Modified Cars

N Roach

But that's like saying "It's still MDF, but what a piece of MDF!"

There's an expression regarding turds and polishing that I can't quite remember...

Maybe read my post, then this thread.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3277830&page=1

Just seen your addition to your post, as I'm sure you can see this is a real build thread ! :)

Edited by Pashley26

But that's like saying "It's still MDF, but what a piece of MDF!"

There's an expression regarding turds and polishing that I can't quite remember...

Err no... it isnt. MDF and a car that has had shed loads of time, fabrication and hard earned money into it, is not the same lol

You said it yourself, it's still a 106.

On your point about turd and polishing and all that. I went to see Jimmy Carr about a year ago in croydon, and I can't remember the preceding bits, but here's what i remember:

JC: "....and we all know you can't polish a turd"

Audience member: "You can if you freeze it!"

JC: "only in f**king croydon.... could you put an age old saying to rest in such a ridiculous way, and it be so true."

So there you go, you can polish a turd.

That, on the other hand, is still a 106.

It looks real cool, however: What the hell? 140mm of wheel spacer? It will rape the wheel bearings... and, looks like he's gone for tyre stretch... pfft.

I saw a lupo today, really small alloys with tyre stretch. I can't see why people like it... the wheel and the tyre should be in line with each other.

That's more OEM+ than Euro, isn't it?

Pretty much.

You do realise that car's not even half way through being modified, dont you? Lol. Monstrosity? Mabye so in some people's eye's... But, if it is finished in a good enough way, that car, no matter what you say, could be a master piece when it comes to the work that has gone into it. Things like that arent really thrown together, they take time, money and alot of hard work. You surely can respect the dedication? Ok, so it's still a 106, but it could be one hell of a one-off 106.

The problem from where I'm standing, is not the workmanship, that seems very good, its the lack of thinking ahead, and the lack of thinking about the consequence's of what he's doing to the car. Smoothing arch's into bumpers and the body, what happens if you use a bumper for well, bumping and it needs replacing? or even if you hit a lump in the road that induce's a small amount of twist in the body shell and moves the bumper on its mounts? And as for the wheels, that's just kinda stupid. It'll need a new set of wheelbearings by the time it gets to the end of the drive, the concept of an ackerman angle is loonngg gone, the amount of stress that's putting on the suspension arms is unreal, not to mention those 4 tiny little m12 bolts holding the wheels on, and he's gunna need some seriously huge cut-outs in the front arch's to allow any form of steering, as the wheel's will now swing forward and backward rather than just pivoting.

His workmanship seems good, it just seems a little miss guided.

The scooby wasn't trying.

Scooby was an example iv seen him kill rs turbos, fiesta st 500, fiat couple 2.0l 20v turbos but as youv seen they can be pretty quick.

Its just good for a laugh i guess he pulled up next to the st and the guy looked down his nose at this ratty green corsa and laughed as if to say think youll keep up in that thing? He got left standing as soon as the corsa got grip it was gone things like that would be a laugh when your racing people in cars that are 10times the amount of yours how ever put them next to each other and id still pick the st just because its and all around better car and alot nicer to drive...

Don't get me wrong, those Corsa's are great cars, given what they achieve for the money that's been spent, but when people start saying they are better than having a Ferrari or Porsche, I laugh.

I compltetly agree nobody that has enough spare cash around to buy a farrari or porsche is going to turn around and say i no! ill buy a corsa and make it go fast! LOL just wouldn't happen i guess its for someone with not very much cash that wants to go fast i mean the guy works part time at halfords thats not Porsche money or anywere near it and dosn't have anywere near the lux or feel as an expensive car but its just fairly impressive how well it takes off for the small sum of £1200-£1500 if i had that money id personaly get something i bit more user friendly and nicer to look at hence why i have some AMMAZING 1.2 fiesta.... lol

You do realise that car's not even half way through being modified, dont you? Lol. Monstrosity? Mabye so in some people's eye's... But, if it is finished in a good enough way, that car, no matter what you say, could be a master piece when it comes to the work that has gone into it. Things like that arent really thrown together, they take time, money and alot of hard work. You surely can respect the dedication? Ok, so it's still a 106, but it could be one hell of a one-off 106.

Really? I thought that was almost finished... Monstrosity? Yes. Why? Apart from the reasons listed above by others, I think the fact that he won't actually be able to drive it along normal roads because it's wider than an 18 wheeler, won't be able to park in any kind of normal car park, possibly won't even be able to steer the bloody wheels! 140mm of spacers? Just think for a second what happens when he turns the wheel with the 100% unmodified steering geometry... That's right, the wheel, rather than pivoting about a point near the centre of the inside face of the wheel will instead move through an arc that means that in order to get any kind of normal steer angle for negotiating the odd mini roundabout will require arch opening that extends from the somewhere in the front bumper to somewhere in the door opening!! (As RobinJI said)

So no, in his case from what I can tell I have no respect for his dedication because he's trying to turn something that could've been a nice understated modded car and is now turning into a turd. Not even a polished turd but a plain turd. As it stands now I'd rather own the standard 1.1 he started with than the monstrosity he's currently creating.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against car modding. What that VW guy's done that JVM80 posted is quite amazing what he's done and I'm sure will end up very nice. However, he hasn't taken a standard 1.0l golf and f**ked it up with 140mm wheel spacers and made it into a pile of sh**e, he's actually thought about what he wanted to achieve.

Edit: From looking at your Saxo and Duc I can tell you know exactly how to make something look really nice without going overboard so you've got to admit what that guy's doing is just stupid?!

new speakers cos stocks are always shit,

Try out something newer and VAG, my 20VT Passat Sport had probably the best sound system I've ever had in a car ! No, it didn't shake windows when the bass like was in but for sound quality and true "listening" characteristics it was pretty much spot on.

At an ICE off at one of my local cruises (No Rice) there must have been between 7 and 10 "modded" Mk2's, a couple of lupos and a couple of Mk1 golfs all with upgraded speakers.

A guy in a standard set up Audi A3 won it (and got a free Burger King!), by playing Voodoo Chile (Jimi Hendrix) on full chat with the windows down.

He has put 14cm spacers on, there is nothing that he can do that'll ever make me think anything other then what a complete bellend he is.

I've got 5mm spacers to clear my calipers, but 14cm is just stupid.

Try out something newer and VAG, my 20VT Passat Sport had probably the best sound system I've ever had in a car ! No, it didn't shake windows when the bass like was in but for sound quality and true "listening" characteristics it was pretty much spot on.

At an ICE off at one of my local cruises (No Rice) there must have been between 7 and 10 "modded" Mk2's, a couple of lupos and a couple of Mk1 golfs all with upgraded speakers.

A guy in a standard set up Audi A3 won it (and got a free Burger King!), by playing Voodoo Chile (Jimi Hendrix) on full chat with the windows down.

Man plays stereo loud, gets free burger from dubious supplier. I'm so glad I don't go to cruises!

What's the obsession with car stereos anyway? I can't think of a worse environment to try and listen to music even when the car's stationary.

What's the obsession with car stereos anyway? I can't think of a worse environment to try and listen to music even when the car's stationary.

Agreed, however it is nice on a long trip to listen to a good bit of music ? Obviously I'd NEVER listen to music through my car speakers when I wasn't actually driving it anyway, that would be f**king stupid !

I haven't had a car with a stereo in it for a while, so having the Coupe with all it's electric gizmos is really nice. I enjoy slowly driving down the back roads listening to Pink Floyd as loud as my stereo can go without ruining the quality at night.

I've got a sound system to go into my clio, but I prefer being able to hear the engine over the music. It lets me know better when to change gear. I didn't drive for long when I'd passed before my mum swapped cars, so I didn't feel I was at the point where I'd want to have music blasting out. Besides, it's anti-social if you have a passenger. It's a bit pointless giving a mate a lift and not being able to talk to them.

Agreed, however it is nice on a long trip to listen to a good bit of music ?

Music in cars, good thing. Spending thousands and thousands on a stereo to be put in an acoustically awful listening environment, bad thing.

Plus once you're actually moving, you've got wind noise, tyre roar and engine noise to muffle that expensive stereo.

(Not aimed at you personally Pashley, just making the point...)

Oh, why is the volume of music inversely proportional to the quality of the music being played?

Well, I find that if your listening to a good tune by cranking it up loud you feel more of the music. Also, if its really loud it drowns out the other atmospherical noises and my bad singing....

I'd never spend money on a stereo, it's not my scene.

However, if I had a pair of f**ked 6x9's in the parcel shelf I would replace them with some good quality ones.

Quickly going back to the redtop corsa vs. scooby part of this thread.... Imprezas in standard guise are not that fast - certainly no where near as fast as people seem to make them out / expect them to be. I'm in no way saying that a redtop corsa is the better car because I'd far prefer a subaru any day but I was pointing out that the corsa certainly isn't a machine to be sniffed at.

I once drove my friends XE corsa, half stripped with a F15 gearbox (shorter - limiter in 5th @ 130mph). Coming up a sliproad off the motorway with a Boxter S behind me I joined the roundabout a bit quick. Boxter then comes tearing past me and I pull out behind him and followed him back onto the sliproad, back in the direction we had just come from. He was flat out. When we joined the motorway, the porker was behind us....

After bouncing off the limiter I back off, let him pass and he gives us a thumbs up :)

Andy

I have spoken to some people that have massively modified their cars and they seem to be fed up and want to get rid of the car.
I've had lots of modified cars - all Astras. A Mk2 1.3 with rally spec suspension and GTE body kit, a Mk2 GTE 16v with 260bhp from a BTCC style engine (featured in Revs, Redline and Total Vauxhall), a Mk3 Astra Sport 16v with Irmscher kit, Mk4 Coupe Turbo with Courtenay Stage 4+ (320bhp) and a Mk5 SRi XP Sport Hatch.

Got bored of them all, and I now have a bland and boring Mk4 5 door 2.0 DTi Comfort. I've had it with modified cars to be honest. I've always wanted a 911 and when I looked back at how much I had spent on Astras over the years, I realised I could have bought a 911 3 times over. I'm staying standard for now, but I will get something a bit better than the crap I have now once this wedding is paid for - lol.

PS. Wish I had never sold the Mk2 GTE..... :(