Hope Rim Brake

niconj

Hope's TPA idea looks interesting. But I think it's over complicated for what a TPA is for and is just another potential place to leak. I would much rather see a hope CNC'd '04 maggy lever.

And with hope parts being pretty user serviceable, I would like to see serviceable slaves.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, niconj said:

Probably won't leak or break easily so I'd disagree with you on that.

The use of the word 'probably' means I will completely disregard any argument you'd make to the contrary of Marks. You or I don't know how good it'll be long term, and after its taken some smashes to the side of the slaves / fittings / lever. I hope the hope brake has been tested by a basher, because they will be the type of customers who will be looking for warranties, not the 'professionals' of the world who don't fall off as often...

Maguras are really good quality brakes, so long as you don't regularly smash into them or play with them too much. Bash them lots and f*ck around with them, and they don't work, same case goes for any other manufacturer in my opinion. Hope are entering the market late, i am sure they know about that,  and that their production run quantity will reflect this initially. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, niconj said:

Probably won't leak or break easily so I'd disagree with you on that.

Heavier = counts against them for most of the comp scene.

Likely to be mega expensive = counts against them for most other people.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Mark W said:

Heavier = counts against them for most of the comp scene.

Likely to be mega expensive = counts against them for most other people.

More than Racing Line? I don't think so. 

Edited by niconj

I know the TPA design looks a little OTT / ugly, but actually, from a design point of view, looks to be in a very good position for being able to adjust with one finger, while keeping your hands on the handlebar as well as being in a protected location (we all know what happens to the '04 Maggie TPA's).

The lever blade design (in terms of ergonomics) doesn't seem to have had too much thought though, i've always found Hope Lever blades a bit 'meh'.  I think that is something that might want to be updated in the long term?

since probably quite a lot of people run a trial zone / hs33 combo, i wonder why they aren't leaning more towards the trial zone disc brake levers designwise.  i guess many would like that, if just for tidyness on the handlebars. probably just not feasible.

also very interested if the slaves will be an improvement over the maguras.

3 hours ago, Herbertlemon102 said:

even the established competition have had a fair measure of problems and issues where hope only has a strong reputation. and even now theres decent ffws on the market people still want pro2s...

Yeah, but I was referring to volume of sales.  The amount of people running a Hope rear hub compared to FFW is properly minimal whereas they used to hold a greater market share.

I actually checked their B2B before e-mailing them as I assumed they'd already be available but we just hadn't been told/no-one had mentioned it online.  It was pure luck we got the Trial Zone V2 rotors when we did, and even then when we did the guy I spoke to on the phone told me they had no plans to change from the original Trial Zone so didn't know what they were.  I had to send them a photo of them to clarify, then we got told they were the new version...

2 hours ago, Ross McArthur said:

"haha, look at all these twats spending fortunes on marketing", Said Mr Hope man.

I enjoy that their marketing push is "We don't do marketing". 

That's not what all the little flyers/brochures you sent us with that printed on the front are sayin'.

• Like 2

On 26 March 2016 at 8:27 PM, onzatpro09 said:

I thought they were just trialzones mounted vertically with a banjo?

Screenshot_2016-03-27-20-17-46.png

Yes that's a trial zone in that, I thought they had made another with a slightly different design for Ashton at one point but I may be totally wrong, from memory the hope I had a go with didn't have the same tpa design, it felt ok but not as good as a racing line (performance) not quality, I did have a photo on my old phone. 

• Like 1