The Power Tool Thread

isitafox

Just to clarify this isn't it the thread for all the bellends of the forum over the last few years! 

My cordless drill has finally shit the bed so I'm in the market for a replacement but I'm obviously a cheapskate and it's mainly DIY use so want to spend as little as possible. 

Currently looking at either a refurb set from Screwfix https://www.screwfix.com/p/refurb-erbauer-eid18-li-ecd18-li-2-18v-2-0ah-li-ion-ext-brushless-cordless-twin-pack/916xr or this budget set brand new https://www.toolstation.com/bauker-18v-cordless-combi-drill-impact-driver-twin-pack/p64416?store=NR&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&mkwid=_dm&pcrid=560268661338&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=CjwKCAjwur-SBhB6EiwA5sKtjhFjnP-0WUSKnPbeBs8ol0dcWXY8x9j70LZRsewgEO_FEn-7BjdxsRoCvswQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds if anyone has any advice? 

can't comment on those but if you're going cordless then it's worth finding a brand that use the same batteries throughout it's range.

I decided to get the Ryobi One+ sander for my house and they use the same battery for hundreds of tools and give the option of buying them without batteries to save money if you already have some, I've since got one of their hammer drills and a grinder and am very happy with them

• Like 1

Was gonna go Ryobi one as that's what my old one was but the first drill I linked has the same kind of interchangeable battery setup (I think most have gone that way since Ryobi) and the price of Ryobi stuff seems to have shot up a lot from what it used to be

If you want to be a super cheapskate then have a look at Aldi Ferrex gear. It comes with a 3 year warranty and they are pretty good at replacing stuff from my experience.

You can't really go too far wrong with the Ryobi stuff though and as Ali says they have hundreds of tools (even lawnmowers etc) that use the same battery if you end up buying something else.

7 hours ago, isitafox said:

Just to clarify this isn't it the thread for all the bellends of the forum over the last few years! 

but I have relevant information for once... 

Only kidding, its not that relevant, but Ive never had great experiences with the erbauer stuff, its all died relatively quickly. I got my hitachi combo on a hotdeal and its been great. Both screw fix and toolies regularly run deals on drill/drivers so maybe wait for a good one on special

• Like 1

Recently bought this after my Makita died, it was 9 years old and well abused. 

Screwfix had a £10 off in store promo on a random Friday  I also had a £25 off voucher they send you in the post so I got £35 off it so worked out as £165. Not sure how I but also got a free set of Dewalt driver bits. 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dck2060m2t-sfgb-18v-4-0ah-li-ion-xr-brushless-cordless-twin-pack/362jt

eBay had a 20% deal voucher thing so I got 3rd battery for £37.27 delivered and it’s genuine  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143501462340?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=iZgNSFVPTsO&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=a7YOcu6wRGi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

It’s nice having the twin setup as can drill with one and then screw with the other and not having to dick around with bits and adapters, plus battery life is good. The 3rd extra battery is hand as I can carry on 

Edited by PLIW

I don't use cordless but I do still use the Bosch pistol drill that my dad got me for my 15th birthday, similarly I also have a 20+ year old Makita pistol drill (inherited off my dad).

I had a Ryobi jigsaw and it was ok, but then I picked up a Bosch pro one (again inherited) and it's worlds apart, so much smoother and accurate.

Completely not the question you wanted answered but if you're buying tools buy cheap but twice at least.

Ended up ordering a ryobi driver. 

Pulled apart my other two ryobi's, one is properly dead but the other was just crusty and manky on the motor so cleaned up and fingers crossed the battery will charge with the new charger and I'll have two working drills again. 

I've also taken a dive into the Ryobi ecosystem - hedge trimmer, strimmer, drill and handheld vacuum so far... more to come I'm sure.

They're probably not the most powerful tools you can get, but the convenience of one battery is great and they're enough for the average DIY guy I would say.

Just added a DEWALT DCS355N-XJ 18V Li-Ion Cordless Brushless Oscillating Multi-Tool. Had a refund from Amazon for a large network switch that arrived damaged so treated my self. 

Wow this this is amazing. Takes a bit of getting use to on how to use and hold it but once you master it you like a ninja. Been using it non stop. 

• 1 month later...

Granted I'm coming from USA so the budget tools are different, but the big brand are the same. I used Ryobi for years for everything and they worked, a few of their newer tools are really nice. Now I'm doing carpentry full time and switching to DeWalt for the things I use daily and the quality and power difference is pretty awesome. But if you already have Ryobi batteries they are pretty decent for 90% and the price is pretty good.

Edited by cwtrials