iOS 7 - Worth it?

J.KYDD

I like it, but that's mainly because I feel like it's the way iOS should have been for a long time. I've been running the beta releases on my development phone for a while, and it's been pretty stable (although that phone isn't in day to day use) so I had no qualms about putting it on the main phone this morning.

Stuff like the new control centre is useful, and the flat design is nice and modern. It definitely hasn't re-invented the wheel though and it won't be like you're in the dark ages if you don't bother.

The amount of people complaining about it on Facebook is unreal.

Android wipes the floor with iOS, in every way. And if you don't like the look of Android, download an IOS launcher!! Boom, it looks like an iPhone but has a billion more features!

EDIT: Ignore that, Ios VS Android arguments lead nowhere.

Edited by Luke Dunstan
  • Like 1

I agree that Android is better, but my work phone is an iPhone so I've sacked off the personal Android as this one is free.

I have to say the new iOS looks a lot more like Android and feels like it too. Fundamentally I still prefer Android, but I think 7 is a hundred times better than previous versions.

Apple were very slow off the mark on this one though, this kind of update should have been around when the iPhone 4 was launched, not the iPhone 5S!

My perspective of it might be slanted as i'm a graphic designer, but from that point of view there is nothing out there like it. The attention to detail of it from a design and layout point of view in incredible. All the typography, text hierarchy and layout just makes it a joy to use. Every other OS i've seen is just disgusting in comparison and looks awful. It's got such an open and clean look (not necessarily the most beautiful colour choices) that for me that is reason alone to upgrade. I already like how an iPhone operates and many of the little niggles I had have been eradicated with the changes implemented. Everything else is now nicer to use and interact with.

Plus, on my 2 year old phone it was a simple upgrade, it's running great and can do nearly everything the new 5s offers so you can't complain. Whilst I don't know much of Android devices I'm lead to believe that would be an unusual occurrence.

Its all gone a bit too metro for me. Apple were the ones setting the high standards graphically.. the calendar page turns, the notes looking like an actual notebook. They have really lost touch with that now and gone down the same route that windows and google (web) have gone. Minimal, flat, light colours.. great.. time and a place... but its now been done and as said before it feels like apple are a few steps behind everyone else. Control center good to have but its been standard for so long on other platforms. The setting screen is particularly disgusting mind and I cant see how to shut down apps as I could before, nor adjust brightness as I used to. Overall very underwhelming but I expect that is due to the hype apple carries with it as a brand.

Shutting down apps is as simple as flicking them upwards when you're in the multitasking view (instead of having to hold them for a while then click the x), and adjusting brightness is done from the control centre. Being as that's accessible from any screen (including when the phone is locked) by swiping up from the bottom of the phone, I'd say that's a bit more useful than having to go to settings each time.

Clearly the move from skeuomorphism isn't for everyone, but personally I've always hated the fact that they tried to make a notepad look like a notepad. If I wanted to use something that looked like a notepad, I'd use a notepad, and I do.

I suppose that's the inevitable outcome with people having different tastes :)

Good-

Control centre for shortcuts to some settings

Scheduled dnd

Looks nice

More apps per folder.

Bad-

Email is f**ked for me due to loading info on the entire inbox not the latest 50

Airplay is lost from the music player to the control centre - pointless and annoying

The control centre rarely works first time - notification centre is fine top down but bottom up seems problematic due to the density of things at the bottom.

Safari is much more complicated to operate on a mobile screen especially foward and back?

All in all - shit.

Many of the new features in iOS 7 has already been available to jailbroken phones for ages, hence why I'm not so fussed with it at the moment since my iphone is jailbroken.

I will update it eventually, when iOS 7 gets jailbroken which is inevitable. I do like the new look of iOS 7 though, it's like the theme I'm using now but as standard.