Scholarship grant

Herbertlemon102

So I've just received my engineering scholarship and sponsor from Warwick university, and with it comes £300 a year to spend on "engineering related studies" (even though they have no way of checking what I spend it on) so I thought I'd build a mod frame. Onza tpro has already given some amazing ideas, as I just moved this from chit chat, but I'd like some ideas and inspiration for aesthetics and function. I have free reign over what I can do. Things like the disc mount being inbetween the two stays, etc. I'd just like to hear peoples ideas , I'm really looking forward to this and want to include a bunch if features!

"You could try magura mounts on the chainstay or underside of the seatstay? It may not be 100% efficient, but it would look hella cool you could also put the disc mount in the gap between the gap between the chainstay and seatstay rather than on top of it... It should have a sprung tensioner, but on top of the chainstay rather than hanging below so you can't bash it, but you retain the auto-tensioning, set and forget functionality Integrated seat, like an ashton? Definitely 135mm rear spacing so you can run a hope hub! You could play around with tubing profiles and materials to prevent denting downtubes and retaining strength elsewhere I guess... How about having the head bearings seat straight into the headtube? Bolt through axles? " ---here are some idea from the chit chat post

This is by no means a masterpiece, only a visual representation of my previous post :P

It is also nowhere near to scale nor close to pretty as of yet :P

Please ignore the integrated rotor protector too, I'm not too keen on it.

20141101_184903_zps9jnohiuy.jpg

20141101_185124_zpst1h3wwgx.jpg

And Herb, please don't post any of your sketches because you'll make my drawing look even worse than it already does :P

And Herb, please don't post any of your sketches because you'll make my drawing look even worse than it already does :P

now I'm tempted to get out my pen :P do you know what would be interesting? Fitting it with an EBB- eccentric bottom bracket, where the bb is not centered, and you tighten the chain by adjusting the BBs position. Carbon belt drive bikes have them often.
  • Like 2

i think you could build it for an adult wheelsize,24 or something :)

nah, joking,just liked to add that theres no way for a disc brake between the stays other than having a bent seatstay,which looks plain weird ;)

looking forward to seeing this happen.

i think it was koxx who did it on a mod but whoever it was it looked really good

First idea- I have no idea what's acceptable geo wise, but here's what they are-

Wb: 1000mm

Chainstay: 340mm

Bb: +100mm <---(going mad)

Reach: (measured from top of seat post/tube to headtube) 540mm

Head angle of 70 degrees/ or 120 depending which was you measure it from, it's 20 degrees from vertical.

I've put the disc mount inbetween the two stays, measured to fit my Deore.

post-37174-0-93465600-1415030084_thumb.j

First idea- I have no idea what's acceptable geo wise, but here's what they are-

Wb: 1000mm

Chainstay: 340mm

Bb: +100mm <---(going mad)

Reach: (measured from top of seat post/tube to headtube) 540mm

Head angle of 70 degrees/ or 120 depending which was you measure it from, it's 20 degrees from vertical.

I've put the disc mount inbetween the two stays, measured to fit my Deore.

As said, crazy short stays might not be feasible, certainly will feel pretty nasty/odd with such a high BB.

Reach is measure from the centre of the BB to top centre of the headtube, what you've measure there is the reach. What figure do you come out with when measuring the actual reach?

Why such a slack head angle? Was this to achieve the desired wheelbase?

As said, crazy short stays might not be feasible, certainly will feel pretty nasty/odd with such a high BB.

Reach is measure from the centre of the BB to top centre of the headtube, what you've measure there is the reach. What figure do you come out with when measuring the actual reach?

Why such a slack head angle? Was this to achieve the desired wheelbase?

who even knows, I've just looked at it again and laughed.

hi

On my list some internal alu tubes with 6m threads in the ends (one in the headtube and one near the rear brake mount..No more brake hose hanging around....) Just a clean internal hydraulic tube. not sure what wall thickness one would need to handle the pressure...Same goes with the fork..and let it mount in the top of the fork with a banjo bolt...

/stefan have a nice day

• Like 1