The Gym

Luke_zoo

To start with : for some reason I cannot search on T-F not sure if it is my pc playing up :/ so thought i'd ask on here!

I'm wanting to get alot fitter and more mussels. like upper body type.

Yes I do ride alot, But bikes broke at the mo so not ridng at all at the mo.

I would like to know whats best to do ect.. and whats best to do at the gym for that type of stuff,

Not sure if I have said this right? Sorry if not.

Help,

Cheers,

Luke smile.gif

You haven't really explained what you want to do. Acheive, your goals?

Generally if you just want big arms, do like 80% of your max lift on all the machines, for 5 reps or so, slightly neive approach to using a gym though.

You haven't really explained what you want to do. Acheive, your goals?

Generally if you just want big arms, do like 80% of your max lift on all the machines, for 5 reps or so, slightly neive approach to using a gym though.

which is clearly the best thing to do :)

......................................ish

Hahaha I got the extra bit :Plol more important to work on core and cardio IMO, makes you better all round.

any good exercises for cardio that doesnt involve running, cycling or swimming? if not then i cba

also core, that the static strength stuff? or do you mean the ab area?

Edited by Ash-Kennard

any good exercises for cardio that doesnt involve running, cycling or swimming? if not then i cba

also core, that the static strength stuff? or do you mean the ab area?

Just incorperate it in sports man, play football without twisting your ankle in 20 seconds :P back to back 5 a side is a killer, 40 mins of high intensity running is next level hard, although to burn fat you should only be working at arround 60% max HR so something more like 11 a-side can be better, because its more interval training, (slow run, fast run etc.) just try to mix it up to keep it fun, atm I'm doing hours on the treadmill, but its at home so i can do it with my top off and watch what I want on the TV so I don't really mind too much!

Core is abs, sides, back etc. really fun to mix it up on, but basically areas which are hard to target with weights, so mix it up, some static strength kind of work outs but also a lot of stuff that can be done with ballance balls, medicine balls etc.

hi mate, i dont have a clue about CV was never my thing, but as for building muscle mass.. its pretty simple if you can stick to a good diet an a routine at the gym..

Fully change your diet, for building muscle mass you need a high protein diet, below was my diet for 6 weeks (and worked)

breakfast.. protein shake, weetabix with a little low fat milk

dinner.. protein shake.. microwave fish(the 1`s in the frozen bags) and some greens

middday(1 hour before gym) small protein shake, brown rice with a low fat sauce.. using brown rice before gym is a good idea as its know for its slow release of energy.. you dont really wana use normal rice.. or if your using pasta use brown also as the normal rice and pasta is a sugary carb which will turn in2 sugar and fat if all isnt burt off at the gym..

Most important meal of the day has to be consumed within 30mins of finishing at the gym and has to be hight in protein.. protein shake, chicken breast(george forman to drain the fat) or a lot of tuna, or an omlett ect..

last meal(supper).. again high in protein.. i used to have either chicken or fish with some greens..

The trick is to have small but regular meals, thats high in protein and very low in fat.. as said above with the white rice and pasta.. stay away from sugary carbs, dont drink pop drink water.

You might think that thats a few to many protein shakes, but it isnt.. your muscles need as much protein as possible to grow.. your muscles will grow with the right diet without even using the gym which sounds stupid but its true..

if you can stick to a good diet and crack on at the you will reach the targets you set, thats if your not living in noddly land lol be realistic

As for the gym, the only advise i can give you on that is, go 5 times a week for 1 to 2 hours, i did 10mins on the bike to warm up, work 1 muscle group a day, once you have done that dont work that muscle again for 3 days, its important you let your muscles repair(which is the process your muscles use to grow).. i could go on for hours and ive probly bored you half to sleep, but anyways if you need any help just giz a shout m8...hope this has helped you a bit..

You dont need a fancy diet or alot of protein shakes, I'd say muscles are built sufficiently from trials. As its broken i think some CV such as cross trainer and rowing for 40mins. Core work is so underated i think. Its probably worth googling core exercises.

if you want to get fitter do spinning or curcuit training,you wont need to eat so carefully unless you want to lose weight but protein you will help you with your gym work.

when you go to the gym it should take no more than 1 hour anything more is wasting your time,in that hour you need to keep pushing with as little rest time as you can.

supersets is what you need to do to build up.

as for what to machines to use to build yourself up.this book should help you it breaks everything down for you

http://www.amazon.com/Mens-Health-Big-Book-Exercises/dp/1605295507

i have been a professional rugby player for the last few years in ireland england and france,if you need any help pm me,i have a few workouts on my email i think,if i find them i will send them on,if anyone else wants them too just pm me your email

• 1 year later...

SUPER BUMP ALERT

Just joined my local gym, with the main goal to get rid of my jelly belly. I'm 6ft 2 and weigh 13 1/2 stone. So a little jiggly.

What's the best way to burn fat, and lose excess weight? is it best to avoid sugar as much as possible I guess, but how much of a hinderance will sticking to my normal diet be? normal cereal with sugar and ham sandwiches for lunch and normally fried chips and bacon for din dins.

Think once I'm in better shape it'll be a case of 3 days of cardio and 2 days of muscle building.

Any further advice would be great.

Every day? Hello heart attack...

As JD says- take in less calories, burn more.

I don't know why, but I read that with a gay Simpsons characters voice in my head. "Ding Ding, next stop my thighs"

I live at my girlfriends house and her mum cooks every night, would feel rude putting requests in. Think I'll just say no thanks to the chips and buy my own salad.

Thought I'd throw this in there, I've been eating exactly the same terrible diet for the past 3 weeks, just less of it, maybe 2/3 of what I would normally eat, and I've lost about 3 or 4lbs, so sometimes it's not what you eat, it's purely quantity. Maybe just ask her to cook you a bit less? And try to eat healthier elsewhere. Although I can imagine cooking bacon and chips drifting around the house makes you incredibly hungry lol.

Following from MonsieurMonkey, I'm pretty sure that your mind has a sort of set allowance/target percentage roughly of how much of your plate you would eat. If there are smaller meals then generally you can feel fuller but having not eaten as much. Obviously there are other factors involved. I hope that comes across right, It's been a long week at work :P

I seriously need to sort my diet and fitness, since I stopped playing football my fitness has gone out the window and it wasn't that great to begin with. Also with the weather as it is and my wifes current mindset she'd been baking a cake maybe twice a week so I've literally soent the last few months at work just sat drinking tea and eating cake, barely drink any water anymore and I just feel knackered 24/7.

SUPER BUMP ALERT

Just joined my local gym, with the main goal to get rid of my jelly belly. I'm 6ft 2 and weigh 13 1/2 stone. So a little jiggly.

What's the best way to burn fat, and lose excess weight? is it best to avoid sugar as much as possible I guess, but how much of a hinderance will sticking to my normal diet be? normal cereal with sugar and ham sandwiches for lunch and normally fried chips and bacon for din dins.

Think once I'm in better shape it'll be a case of 3 days of cardio and 2 days of muscle building.

Any further advice would be great.

run. go out running and when u get tired do press ups, sit ups, dips, heaves, squats, plank etc. much chepe/easier than going to a gym.

im 6ft1 and 13 n half stone with a bmi of 23 and no flab or jiggly bits.

i married the gym the last few years, my thoughts on the matter, deadlifts and squats make me a happy trials rider, since you go through jumping motions/movements, but with resistance, so you're launch can become more powerful.... Better arms come from decent tricep work, don't neglect you're triceps! they will push your biceps out more...

work pull ups, dips and ab workouts into your routine EVERY DAY i always start with pull ups, dips and leg raises, warms you up nicely and over time you'll find yourself doing more of them, this was you get regular feedback on if you're improving, find someone who is doing better than you are to advice and motivate you, don't gym with clueless idiots who will waste your time...

do record what you do, i introduced a notebook into my gym sessions and it made it harder to skimp on a workout cause i could see what i did last week and i'd always be working to beat myself each week, one more rep or a bit more weight...

do you're own research too, consider your goals, do you wanna be stronger or just look good? there's different approaches to achieving different things so be careful with what you do read...

• Like 1

run. go out running and when u get tired do press ups, sit ups, dips, heaves, squats, plank etc. much chepe/easier than going to a gym.

im 6ft1 and 13 n half stone with a bmi of 23 and no flab or jiggly bits.

Like Bucky, im over 13st, but would say its still a fairly lean body if that makes sense? For the fat burn side of things low intensity cardio is the trick, no eating before hand though.

Just to make you all feel bad, I ate over 10,000 calories between saturday and sunday, yet lost 3kg in weight. 1 trials forum Mars bar to who can guess what I was doing?