike. Same when he was riding his echo last year he managed to add a flow style to that type of bike.

• Like 1

Im the same Ali.

Love TGS, but Ive ridden it for almost 3 years now.

I can feel myself progressing, and going bigger and bigger, but Im at that stage of progression which is achingly slow.

Going to slog it out and push myself to get my "next big thing". Riding the same areas doesnt help me much either....

I try ride natural as and when I can, and I enjoy it, but its the traveling needed to get there that puts me off.

Try ride different locations? Im going to try to, and enjoy riding some new places!

Edited by Echo Lite 09

That's assuming that TGS is the obvious starting point in to trials though..... it's not however.

Granted I started before there was such a thing as TGS, but when I started my friends and I just rode anything. When we'd go out it'd be a few BMXers, a few what would now be called street-trials riders, some guys on hard tail MTBs and one guy on a mod so everyone inspired and riffed off each other.

In theory i've pretty much always rode the same sort of way, whether it was when I started on a 15" frame, to the first ever T-rex, through a Koxx to a couple of Inspireds..... of course the bike influences you but you do tend to have a general approach.

Look at MacAskill - he still rode in a similar way in his Echo and Pashley years.... I think you often develop rather than do something for a specific time period then change.

NO! I started TGS but I hated it so much that I was ready to drop riding. But I realized that I'm doing something wrong and started to do only what I enjoy at the moment plus varied moves a lot. And now it feels great with a huge load of motivation.

Edited by clerictgm

NO! I started TGS but I hated it so much that I was ready to drop riding. But I realized that I'm doing something wrong and started to do only what I enjoy at the moment plus varied moves a lot. And now it feels great with a huge load of motivation.

I don´t understand how can someone do something that he hates by a choice?But good for you you found something better ;)

I like the idea of being fully committed to something, but I enjoy riding all sorts of ways (most of them, I'm rubbish at, but they're still fun :P) so I think to myself that the one thing I'm committed to is having fun on my bike ;)

If you exclusively ride one type of thing, and recently made a thread about being bored of riding, I think you've found your problem.

(Y)

Totally with this! I think it was Luke Rainbird who commented on a video "Yay for having fun on bikes!". And it's stuck with me for some reason! It's what its all about, i didn't pick up a bike thinking i want to get up this wall! I started trials because it looked fun! And i don't just ride trials between me and my other half we have 8 bike's that are all for different types of riding, street trials, comp style, park bike, cruise bike, go fast bikes, and all round FR MTB's. We may be out on the Xc bike's spot a cool rock and see what we can do with it, i mean i learnt the basics of trials on the longest jump bike it the world, so i don't think anything is impossible. Hence i have a 24 with peg's i love the idea that one day I'll find an upto back on a wall or ledge then hopping to a grind or something.

Although i think i am super weird because of my short attention span, i can't stay at the same spot for any longer than 30mins or i just want to go to sleep or not ride. Might also be because Blackpool has alot to ride, and i appreciate that a lot of trials rider's hometowns only have a wall that progressively gets bigger! If i didn't have a lot to ride and just a wall i would have never even got into trials let alone stuck at it! So i do have a lot of respect for riders that have had to do it. And they might arrive somewhere like the moonrocks and without a marked out route would not have a clue where to go on them.

The main thing i really don't understand is the people who ONLY RIDE TRIALS! Fair enough not having the money or space for 8 bike's, but i couldn't imagine just riding trials. I ride the bmx track and park on my 24 (taught me a lot!! especially when on the moonrocks, made me spot little lines with kickers verts etc) Xc & FR it's just fun and therapeutic, me and my other half also have time trials going on, on the way to work. We started with 14min times and have both been slowly getting the time down, just a bit of fun competition that you could do on your own. And obviously trials as it's my favourite, as it's rewarding, challenging, a great fitness regime and it pushes me to want to better myself at it. When i go in a sk8 park i'm quite happy to mill about not doing massive thing's. But with trials it doesn't have to be a massive side hop or gap, nor be stupidly dangerous to be rewarding.

LOL! Sorry for the rant just read it back through and i chat shit at times!

Edited by Miss-Higgy

All i've done is proper trials ..TGS with the odd spin ..thats pretty much it! I got bored of it cause there was noone who rides anymore around my area ..and the only one who did has just snapped his frame, so im back to riding alone!

I just find it easier to stick with this cause theres so many walls etc near me i can just go out and do a few lines ..sidehops, pedal ups etc and push my self more

All i've done is proper trials ..TGS with the odd spin ..thats pretty much it! I got bored of it cause there was noone who rides anymore around my area ..and the only one who did has just snapped his frame, so im back to riding alone!

I just find it easier to stick with this cause theres so many walls etc near me i can just go out and do a few lines ..sidehops, pedal ups etc and push my self more

Don't you ride with euan and his crew? I've seen him in on of your vids.

TGS, it's all an unambitious rider like me with 10+ years of experience can do. I long all day for the rush that getting up the same wall in the same way for the millionth time gives you. It's a stunning feeling of absolutely nothing at all. The climax of indifference. An ultimate meh coming from deep inside your heart. This is why I ride trials.

• Like 5