The Car Thread

MadManMike

Found bits of metal in my oil today. f**ksake :( That along with the leakiest engine ever is really starting to piss me off.

There's a 924 down the road from me that I have been offered for £250, it has brand new Corbeau buckets and a bunch of parts that I could do with, I think i'll have to buy it and do a weekend engine swap. Wish I was in Suffolk, I'd have a nice workshop and an engine crane, now I have a shit wonky drive and I'll have to buy a crane.

Get the sump off if you can, might be some more metal floating about, don't want your oil pump picking it up.

Was it just shavings, or little chunks?

Edited by LiamWood!

They are literally the smallest filings ever but there was plenty on the dipstick. There's no knocking or anything yet, so I guess I have a little while yet? I'm wondering about draining, sump off, clean out, magnetic sump plug, replace filter, fresh oil and hope it lasts until I have access to my workshop... Been offered an engine cheap, so I can get that dumped at my parents on a pallet ready for a heart transplant at Christmas

Rough stuff. Sounds like one hell of a save though to have escaped without yourself/someone else being made a mess of.

Edit: If it makes you feel any better it would appear that Mr Bean was having car issues this morning too if my journey in was anything to go by...

l64f.png

See also: Fresh rubber for the Leon.

mpxh.jpg

Yeah I've bought a tub, I paid a bit less than £800 though.

I have a plan though.

It can easily be split into 20ml sample pots which can be sold for £50 a go, and 20ml is enough to do three or four cars. So I can use it, and then sell it on in mini tubs to get my cash back. If I want.

Supposedly the best wax in the world.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=83466

I've ordered a special cool bag to keep it in.

And this little bundle arrived for me yesterday, which was nice.

736197_1432320330316477_869953742_o.jpg

And I bet you I could get the same finish on the same panel with a £25 wax, I bet you

This. The only other issue is what will it achieve on the car? Not wanting to sound like a bitch jardo but that doorpicture you posted a while ago had some cracking peel to it, it'll just highlight this ??

The orange peel is almost non existent, it's only one specific picture taken on a camera phone in back lighting.

It's all original paint, and it nothing a machine polish won't fix :) I'm planning a trip to Zaino HQ to learn how to better use a rotary, so expect that to be sorted soon.

I certainly don't think this wax is going to turn my car into a show stopping finish. But I do think that I would like to try it and see why it's so highly reviewed.

I certainly don't think this wax is going to turn my car into a show stopping finish. But I do think that I would like to try it and see why it's so highly reviewed.

Then why didn't you buy a £50 sample pot? I'd never be able to justify paying £7-800 on a pot of wax.

Ben

sorry mate, but you've started earning a decent wage, and gone totally off the rails.

£2k watches? a ralf lauren scent for each day of the week? £800 on a tub of wax?

You're worse than Linsay Lohan, rehab next for you I reckon....

After years of bitching about wanting fast cars, why not invest this small fortune you seem to be earning in a fun car and come play with your friends? rather than getting abused on the internet for being a goon with your money and polishing your tdi?

Makes I sad to be honest :(

• Like 3

For me the trouble with all this detailing stuff, is that it makes so little difference. How clean a car is makes a big difference, and yeah, a good polish and wax makes a big difference, but if you did that on 2 different cars, one with cheap products, and one with these super posh products, then parked the 2 cars side by side, but made a TINY change to one, like different colour badges or something, then all anyone would notice would be the badges. I don't really think there is such thing as a "show stopping finish". No one has ever stood at the entrance to a show and noticed which cars have been waxed with fancy products.

If it makes you happy though, then all's good, I absolutely get how spending the time on your car can be enjoyable and theraputic, but the cost of a lot of the products is a perfect case of companies only charging so much because someone will pay it based on placebo/one upmanship.

Must wax my car sometime.