The Did You Know Thread

Miss-Higgy

I'm quite bored and have nothing better to do with my time today, so I though I'd create this thread.

I'm absolutly full of useless information and possible 1million pound question answers! I was just wondering if you guy's had any interesting fact's to share. Could be anything or you could have a reason as to why a fact is incorrect! Try and keep it simple with your question's with clear answer's. Or just your snip-it of factual/use full information

E.G

1.Did you know Blackpool gained it's name from back in medieval time's, because tributary's came down from the lake district and when it passed through Blackpool the water became black and murky.

2.Did you know bubble gum actually contains traces of rubber?

3.Did you know that the swear word F**K was created buy Henry the 8th, and it was used as a consent given by himself that a married couple can bare children. He would send out plaques to be placed in-front of the door that read "Fornication Under Consent Of King..."

3.Did you know that the swear word F**K was created buy Henry the 8th, and it was used as a consent given by himself that a married couple can bare children. He would send out plaques to be placed in-front of the door that read "Fornication Under Consent Of King..."

But wikipedia has this under "False etymologies" :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/f**k#False_etymologies

If a lorry containing a liquid was to be driving down a road, and it crashes spilling its liquid load into a river, the most dangerous thing for it to be carrying would be milk.

Milk cannot be filtered and it takes oxygen out of water killing lifeforms in its way.

Most peoples first answer is normally oil or petrol.

But nonetheless true fact for you.

If a lorry containing a liquid was to be driving down a road, and it crashes spilling its liquid load into a river, the most dangerous thing for it to be carrying would be milk.

Milk cannot be filtered and it takes oxygen out of water killing lifeforms in its way.

Most peoples first answer is normally oil or petrol.

But nonetheless true fact for you.

Surely chemical spill would be more harmful than milk? Like chlorine or bromine?

cyanide??

hydrochloric acid wouldnt be too bad id think, purely because of the amount of water flowing would bring it down to a sensible pH in a short time(given that from memory water pH is pretty variable anyway due to acid coming off tree's in forestries etc.(hence why some forestry commissions drop bags of limestone into small streams etc so as not to effect the ph balance in small streams, but with the water passing through a river, the whole thing becomes pointless)

also, spare a thought for those lactose intolerant trout.

Did you know that Miss Higgy's other half is called Jim?

Really? Shes never posted that before... oh wait.

Yea give me plutonium or uranium over milk any day, I drink them for fun but MILK.... you must be crazy!

I doubt there are many tankers travelling around with concentrated acids or plutonium on board.

Common bulk transport fluids leaves you with only a few options.

I know the statement doesn't rule them out and I'm fairly sure there are loads of chemicals out there more harmful, its just the common misconception that petrochemicals are the worst thing for the environment, typically they're actually fairly easy to contain and treat.

Milk cannot be filtered where as everything else can either be filtered or stopped.

Acids are generally harmless in copious amounts of water as they become neutralized. Simply text for you, et a glass of milk and pour water into it, and then try to separate them. Oil floats (sinks?) so inst a major harm, milk being the same consistency as water mixes and removes any oxygen.

For proof of this fact ask your local firefighters.

Edited by TROYston

Milk cannot be filtered where as everything else can either be filtered or stopped.

Acids are generally harmless in copious amounts of water as they become neutralized. Simply text for you, et a glass of milk and pour water into it, and then try to separate them. Oil floats (sinks?) so inst a major harm, milk being the same consistency as water mixes and removes any oxygen.

For proof of this fact ask your local firefighters.

No, that makes sense. According to environmental challenges in farm management (catchy title, hey?) milk is listed a big time oxygen demander. And I can get the point there's nothing you can really use to clean up milk, apart from soak the shit out of the area to hopefully dilute it down.

I was going to point to DDT as an example of something that would be worse, but it's banned, so wouldn't really be found in tankers on the road.