The Car Thread

MadManMike

I remember when my mini shat it's diff bearings, drove round for a few weeks till I could afford the rebuild with the loudest and most annoying click ever haha. Also found it had shreaded a drop gear too so god knows how it actually still moved!

1 minute ago, Danny said:

Could that have been caused by the driveshaft issues you had @dann2707

I'm thinking the same thing mate yeah. It's on the opposite side to where it was bottoming out but yet I drove c. 300 miles with it all fixed and no issue until now unless it's weakened it. Maybe there still isn't enough play on that side despite me moving the engine over. 

Hi all,

Looking for new car suggestions if I may. My LC has been a blast but it's getting quite tired now. I don't want to spend more than £4k ideally. I am wondering if to go for a diesel as I'm doing 350 miles/week. I think it needs to be a 5 door and I'd still like it to be nippy but may have to compromise this for fuel economy. 35+ mpg ideally.

Any VAG desiel then I'd say. Don't they do a Leon FR desiel or something?!

Today was interesting..

20170716_161609.thumb.jpg.219e79372872c19ca16e86c11489b31e.jpg

A mate told me about a Ford RS owners club meet local and asked if I'd want to go so I jumped in the barge this morning for a run down with him and ended up on the show stand :lol:

The guy next to me with that immaculate MK4 was fuming when I parked next to him.

• Like 2

You can pick up a lot of car for £4k, so might need to narrow it down a touch further. If you'll continue to do 350mi/wk then looking at something derv is certainly wise, though if it's only a temporary/shortish term thing then I'd lean back towards something petrol again. I've just come to the end of a 3 month stint of doing ~600mi/wk using the LCR and other than a slightly increased fuel bill (yeah I said "slightly" and I'm sticking to it, shhh) it's far from the end of the world.

Something along the lines of an A3 or a 1/3 series depending on size wouldn't be a bad shout. Nor would giving me your LC so I can finally have the Platinum Grey one I've always wanted.

A surprise was in store for me today.

wa8Va8X.jpg

They did a stunning job on the roof. Don't have close ups of the cut off but it's perfect. They've also taken extra care to avoid cracks appearing where the CF pillars meet the metal ones by making a groove from some elastic putty and filling it in with silicone.

qpEOgbu.jpg

Couldn't get the colour accurately reproduced on the picture but I'm so happy to have gone with the same one. Polishing next and then it's going in for final assembly.

Going to make it pay for itself this time around, trackday rental :D 

• Like 3

That looks gorgeous! 

Not quite as exciting but just about car related.... I'm going to look at a 56 plate 1.9CDTI SWB Vivaro van tomorrow, it has 120k and MOT til the end of the year. It also comes with an optional second Vivaro with a recently fitted reconditioned gearbox (which is a known weak point so very handy) but the engine is kaput but at least it's a handy spares machine. Apart from the usual vehicle checks what should I be looking out for specifically with these? I have checked the MOT history and it hasn't had ridiculous fail lists which is reassuring, just springs and dampers in the past couple of years. In the photos all looks well, paint could do with a good polish but nothing that frightens me. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, CurtisRider said:

That looks gorgeous! 

Not quite as exciting but just about car related.... I'm going to look at a 56 plate 1.9CDTI SWB Vivaro van tomorrow, it has 120k and MOT til the end of the year. It also comes with an optional second Vivaro with a recently fitted reconditioned gearbox (which is a known weak point so very handy) but the engine is kaput but at least it's a handy spares machine. Apart from the usual vehicle checks what should I be looking out for specifically with these? I have checked the MOT history and it hasn't had ridiculous fail lists which is reassuring, just springs and dampers in the past couple of years. In the photos all looks well, paint could do with a good polish but nothing that frightens me. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

If it's done 120k it's around the mileage the injectors start to fail on most. Very common problem with both the earlier F9Q and M9R lumps. Both are notorious for injector failure. The M9R lumps are a nightmare to remove injectors too as the water gathers between the humps in the cam cover and they just fuse themselves solid to the head... No.1 injector on the F9Q lumps seize in too. Expensive job to rectify. 

If it seems to run a bit lumpy, throw any black smoke out or struggle to rev initially after cold start, steer clear. 

Edited by SamKidney

I now have a freshly undersealed Land Rover. I patched 13 holes in that chassis - which I wouldn't have done if I'd known there were 13 when I started!

Just got to find another wheel and tyre to match the 3 I have and it'll be MOT time :)

IMG_2749.thumb.JPG.604b5ecac80eba5bb9a123ec12d157b8.JPG

• Like 1