time for a serious talk about fat bastards...

ogre

Normally these days, I tend to try to be civil and reasonable on here, but on this occasion I'm not going to...

1. If you want to reply to me, click the quote button, that way I get a notification about it.

2. Read the article, it's summarising the results of a scientific study. If you had looked beyond the fact that it's from the Telegraph, you might have noticed that the first line of the article says "Research by the Institute of Economic Affairs argues". Equally the title of the article says "Obese and smokers less of a burden on the NHS than the healthy who live longer - report". The report shows that they are NOT a massive burden on the NHS, and that healthy people are actually a bigger burden overall. (Might not be true, but it's what the report states that the investigation found).

3. Don't tell me what to post and not what to post. It's a perfectly valid contribution to this debate. If you disagree, provide some evidence to disprove it, or alternatively, f**k off.

The rest of your reply honestly sickens me. How can you go through life being so vile and judgmental towards other people? Do you also hate people of a different colour of skin because they're (allegedly, I disagree) a massive drain on the economy? How about old people because they're living too long and costing a fortune in pensions?

Just to prove that I am actually attempting to be resonable and not just ripping all of your reply to shreds, I will agree on the point about childhood obesity. I don't buy it either, a 3rd seems too high. I'll also agree on your point about sugary drinks, taxing them highly is crazy, considering they already have VAT on them.

Why is everyone so bitchy about what I said.

Firstly ok, I have replied/quoted.

Secondly, my point is that it's still from the Telegraph, journalistic writers for newspapers don't make scientists, nor can they ever begin to comprehend the science.

Thirdly, seeing as you were doing points. Here is an article from the Journal of Public Health - The economic burden of ill health due to diet, physical inactivity, smoking, alcohol and obesity in the UK: an update to 2006–07 NHS costs.

Here's the link - http://jpubhealth.oxfordjournals.org/content/33/4/527.short

It summarises : Results In 2006–07, poor diet-related ill health cost the NHS in the UK £5.8 billion. The cost of physical inactivity was £0.9 billion. Smoking cost was £3.3 billion, alcohol cost £3.3 billion, overweight and obesity cost £5.1 billion

Ok so it doesn't test healthy people but from a scientific point of view, no one would be considered healthy if they had to attend the hospital (for chronic diseases, not acute or accidents)

Lastly,

The rest of your reply honestly sickens me. How can you go through life being so vile and judgmental towards other people? Do you also hate people of a different colour of skin because they're (allegedly, I disagree) a massive drain on the economy? How about old people because they're living too long and costing a fortune in pensions?

That is such a giant assumption to make and is actually hurtful, just because I hate fat people doesn't mean I'm some xenophobic nazi right wing dickhead.

My hate of fat people is based upon how physically disgusting it is too observe and how society treats it. I don't hate every fat person personally, I just hate the fact that they are fat.

If you recall, a few weeks a go I started a thread about gay marriage - advocating it should be allowed. I also have zero problem with people of different ethnic origins, I don't even do what most people do and say "Oh I'm not racist but it's not fair when they come to our country" because I don't buy that shit either. I also have no problem with old people, they are a delight to talk to and remind us of our heritage.

So just to re-iterate my point again,

hating fat people does not make me a judgmental willy, nor does it automatically mean I hate everyone else who is 'different' from me.

Thanks and fair well

I'm not discriminating anyone though am I? Absolutely pathetic. I'd expect that from a 12 year old but not someone who's been to uni.

I wonder if you'd feel the same if you got hit by a car and the paramedic on scene was obese? I'm guessing he'd rather not be around you either then.

Yeah but people who are discriminated against on a daily basis do not chose why they are hated for, people can't choose their skin colour and people can't choose their sexuality.

PEOPLE CAN CHOOSE TO EXERCISE AND CONTROL THEIR EATING.

Also, your example is void. I'd like to see someone in the medical profession who is obese. That would be ironic.

Yeah but people who are discriminated against on a daily basis do not chose why they are hated for, people can't choose their skin colour and people can't choose their sexuality.

PEOPLE CAN CHOOSE TO EXERCISE AND CONTROL THEIR EATING.

Also, your example is void. I'd like to see someone in the medical profession who is obese. That would be ironic.

This is rubbish. You're saying all larger people choose to be that way? I agree that some could avoid it but not all. Also how would an obese person in medical be ironic, you saying they cannot be clever?

2. Read the article, it's summarising the results of a scientific study. If you had looked beyond the fact that it's from the Telegraph, you might have noticed that the first line of the article says "Research by the Institute of Economic Affairs argues". Equally the title of the article says "Obese and smokers less of a burden on the NHS than the healthy who live longer - report". The report shows that they are NOT a massive burden on the NHS, and that healthy people are actually a bigger burden overall. (Might not be true, but it's what the report states that the investigation found).
To be fair, thats a terrible article with a lot of huge sweeping generalisations. I don't know whether its the mobile version of the site but it didnt link to the actual research paper either so you only get the reporters opinion on the investigation. The results are also biased in that they dont take into account external stimuli. What if a fat person was thin and lived 20 years longer than the truly obese death age of 35 but got hit by a car and died? MUCH lower nhs costs overall. Yet that doesn't get represented. The problem with the article is that it is almost trying to make a case to justify obesity by comparing it like its an illness, which it isn't. If people could be bothered they would care more for their bodies. You cannot compare peoples own self destruction against illnesses that cannot be helped. They can spend years maintaining equipment or cars but dont take the same care with themselves. It's lazyness that is a byproduct of our societies lack of education on healthy eating and the social idea that people shouldnt have pressure put on them and should be allowed to live how they want. While i'm all for the latter, in moderation, when it negatively affects other people it shouldnt be given the same carefree viewpoint.

now i'm no small guy im 6"1 and weigh in at 19.1st but you wouldnt know it by looking at me. I have a bit of a gut that i have tried for years to shift but to no avail, Ive changed diets ive increased and changed exercise etc but part of my genetic make up makes it very difficult for me to shift fat. I have a fairly active job aswell. I may not ride trials any more but I do MMA and thats one hell of a work out, the smallest i have been in the last 4 years is 17.6st. Am i a drain on the NHS? My dad is very similar he wears a XXXL shirt eats no more then any one else I know just what he does eat he's metabalism takes a long time to process, he's a coach driver and does a lot of work for cruise ships so is loading and unloading suitcases most of his day. He used to cycle to and from work 5 miles each way and the same as me never managed to lose the weight.

This is rubbish. You're saying all larger people choose to be that way? I agree that some could avoid it but not all. Also how would an obese person in medical be ironic, you saying they cannot be clever?

I would say most of them made the choice at some point in their life yes, I would also assume that most of them may be dissatisfied with their body image but make no attempt to alter it.

Wow you really misinterpreted that last part, no haha. I don't believe weist size is any way related to IQ. I'm saying that it would be ironic because most people in the medical profession know about healthy eating and the important of exercise ;)

Could you be on the desk in an airport serving some morbidly obese porkers and tell them they have to pay more?

I would love that job. I'd consider having a set of scales at the entry to the queue system to separate the fatties into a separate line that I could deal with. Thinking about it that line could be on a travelator thing going the wrong way so they have to keep walking to remain stationary. That way they could be burning calories while waiting for me to charge them extra for being fat. I need to put this to Dragon's Den I think...

In all seriousness though I don't have an issue with someone being obese until it starts affecting others. Aircraft/public transport is an obvious one but the drain on the benefits system for retards who eat themselves into a position where they can't leave their own home and need round the clock care is f**king ridiculous.

What really buggs me though is this new talk of taxing sugary drinks - How about f**k off ! Why should every other person who enjoys sugary drinks have to pay extra because some bloody beached whales can't control their diet. It's actually discrimination, factoring weightism and if the government allow that then I shall propose that I be allowed to throw burgers at fat people. I think it's only fair

throw lettuce or it will be like feeding time at the seal enclosure

• Like 1

You actually sicken me.

Pretty low to hate people because of their size.

How can you honestly say that they have made a choice in their lives that has led to it? You dont know anything. They may have a condition, been brought up in a way that has led to their size, etc...

Some of the nicest people I know are of a portly nature, and while I would agree that seriously obese persons do rely on the NHS budget etc... there's no telling what led to it.

I would bet that no person wakes up one morning and literally decides, "I'm going to eat until I'm fat." If it were that simple, people wouldn't be obese. The logical answer would be no.

But people are. People gain weight very gradually, and it can be hard to notice. Breaking out of a trend to alter that can be hard, which is why there are so many groups around the world that offer help.

Would you avoid/detest a member of your family if they were obese? Think about it that way.

Hate the bulk not the person.

Just because there fat doesn't make them a bad person, it just means they eat a lot and do very little.

I do have a dislike to obesety

It doesn't make them a bad person but it does possibly make them lazy and maybe a little retarded if they can't see the problems they're causing themselves.

• Like 1

I would say most of them made the choice at some point in their life yes, I would also assume that most of them may be dissatisfied with their body image but make no attempt to alter it.

Wow you really misinterpreted that last part, no haha. I don't believe weist size is any way related to IQ. I'm saying that it would be ironic because most people in the medical profession know about healthy eating and the important of exercise ;)

You remind me of this guy:

Fatguystrangler.png

• Like 1

You say, 'a third of children leave primary school overweight' but it that a BMI based calculation?

Because that can be so wrong, I'm classed as overweight by their scale. But I play rugby on the weekends and gym twice a week and am not (by my judgement) fat.

I do however think that there is scope for people who have medical problems due to them being clinically overweight may have to contribute when having treatment, which could work as a deterrent. This is assuming they are fat of their own accord, which would be pretty much impossible to prove/disprove I think. And also nobody would implement this law, as they would be hated by the world..

But if there is an obesity problem occurring, then surely action will have to take place sometime? It's probably just an information failure anyway..

Apparently according to the medical I have at work every year to drive a forklift truck, I'm obese, have a BMI of 27. I'm 5'10", and weigh 15 st 5lbs. I have a bit of a beer gut, but my lung capacity is massive, and I have never smoked. I bet I'm fitter than most non athlete people in my age group, my only crime is like a few beers and to eat the odd takeaway. I exercise regularly, I just look unsightly. Just because someone looks a bit portly doesn't mean they are an unhealthy binge eating and drinking layabout

• Like 1

I live in the land of the fat. And honestly it's purely a relativity thing. Some guy who's 5' 11" and weighs in at 230 here wouldn't really turn any heads. Where as in England that might be different. Also out here you see people used to and demand conveniences that you don't really get in England. Drive through banks and such. Another thing I noticed is people (not just fat people but just anyone) will get in a car to travel tiny distances like going a tenth of a mile instead of just walking. People seem confused every time I tell them I just walked over to the KFC on my lunch break and react as if it was two miles away (takes me 10 mins there and back).

General cultural laziness is defiantly one contributing factor. Another thing that doesn't help is not haven't a decent understanding of nutrition and food in general, and more importantly not understanding what empty calories are. I've told (whatever is the next category above 'morbidly') obese mother in law that the very first thing you need to do - even someone looking to lose just a pound or two, is to cut out empty calories (sugary drink), but people will just flat out refuse as it's become such a normal thing to consume. And again it's the relative aspect of it. Everyone else gets to do it why not me?

It's only going to get worse too. When I was a kid when we were done with school we'd go out riding bikes, running around, swimming etc. And this wasn't a conscious choice to keep active and be healthy, it's just what we wanted to do and did. Today it seems that that instinct is dying and to get kids out of the house is as hard to do as getting our generation back in.

That is one thing I don't do, drink fizzy pop, and the such like. If I do drink juice or anything like that, its usually pure orange. I won't let my little boy drink fizzy pop, or sit in front of the telly or on the iPad. I make him come out with me on the bike, or on his scooter so he's out in the fresh air, not getting fat playing on an Xbox or such like. I can't understand the mentality of some people, playing a golf/football/shooting/driving game. It's not a massive ball ache to go and do the real thing, like going and hitting a basket full of balls with the lads, playing 5 aside on a Tuesday night, going to the shooting club with my old man, or going for a thrash down a back lane in a knackered old diesel mondeo. I've never had an Xbox or anything, and I dont want one either. Pure laziness is a cause for today's obesity problem

I don't keep this a secret, I think fat people are pretty disgusting. They have to breathe heavily when making the smallest motion, and I can actually become nautious when they eat. I'm pretty open about this, and somehow people make a really big problem about it. They somehow feel personally offended and always play the victim role, like they couldn't do anything about their situation. Unless they have a digestive disease or something it's their own damn fault for eating like a pig.
But even skinny people try to defend people for being fat, I just don't get that.

I get abuse in school for being the weight I am, and all I have is less than 20% body fat. I exercise everyday(hard exercise, not doing squats with water bottles and all that bullshit), but being asked if I need a bra, or having someone pull their jumper out so they can impersonate me is actually really saddening, and if you think that abuse is alright then we have a problem. And if you hate my mother for the eating habits she has,you're going to be the one who ends up draining the NHS.

I live in the land of the fat. And honestly it's purely a relativity thing. Some guy who's 5' 11" and weighs in at 230 here wouldn't really turn any heads. Where as in England that might be different. Also out here you see people used to and demand conveniences that you don't really get in England. Drive through banks and such. Another thing I noticed is people (not just fat people but just anyone) will get in a car to travel tiny distances like going a tenth of a mile instead of just walking. People seem confused every time I tell them I just walked over to the KFC on my lunch break and react as if it was two miles away (takes me 10 mins there and back).

f**k ever moving to the USA.