2015 Marino Moth

LEON

...What - like pretty much every street-oriented trials bike has been doing for the past 4-5 years?

This doesn't break any moulds - it's a slight tweak to suit his preference.

I don't really understand anally sticking below 1000mm seemingly just for the sake of it. (Unless it's a massive coincidence that he wanted that reach and head-angle, which worked out at 999mm.)

Looks a bit weird for some reason. Maybe it's the ridiculously high front end, or maybe just because it's so steep (or a combination thereof).

Doesn't look bad, but it's not for me :P

It's not really an anal thing....I asked for 1000mm which is the rough ballpark of most street frames, and pretty much what I've had for the last 4 years, but I wanted more room so I kept the wheelbase where it was and got a lot more reach, longer top tube & slightly lower bb. If you'd like anal measurements, the wheelbase actually measures 999 not 1000, and if you want super deep anal then the bb is more like +14mm than +15mm. But I can live with that.

I've always had super cramped bikes, bruised thighs and no room, I always played it safe with geo so I took a risk & thought maybe it'd end up too long but it feels about right so far, it has way more reach but doesn't seem to suffer anywhere for it.

I prefer the look of a slightly lower front end too, but I'm a decent height, and that is the amount of spacers that it needs to ride the way I need it to, not much I can do about that. But that's height, posture, personal preference, style etc, everyone and every bike is different. I could do an Ozonys and have 80mm of stackers and a 0 degree rise stem.

These are my first horizontal dropouts in 17 years, I'm glad I got some.

Edited by LEON
  • Like 1

For me, these bikes are starting to look abit weird with all these stackers, then a high rise stem, then high rise bars?! Does anybody just run a set of bmx bars? Would probably look better and feel pretty cool for all this bmx-trials thats going on now days.. Obviosly would want a 80/90/100 stem with 22mm clamp which might be a problem but you could probs shim a 25.4 or something. I dno.. theyre just starting to look abit retarded up front to me.

Maybe could get a custom stem cnc'd that's 90mm or whatever??

Otherwise, technically.. a very nice bike and hope it rides well for you!

(edited to try sound more polite :)

Edited by sharn

bmx bars are pretty heavy though, on a bigger bike like this with brakes and heavier tyres and stuff it all adds up. I think it looks better than long stems with forward bars still :P

On to the bike though, it's super clean looking! Love the colour too. From personal experience a long stem (90mm+) on a steep head angled bike makes them a bit too twitchy for me, Ive jack knifed my bike a few times when trying different stems. If that works for you then all is well though, just if you find carving for spins a bit odd you could just try a slightly shorter stem and see if that helps.

Make a vid BTW

• Like 1

Cheers, the problem with big bars is that there's lots of leverage to spin them in the stem clamp, I had it quite a lot on old stems with big bunny hop gaps and some gap drops. I won't use m5 threads on a stem anymore and I've stripped a couple. Trust me, that would only be worse with 8 or 9 inch rise bars instead of 3" or 4". Plus, it'd look far more retarded than the most retarded street trials bike.

It's been like that since the start of 24" street trials bikes, personally I think mod stems look retarded, but it's just always been that way and obviously works.

Cheers Ali! I had months to buy all the right parts for it :) While it's a steep head angle, my forks are 30mm offset unlike the Arcades 25mm so that should blunt the effect a little bit. I definitely wouldn't want it any steeper! It's still lively though. I'll try and have a proper ride this week but with this weather I think it's gonna be skateparks for a while! Probably several trips to Corby.

I haven't got a shorter stem to try but I did think about a 70mm, I'll see if I can get a Hope or something else slightly shorter than mine. Have you ever had your bars spin in a Hope stem? I weigh one metric ton and it puts me off doing gap drops.

Aye, you guys might be right .. i was just sortof thinking out loud and hoping for opinions! I just thought as it seems people are approaching that same sort of bar height it might work! ( And for some reason i quite like the look of the latest 24" bmxs - i think i just like to see a stem very near the headset i dunno why :S) I do see the problem with the bar slippage though thats why i suggested a custom cnc'd stem ( which i imagine you didnt see as you mustv'e been typing) .. i imagined m6 bolts obviously?

I dno, thought it was worth throwing out there. And that maybe you Pros might like the idea? But heh.. It's you's whos gotta ride and develop them at end of the day.. Just out of curiosity have either of you tried it before? If so what was it like on these new age street trials rigs?

Hmm weight wise.. I guess that's true. But whats the total weight of all that extra steerer taken off the weight of a set of bars? Your'e all strong lads.. you can hack it i'm sure!

I still think it'd look pretty dope :D Definitely unique! Obviously would only be suitable for a dedicated street rig.

( Sorry, retarded sounded harsh, i just meant it seems like the fine balance has been lost a bit. Like the golden ratio in art.. It's something to do with Fibinacci i'm sure :shifty:

Ok cool, I might try a 70 ish x 35 if I can, just to see how it compares.

Yeah I know what you mean Sharn, I prefer the stem closer to the headset, I think the new Skye has the best proportions of any street bike, it just looks right. But no I've never been tempted to try bmx bars, do they come wide enough? My bars are 30" and anything less seems weird now.

M6 bolts are the norm yeah, But I think bmx's have M8 threads. The Trialtech 25deg and 35deg were always either too low or too high for my older frames, this time the 35 seems about right so I'm happy with it for now.

Edited by LEON

This is how ti'd like with bmx bars.

You see, for me.. that looks quite nice. Theres that balance to it in my eyes. Although i do abide by the strict *bmx bars should be inline with the forks* rule ( or a smidgein laid back - which might be in need to componsate the aesthetic of a longer stem) so a longer 70/80mm stem would need to be sought. Maybe someone will try it one day..

Anyway, thats enough computer for me for today.

Ride on fellows (A)

Edited by sharn

Moving from 70 to 74.5-75 degrees headangle is pretty big step up.

Cool. That's absolutely not what your wording led me to think you were trying to say. I apparently read things in other ways to than how they were intended quite often, and the misunderstanding causes quite a bit of friction :P

• Like 1

Cool. That's absolutely not what your wording led me to think you were trying to say. I apparently read things in other ways to than how they were intended quite often, and the misunderstanding causes quite a bit of friction :P

I agreed with Flipp on his first post, seen as Marino makes custom geo's to suit riders you can't really say his bikes have stepped up just because of the geo then quoting a bike from 2010 and completely skipping out other bikes Marino has made for Leon in the meantime doesn't really prove your point.

I like the look of this admittedly when Leon told me the colour scheme I was like :sick: but now I am like :rockon: (high front ends are fun!)

• Like 1

Ali is one babystep ahead of you on that front :P

But my 12 year old self was 8 years ahead with these genius ideas :P

I was thinking how I could set up my bike differenty and had a few ideas:

26inch wheel at the front 24inch rear. (stock frame)

Normal looking saddle (not mini)

BMX handle bars these uns http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/Sunday-Colo...7-pr-22551.html

Rigid dirtjump forks http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=15679 (strong ones)

Was thinkin of making a trials bike that could be used for jumps and skate parks ,any other ideas?