The Car Thread

MadManMike

As I said to you earlier Jardo, and I'm sure Nick would agree; driving a car (fast!) around the Nurburgring (or any track) is just a ticking timebomb. The fact he managed an 8:40 is credit itself to the hard work that was put into setting it up, and I'm sure he'll fight back with something even better sooner or later.

I've lost count of the amount of visits "actual a3" had to Germany, and countless trackdays in the UK, so sadly it doesn't come as a HUGE surprise...as good a driver as Nick is on track (and without licking his ass, he truely does have an epic talent!), everybody's luck has to end somewhere, and to be honest, losing control at 130mph and smashing into a barrier at the most famous track in the world, and walking away with barely more than dented pride and a broken car is exceptionally fortunate!

• Like 2

I've seen more damaged cars on the way to work! In fact a guy up my street has a Mondeo estate which appears to be crashed almost weekly and is held together mostly with gaffer tape!

Looks a hell of a lot better than I'd expected but obviously there's plenty under the skin that's not quite so rosey...

Have you guys not seen the odd wheels that it's got on lol? Standard S3 wheels on one side and OZ Super Turismo's on another, haha! You can see his mums awesome Polo in the reflection too.

I hope I'm ok to post that picture, Prawn has put it on Facebook so it must be cool.

Glad he is ok, but meh, track cars are going to get either a. Crashed or b. replaced with something faster/upgraded.

Both cost loads, but people who like to drive cars fast on tracks accept it? Looks pretty fixable for a 100+mph bump though which is all good.

Also the mini was always far more epic for me.

Did it ever get supercharged?...

Also the mini was always far more epic for me.

Did it ever get supercharged?...

The Mini is fun, I have driven it a couple of times and it always makes me smile. But it just isn't fast enough.

No it didn't get supercharged, Prawn realised that there are only a handful of succesfully and reliably supercharged Mini's in the country. And that they are gay. Supercharged Mini's are a funny thing, I think Nick wouldn't have been happy with something that wasn't perfect. And the chances of a perfect SC A series is rather slim.

Dunno, I figured the ball joint is the part on the hub, and the track rod fits over that. Spose I'll only find out by looking.

A ball joint splitter is to split the ball joint from the hub, so yes you'll definitely be requiring one to change a trackrod whether it comes with it or not :)

Ball joint splitters are shit, they ruin the gaitor.

I have never once seen a track rod that wasn't complete. They should all come with the end thread and ball joint already pressed onto the rod. Like this -

trackrod626late.jpg?osCsid=24ecc481c2341d0d04a451d89b83d3fb

Just thread the nut back on the end of the track rod by a couple of threads and gently tap it up and out. Then use the locking bolt and the tie rod to unscrew it. I have probably done 30 track rods this way and never once damaged it. If you are replacing it then it wouldn't matter if you some how managed to damage it anyway.

Edited by Pashley26

A few pics. Very little left to do, oil cooler will be in tomorrow which was the only thing stopping the car from going out on it's maiden test drive.

dsc00256h.jpg

dsc00240sr.jpg

Spacers, could be a tad too wide, should be ok with some negative camber, at the moment the wheel is pretty much vertical.

dsc00245m.jpg

The Mini is fun, I have driven it a couple of times and it always makes me smile. But it just isn't fast enough.

No it didn't get supercharged, Prawn realised that there are only a handful of succesfully and reliably supercharged Mini's in the country. And that they are gay.

Not fast enough? Surely in the right environment its more then fast enough.

Mine was running around 120bhp (about on par with Nick, maybe abit more torque, but not much in it...) an was more then enough for me, admitted the power delivery will be a lot different but on a b road it was a weapon.

An a handful of supercharged successful minis? There's hundreds, either converted mpi's or just jonspeed specials. There all reliable really, just a fanny to fuel properly. Graham H's sc10 998 is literally my favourite mini ever. Best charged mini, fact.

SO many supercharged Mini's don't run right though, it's just so cost ineffective and complicated when compared to turbo applications.

I've personally never seen a supercharged Mini that didn't have a squeeling pulley or wasn't needing SOMETHING doing to it to finish it off. From my brief encounter with TurboMini's they take so much time and money to get right, and for the cost and time investment it just doesn't add up if you ask me.

And yeah Slark isn't too far from home. That kit does look very keenly priced, that's changed my mind a little. IF it works.

Edited by Pashley26

I've personally never seen a supercharged Mini that didn't have a squeeling pulley or wasn't needing SOMETHING doing to it to finish it off. From my brief encounter with TurboMini's they take so much time and money to get right, and for the cost and time investment it just doesn't add up if you ask me.

The problem is, to many people see supercharge kits as a bolt on mod, so they literally just do that. Built properly there fantastic. Same with turnominis really, people buy a f**ked metro turbo motor, if its lucky it'll get a de-coke, drop it in with an intercooler an expect it to run at 10psi, then birch when it shits the bed. Built properly there fantastic things.

Turbominis out weigh the supercharger tenfold. Bang for buck its turbo all day long.