Danny's bike stolen in Glasgow

monkeyseemonkeydo

may have been some guy who was look for tools (because the bike was stolen from a van) and must have got a surprise when he saw a trials bike, so took it anyway. i believe its quite common for tools to be stolen as i always see vans with "no tools or goods left in this van over night"

Or

1000x1000.jpg

For @mike and @tartyadam :P

• Like 3

I'm guessing his bike was inside his branded van?

I wouldn't be surprised if someone followed him home after a ride with the intent to steal it...

His vans not branded, no. Looks a bit like a workies van but instead of Daily Sports and empty gingie bottles, its Red Bull cans and Mens Fitness mags pressed between the dash and windscreen. :wink2:

I agree with your second point there.

Shout out to people using Strava. Please set your exclusion zone about a km/mile, from your start stop position. Its been known for thieves to checks these sorts of apps for places to steal road bikes etc..

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if someone followed him home after a ride with the intent to steal it...

He'd had his bike in the flat, then at a later stage de-built it and put it into the bike bag which then went into his van. There was a load of smashed glass from a car window next to where Danny's van was parked (but no car next to it any more when Danny found his bike was stolen) too so it could just have been some dicks going out to try and steal shit rather than it necessarily being a targeted thing.

I would usually feel 100% bad for anybody that has a bike nicked but surely he can just laugh it off and be sent a new one pretty soon? It's shit if he's got to use another bike for demos or cancell them. I wouldn't be that bothered if I was him

You're not incorrect - but the ease of replacement isn't really the issue.

If I went and stole £1,000,000 from Richard Branson, should he just shrug it off as irrelavant because he'll earn that back in about eight seconds?

Granted, it's less abhorrent than stealing a paycheck from someone on the breadline, but people shouldn't have to live in the knowledge that their stuff can be taken from them by people too lazy to go to work.

I understand some people HAVE to steal to stay alive, but I'm 99% confident this isn't one of those instances.

put it into the bike bag which then went into his van.

Was said bike bag obviously a posh bike bag, or a relatively inconspicuous one?

I'm intending a few trips where I will be using bike bags and would like to be reunited with my bike each time if possible :P

It wasn't a standard Skye framekit, so just getting a replacement isn't that easy. That was a completely fresh build he'd put together just before last weekend, and the only other framekit like that was the old one he'd had before then.

It was in his red Evoc bikebag, but I don't think the flashy-ness of the bikebag was really what caused it to get stolen.

He'd had his bike in the flat, then at a later stage de-built it and put it into the bike bag which then went into his van. There was a load of smashed glass from a car window next to where Danny's van was parked (but no car next to it any more when Danny found his bike was stolen) too so it could just have been some dicks going out to try and steal shit rather than it necessarily being a targeted thing.

Glad it doesn't seem to be targeted, it's not a great feeling when you know someone is out looking to hurt/steal from you.

Strange how this just 'appeared' on a bike buy and sell site on Facebook this morning. And the seller is Scottish. Reading through his profile he doesn't seem the sharpest tool in the box

https://m.facebook.com/groups/225868587455653?view=permalink&id=785708074805032

Edited by bing

Strange how this just 'appeared' on a bike buy and sell site on Facebook this morning. And the seller is Scottish. Reading through his profile he doesn't seem the sharpest tool in the box

https://m.facebook.com/groups/225868587455653?view=permalink&id=785708074805032

the fella's got a proper dh kit and setup going for him... I doubt foul play

There was a load of smashed glass from a car window next to where Danny's van was parked (but no car next to it any more when Danny found his bike was stolen) too so it could just have been some dicks going out to try and steal shit rather than it necessarily being a targeted thing.

As you say given the evidence of poss. another break in says this is most probably a random act where they'd have stolen absolutely anything, smash-grab-run kinda deal, although busting the doors (my assumtion based as to that's how it's usually done) should have taken longer than that. I would say I'm surprised neighbours etc. didn't hear anything, but no one ever bloody does, or will own up to it if they had.

people shouldn't have to live in the knowledge that their stuff can be taken from them by people too lazy to go to work.

I understand some people HAVE to steal to stay alive, but I'm 99% confident this isn't one of those instances.

I completely concur.

Guessing the arrangements security wise will thought about more, now that this has happened???

Leaving valuables in a vehicle on the street overnight will always carry risk, high crime area or not and although it's a odds thing i've always took the attitude that things can be done to swing those odds back in your favour.

Eg. I've seen inside a pro speedway racer's van and who was so precious about his gear staying his

(I don't mean that in a pisstakey way - it's his stuff, his investment, his has rights to protect it and after all, it's his livelihood at stake. It's effectively his tools like a hammer or power drill or saw is to a builder, and just in the way Danny's bike is his tools of the trade) that he'd made two 5mm thick steel 'L' brackets and welded them to the back doors so he could barricade them shut medieval style with a cut to length 8x4in piece of solid timber that had a former life in a barn roof.

He'd then load the 3 bikes n gear and sling two ratchet straps (breaking strength of around 2tonne each he assured me) round said timber, rigging it round the base of the passenger seat though a holes in the bulkhead, then hooking it to the side door and ratcheting the whole lot down tight. Add in the fact that his bull terrier liked to sleep in there and get high off the methanol fumes :giggle: and I declared it to be ned/chav/stripey jumper wearing cnt proof.

Even if the van got driven off somewhere and immobilisers/good alarms mean this is less likely these days, (I'm sure most people will know the easy steal is the stuff int back) the thieving twats still can't get in the back Haahhaha.

That is most deffo the route I'm going to take if I do ever get me van.

Edited by CC12345678910

First world country, kek. Don't you guys afraid to walk down the street late there?

Don't want to laugh at Danny but this is funnily stupid. Who needs his bike? What an idiot?

No. Because in Scotland their brave.

Don't laugh at Danny then. The only thing that is UNFUNNILY stupid is the d**k that stole it, and as regards to who needs his bike?

iii doooo.