New Fans Frames

J.KYDD

Just had a look at the new Speedrace FANS 26" frame on tarty and its actually perfect.

For me the geo looks sweet, and in black it looks super nice.

http://tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?product_id=11082

Obviousley there arnt going to be any reviews around as of yet as there so new, but from the more strucurally minded of you out there.... what are your thoughts in terms of strength, weak points etc.

Looks pricey. Personally i wouldnt spend that much on a frame. Looks to basic and simple.

For that price i would expect graphics like the new Koxx frames...

Ok for the money you'd be sold on good graphics?!

Surely how the bike is put together? the quality of the welding and machining? design features?

Personally i think i looks really quite nice, rear end of a stinger and the seat tube area of a Hydroxx, the mod seat stay yoke area looks like it uses something similar to the blue Caisso frames?

Looks pricey. Personally i wouldnt spend that much on a frame. Looks to basic and simple.

I hear you. It's a really simplistic design that doesn't warrant such a price. Isn't any better than the cheapo Dob/ZHI/etc frames that are sold at a fraction of that price. Anyone in their right mind would take a stinger over that in a heartbeat.

I really hate how few trials frames are being manufactured with a built in booster now. Every frame should have one!

Edited by Jason222

Am i the only one who thinks, "meh".

I know most people like the 1080, 35, 380 (ish) geo, but there's loads of other frames like that already. This seems real tacky to me and it has no great features. I know if that's what i wanted, i'd use the £350 elsewhere without doubt.

But i don't like 1080, 380 etc etc anyway :P

[edit]

Apart from above it seems. I skimmed the thread :$

Edited by eskimo

For that price i would expect graphics like the new Koxx frames...

The fact it looks nice and simple is a good thing though - rather than messing a frame up by overly CNC'ing the shit out of everything, it's just what you need with some neat little features. It's a frame that looks like it's been put together well. If you compare the welds on this frame to, say, most Monty frames, they're miles better. Personally, I feel the simplistic stickers compliment the simplistic frame design, rather than bashing a tonne of random drawings all over it which wouldn't 'work'. The Sky frame looks tech as shit so having scribbles all over it works, but having super clean, simple lines means that you'd be cluttering the look of it with them.

I hear you. It's a really simplistic design that doesn't warrant such a price. Isn't any better than the cheapo Dob/ZHI/etc frames that are sold at a fraction of that price. Anyone in their right mind would take a stinger over that in a heartbeat.

Just because it's a minimalist design doesn't mean it 'doesn't warrant such a price'. It's a nicely put together frame that rides really nicely, and works well. We've had a look over the frames we've got here and there's no real weak point on them, they've been really well thought out. From the way the 4-bolt mounts are braced away from the frame to mean you don't have to kink the seat-stays in loads to get a 4-bolt mount to work (meaning you get more tyre clearance, and stronger tubing) to the bracing around the BB on the mod frames, it's all just clean, simple and well thought out. Just because it looks simple doesn't mean it actually is.

Just because it's a minimalist design doesn't mean it 'doesn't warrant such a price'. It's a nicely put together frame that rides really nicely, and works well. We've had a look over the frames we've got here and there's no real weak point on them, they've been really well thought out. From the way the 4-bolt mounts are braced away from the frame to mean you don't have to kink the seat-stays in loads to get a 4-bolt mount to work (meaning you get more tyre clearance, and stronger tubing) to the bracing around the BB on the mod frames, it's all just clean, simple and well thought out. Just because it looks simple doesn't mean it actually is.

Personally i prefer a cleaner, tidier looking frame and i'd certainly pay more for a cleaner, better thought out and put together frame than i would spend money on a Koxx (which although i think are incredibly nice, seem engineered and different, just for the sake of it...) Just get someone to test one and put it through its paces to see how it stands up to a challenege :)

I didn't say that the minimalist design didn't warrant the price, I said the simplistic design doesn't warrant the price. Expensive frames are expensive because the amount of work and thought that goes into them. There's nothing special about this frame that distinguishes it as being worth 2X of any other similar Chinese frame. What makes it any better than the Dob Nova that's half the price? The only real difference between this frame and my Z3 frame is the hydro formed downtube on my Z3 and the weight. Geo is identical. The seat stays are even the same design on my Z3. It also shares that little hydroxx add on to the seat tube area. And the seat stay area really is not that great of a design, it should still have some sort of gusset between the stays to reduce flex. I got my Z3 for ~130 GBP shipped to me. The Z3 even looks better...

Edited by Jason222

I didn't say that the minimalist design didn't warrant the price, I said the simplistic design doesn't warrant the price. Expensive frames are expensive because the amount of work and thought that goes into them. There's nothing special about this frame that distinguishes it as being worth 2X of any other similar Chinese frame. What makes it any better than the Dob Nova that's half the price? The only real difference between this frame and my Z3 frame is the hydro formed downtube on my Z3 and the weight. Geo is identical. The seat stays are even the same design on my Z3. It also shares that little hydroxx add on to the seat tube area. And the seat stay area really is not that great of a design, it should still have some sort of gusset between the stays to reduce flex. I got my Z3 for ~130 GBP shipped to me. The Z3 even looks better...

If you're comparing Biketrialsellar's prices to our's they're obviously going to be vastly cheaper. There's nothing we can really do about that, and the price difference from them to us bears no relation at all to the respective qualities of the frame. It's also pretty hard to justify differences without actually having the frames side by side - it's pretty hard checking quality from one not-so-great photo.

The fact it looks nice and simple is a good thing though - rather than messing a frame up by overly CNC'ing the shit out of everything, it's just what you need with some neat little features. It's a frame that looks like it's been put together well. If you compare the welds on this frame to, say, most Monty frames, they're miles better. Personally, I feel the simplistic stickers compliment the simplistic frame design, rather than bashing a tonne of random drawings all over it which wouldn't 'work'. The Sky frame looks tech as shit so having scribbles all over it works, but having super clean, simple lines means that you'd be cluttering the look of it with them.

Im not saying the frame doesnt look nice or well built atall. I reckon it would be almost a perfect frame if it had a small integrated booster on it personally.

Just the paint job doesnt quite do it for me. The frames quite a simple design conpared to some frames out there. Which can be good in its own way. But maybe if they even put 2 shades of red fading into each other would have made it look a little nicer. Im just not a fair of the solid block of colour look it has just now.

It works with black/silver frames pretty well but i personally dont want to be riding around on a bright red bike.

2 or 3 colours would make it look fun and intresting i think.