Questions With No Answers

trials owns

0.333 repeating to infinity is still not exactly 1/3 though hence 0.9999... does not equal 1.

This is what confuses me.

Random note: My calculator requires 11 decimal places (0.33333333333) for that number to add up to 1 rather than 0.9999....

10 decimal places still gives 0.9999.....

How do you not know your friend sees red as blue, blue as yellow and yellow as red?

Does 0.999999...(recurring to infinity) = 1? Or something less than 1?

The answer follows from how we decide to define it given that mathematics is our construct. It's only really problematic if we think that mathematics, in some sense, exists independently of us and is intimately and only an expression of the physical world. If that were the case then there could only be one answer which has to accord with the actual reality of the physical world.

Abstract mathematics would define it in either sense (equalling 1 or less than 1) and investigate the logical consequences of applying it within varying systems.

Adding another decimal place makes the resulting number tend towards zero, but that doesn't mean it equals it.

For nearly any application using the exact figure of 1 will be more than adequate, but whether or not it can always be done as things become more abstract and the details become the important part is still a pretty unproven matter.

There are arguments for and against, usually with their own merits but yeah, bit of a mindf**k.

Adding another decimal place makes the resulting number tend towards zero, but that doesn't mean it equals it.

True, unil you throw in the word 'infinity'. The it = 1

True, unil you throw in the word 'infinity'. The it = 1

However by definition you can't add infinite decimal places, which is why the question is such a bitch :P

Infinity is a f**ked up concept, behaving differently in different situations. Things can be countably infinite, for example.

Yeah it's certainly theoretical. Kind of akin to having infinite monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters, within 30 mins, one of them will have typed the first 5 pages of the bible.

Thought of another one that me and my mate thought of. Infact theres threads like these always on reddit and some of the replies are mindblowing.

The one I thought of was like, what if there are other planets out there that have the same structure as us in terms of advancement of technology BUT are so many years later/earlier.

Like if we were to visit them they were just in the stone age. Or vice versa we visit them and they aren't even humans as they have advanced that much. Again, I worded it much better at the time and i think ive missed out a proper crucial part of my point but still te idea is sort of there haha.

Thought of another one that me and my mate thought of. Infact theres threads like these always on reddit and some of the replies are mindblowing.

The one I thought of was like, what if there are other planets out there that have the same structure as us in terms of advancement of technology BUT are so many years later/earlier.

Like if we were to visit them they were just in the stone age. Or vice versa we visit them and they aren't even humans as they have advanced that much. Again, I worded it much better at the time and i think ive missed out a proper crucial part of my point but still te idea is sort of there haha.

Exacully what me and my mate where talking about also! Saying way before humans existed (recorded) there could have been other advanced life that ended and the cycle continues endlessly........hence the big bang etc. What would the human race (if we still existed) do when the sun energy burns out? move to another planet? weird...

But really - if someone is blind from birth and has never seen daylight before, are they able to have dreams? Are they even able imagine things in their head? I don't see how as they won't know what anything looks like.

A blind person uses their other senses to compensate- they can still touch and feel objects, surfaces, people etc. so can build up a mental 'image' of what they're touching, even if they can't see the detail or the colour. Interesting idea though!

More like when you look through a telescope at planets your looking at them in the past because of the speed of light being "slow" and causing a lag of thousands of years.

605px-UDFj-39546284-hs-2011-05-c.jpg

13.2 billion years ago.

512588main_p1105a1r.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_Deep_Field

The HUDF image was taken in a section of the sky with a low density of bright stars in the near-field, allowing much better viewing of dimmer, more distant objects. The image contains an estimated 10,000 galaxies.

This is just one-tenth of the diameter of the full Moon as viewed from Earth, smaller than a 1 mm by 1 mm square of paper held at 1 meter away, and equal to roughly one thirteen-millionth of the total area of the sky.

less than 1.

1/3 + 1/3 + 1/3 = 1

A third can also be written as 0.33333∞

So 0.33 + 0.33 + 0.33 = 0.99999∞

So 1 = 0.99999∞

And now I'm about to be proven wrong...

6a00d8341bf89d53ef01156fc7dd2f970c-pi.jpg

It's like asking, does 0.888888...(recurring to infinity) = 1? It doesn't.

This conversation just reminded me of a TV program that blew my mind about multiple infinities.

On the subject, my gut would say that - by definition - anything that isn't 1... well... isn't. So 0.999999r is not 1, no matter how close it gets. Of course, for arguments sake it's as good as.

No, it isn't like asking that at all.

0.333 repeating to infinity is still not exactly 1/3 though hence 0.9999... does not equal 1.

This is what confuses me.

Random note: My calculator requires 11 decimal places (0.33333333333) for that number to add up to 1 rather than 0.9999....

10 decimal places still gives 0.9999.....

I stubbornly refuse to accept that.

I dont understand this.

For nearly any application using the exact figure of 1 will be more than adequate, but whether or not it can always be done as things become more abstract and the details become the important part is still a pretty unproven matter.

There are arguments for and against, usually with their own merits but yeah, bit of a mindf**k.