New Simtra Products!

christian@simtrabikes.com

Here is a picture of the tensionner. It is home made by james.

DSCN0344.JPG

Here is what the geo looks like so far for the proto.

+55mm bb

1015mm wb

360mm cs

71 degree head angle

MOD is a full proto, nothing is set on it. Apart that for sure I am going with 135mm spacing and that the TT will have a curve to match the ST-1.

James and Jeff who are testing these and they will report back and changes will be made as per there recommendation.

What's the reason behind going for 135 spacing? I had heard hope are rumoured to be bringing out a mod spacing pro2, so I wouldn't make hub choice my first guess...

I'm not a fan of the vertical dropout's purley because you need a tensioner rather than simple snail cams. I don't under stand how people can say that horizontal dropouts are a pain in the ass, if they actually know how they work. My chain went a bit loose last night, all I had to do was loosen the 5mm allen bolt, and put my snail cam back by one click, tighten up, and back to the sections....

Main reason when design started was to be able to fit stock parts on a MOD frame. I wanted someone to be able to use parts that are easely findable or just liying around and use it on a MOD. In fact I see it more as a mini stock than a MOD.

As for the vertical mounts.. just find it really less of a pain. Just put your wheel in the drop out and it's done. No movement.

My chain went a bit loose last night, all I had to do was loosen the 5mm allen bolt, and put my snail cam back by one click, tighten up, and back to the sections....

My chain didn't come loose at all last night because i have vertical dropouts as i have a stock. Its alot easier to just shove wheel in and away you go rather than have to faff with cams. And with that in mind this frame is appealing to me alot.

Main reason when design started was to be able to fit stock parts on a MOD frame. I wanted someone to be able to use parts that are easely findable or just liying around and use it on a MOD. In fact I see it more as a mini stock than a MOD.

As for the vertical mounts.. just find it really less of a pain. Just put your wheel in the drop out and it's done. No movement.

to be honest puting vert dropouts and 135mm spacing will seriously reduce the chances of selling alot. people with profiles or bmx kings will probably not buy your frames. these days people dont just use parts lying around. they use top end trials componants. i strongly advise you to use standard 110 spacing and horizontal dropouts ( one of the best features on a mod is lack of tensioner to damage and leaves clean lines.

My chain didn't come loose at all last night because i have vertical dropouts as i have a stock. Its alot easier to just shove wheel in and away you go rather than have to faff with cams. And with that in mind this frame is appealing to me alot.

Yes, but you ride stock, horizontal dropout's and no de-raileur/sprung style tensioner are part of what differeniates (spelling goes out the window now) stock's from mods. Chris has pretty much summed it up.

Why would one want to fit stock part's on a mod frame anyway? It's not like it would allow the user to swap wheels between two bikes (not without a wheel build and two set's of spokes) I'm not trying to be awkward I am geniunely interested if there are any mechanical benefit's. I doubt being able to transfer a hub from one bike to another would be a deciding factor when purchasing, after all at the minute all you could bring over would be brake's, bars, bottom bracket, perhaps cranks, pedals. Main things like wheels, stem, forks, tyres, etc all need changed anyway.

I just don't think changing something for the sake of changing it is justified, im all for innovation but only when backed up with solid reasons....

• 1 month later...

I think the 135 spacing is a great idea as it means you can run pritty much all brands of hubs, as king come in both sizes so do profiles so theres no problems with using them. Also theres a big ranage of fixed hubs and there also the likes of hope hubs you can use. And a big thing is also if you decide to change to stock it saves you buying a new rear hub.

Ooooooooh i like the new proto, new geometry sounds very nice, would be similar ish to the ozonys.....

How much has the new tubing set bought the weight down?

I realy think that you should keep the integrated booster as it was then possible for people to have a very good brake without the need to spend out more money on a booster which they would have to do if it didn't have one.

I loved my simtra but the only problem i had was that the wheelbase was just that little bit to short, perhaps the new proto will be better, although i think lowering the BB to possibly 30-35mm would be better....

And from after reading OTN and some of the sugestions i would say not to get rid of the disc mounts either, as it is one MASSIVE selling point of the simtra!

Adam

Yep, keep the disc mount and integrated brake booster! The disc mount is why I bought the frame in first place.

I also really loved my Simtra but I found it just a bit too long, being only 170cm tall I find the Czar short much easyer to throw around. And reading that bigman found the previous version a tad too short maybe you could do two versions of the frame? One in ~1070mm and the other one in 1090mm+?

But have you concidered having the seattube curved (bt style) or maybe pointing a bit more forward (Koxx Caisso style)? Right now it just looks out of place for me. Though that's just cosmetic and wouldn't affect the frame in any other way I guess.

But have you concidered having the seattube curved (bt style) or maybe pointing a bit more forward (Koxx Caisso style)? Right now it just looks out of place for me. Though that's just cosmetic and wouldn't affect the frame in any other way I guess.

I agree, do some to change it as it does look a bit odd.

Yep, keep the disc mount and integrated brake booster! The disc mount is why I bought the frame in first place.

I also really loved my Simtra but I found it just a bit too long, being only 170cm tall I find the Czar short much easyer to throw around. And reading that bigman found the previous version a tad too short maybe you could do two versions of the frame? One in ~1070mm and the other one in 1090mm+?

thats the best idea ive even heard, seriously please please make a shorter version 1070 wb with a +20mm bb perfect (Y)

Perhaps if you want to remove the built in booster, have that frame as a disc only version and then have a 4 bolt version with the built in booster.

Liking the geo. Can't tell much till i ride one though, sorry.

Whats with the TT curve?

Don't get rid of the disc mount. Yours is one of the strongest frames with disc mounts around. They're just so chunky and stiff.

Will the mod use a mech hanger if so id say please dont and think of another way something like the atmoz frame or a hanger like the monty 231 frames. I think you have a great idea with the rear spaceings and verticle dropouts but if you use a hanger you will loose a few customers as alot of people love mod not having a hanger to break but hate snail cams as they dont keep tension aswell. If you change it from that hanger and solve the problem of that snapping easily then i think it will sell like hot cakes. also it might be worth doing 2 versions 116 and 135 spaceing but both with vertical dropouts. thats just my view anyway.

Will the mod use a mech hanger if so id say please dont and think of another way something like the atmoz frame or a hanger like the monty 231 frames. I think you have a great idea with the rear spaceings and verticle dropouts but if you use a hanger you will loose a few customers as alot of people love mod not having a hanger to break but hate snail cams as they dont keep tension aswell. If you change it from that hanger and solve the problem of that snapping easily then i think it will sell like hot cakes. also it might be worth doing 2 versions 116 and 135 spaceing but both with vertical dropouts. thats just my view anyway.

agreed the 135 spacing would put me off for sure, making both is a great idea

• 4 weeks later...