Apparantly New Echo Brakes - Seen On Otn

ben_travis

I find it rather interesting that Deng is the only person to have tried to compete with Magura by designing a hydraulic rim brake.

To be honest, though, it looks really tacky. But, i'm sure Deng will make it looks nice and pretty when it comes to the final stage if it even gets that far...

Cheers,

Joe.

B)-->

QUOTE(joe b @ Dec 29 2006, 11:03 PM)
I find it rather interesting that Deng is the only person to have tried to compete with Magura by designing a hydraulic rim brake.

To be honest, though, it looks really tacky. But, i'm sure Deng will make it looks nice and pretty when it comes to the final stage if it even gets that far...

Cheers,

Joe.

no one else needs to make a newer version, its fine for all other cycling diciplines, trials is the only one that really requires savage brakes, other companies such as koxx or monty are probably either happy with maguras or use dual disc brakes. deng is one of the only manufacturers who really gives people good quality parts that work well, are light and strong, in most instances

I think it looks really sweet. It does not really look tacky to me but people have there own opinions. As for the CNC side of things, Personally i think he will make the whole system CNC'D (Obviously no the hosing) but surely it would make things more expensive but yet stronger at the same time. The color range sounds nice at the moment but what would be a winner is if he made them in the race line yellow color like the old 04 style, That would be awesome.

All we can do is see what it comes out like.

I think i will be purchasing them anyway.

Dan.........

Im in two minds weather these look good or not. But i really dont think they are Deng..... surely not as he is using the Hope Lever. Ohh well cant wait for more info.

Its not a hope lever, its just similar to one. this has more bracing around where the piston rod is located than a hope. I'm loving the way that the area your finger sits in looks a lot more like the hopes, as hopefully the feel will match a bit better, I love the hopes.

That ain't no CNC, lads. Edges ain't sharp enough.

Looks cheap.

Looks like there ain't gonna be much advantage (bar the slightly smaller size) over maggies.

Looks like someone's either gonna get their ass sued or fork out a fortune to Magura for the license to make 'em.

Looks cack IMO.

Plus, where are the cables?!?

Now when someone invents radio-controlled/bluetooth/infra-red/whatever braking, THEN I'll be interested ;) Cables? Hoses? Sod that...

'Course then someone could hack your brakes mid-drop. Bad news.

Edited by Jez

Afew points:

-I have noticed reading this thread, everyone disses Deng for his colourful parts but without him, nearly everyone would be left dengless with half complete bikes..Only the real street nuts or sponsored people (Waynio springs to mind first) would be left with complete bikes. He made the 06 Echo rims which were a disaster but he got them sorted out for 07, which pleased a majority, he does loads for the market and I think its time people gave him credit for it....

-Noone has confirmed these are HOD products completely yet, as some guy found more pics from a different manufacturer, so might it be possible these could be a prototype Magura '08 brake or something? although the lack of branding seems confusing for any company. Time will tell...

That ain't no CNC, lads. Edges ain't sharp enough.

Looks cheap.

Looks like there ain't gonna be much advantage (bar the slightly smaller size) over maggies.

Looks like someone's either gonna get their ass sued or fork out a fortune to Magura for the license to make 'em.

Looks cack IMO.

Plus, where are the cables?!?

Now when someone invents radio-controlled/bluetooth/infra-red/whatever braking, THEN I'll be interested ;) Cables? Hoses? Sod that...

'Course then someone could hack your brakes mid-drop. Bad news.

lmao! o shit my bluetooth hasnt connected im gonna die!! lol

The way I stand on it is: Love echo, been around for years, really contributed to trials. Zoo, kinda, but not quite as much, still alright though. GUs, Frames were/are original, parts are just echo/zoo.

Adamant, Czar, and GU parts are just trying to make money, and are the least original things ever.

I respect Deng, its just if he'd kept it to Echo and Zoo, I'd respect him a hell of a lot more. There's so little variation with most of it that 2 makes would easily have been enough to market it all.

i think it'll be great if they could produce an alternative to maggies, development and improvement is pushed through competition, i mean magura dont exactly strive to improve their design. they brought out new evo mounts, wupty do! levers changed; tpa's got worse (or so ive been told). be good to have a potentially a more powerful, lighter, easier to set-up and adjust hydraulic rim brake.

whoever's making them i hope they come into production, mind you by the time they do, discs will be awesome and frames will bea ble to deal with them happily!

couple of points here, everyones saying theres basically maggies, with a new hope style lever. no ones even dared mention that they could be hugely different internally. unlikely to be majorly different, as its still 2 sets of pistons(1 master, 2 slave) and pressure between them making the brake work, but altered diameters,closed/open reservoirs, different seals, etc. so could be running on a DOT 4/5 set up.

as for the comment, the slave cylinders look like maggies, of course there gunna look like maggies. as if they didnt theyd never catch on. if it had a different mounting system. then to change to them, wed have to buy a new frame, new mounts,new booster and the brake set up. pretty big outlay so wouldnt be as popular, whereas this would mean could be run on all the existing frames, and would mean no industry standard would need to be changed.

also bare in mind, Deng has got a lot of parts already on the market, would be stupid to make everything incompatible, makes a lot of sense for the new system to match up with the old mounts, and old boosters.

as for whether its deng, im still unsure, could be a home brew jobbie leaked onto the net by someone and a story made up for all we know.could be maggie protos,deng protos, small independant company protos,or hope prototypes(sayin hope as the levers very hope-esque,and also there a company thats no realising the potential in the trials community, with the pro 2-trials specific hub,trials specific disc as it is. and there aware a lot of there headset and stem jobs are going to trials riders)

From the talk on OTN it would seem that this brake is a prototype from Yao Zhi and apparently he will be none too happy to find out that the design has been leaked onto the net as the utmost care seems to have been taken to keep it secret.

There's also talk that there IS an Echo brake and that this is going to be released in February...

lol that's funny. Neil saying that's Echo brake, Australia Zhi dealer says that is Zhi brake. Who we should trust?? I only know from deng his brake is going to be released in January and I should already have pics this week. But unluckily that hasn't happened. Those pics I uploaded are from Yao site so I guess homie from Australia is right:D

Sorry guys;p

And about deng... Everyone is complaining about him and telling how shit he is, but look at your bike? Most of you would stop buying this parts if they wouldn't be so pimped, coloured etc.! Plus I have to say that their quality is pretty decent. Also one more time look at your bike and think, yes that's right! you also have deng's stuff!!:)

i reckon everyone on here has had a bit of deng on them at some point. i like his parts and i think he has made a massive change to trials.

JK

find a deng part on my bike and i will give you a million £

and i will never buy a deng part.

Edited by Oskar