The Car Thread

MadManMike

I don't understand the question?

it's a bike forum. Bikes are for kids. Go figure.

Those of us who've been here a long time, and still ride, stick around to discuss shared interests, hence the existence of this thread....

Just don't know why people are banging on about waxes and generally taking the piss out of me.

When all I ever do is post pictures, and help others.

Unless I am being abnormally touchy, I just find it a bit childish. Who cares if the wax is £8 or £8000, I bought it, I'm going to use it and I didn't for one second hint that I was in some way superior or that the wax I have bought is in any way superior. I just said I was excited about it.

Don't know why any running joke seems to be at my expense.

Not that it's an issue, I hardly ever post anymore for that reason.

Seems like you might need some of that protective wax over your sensitivity ;)

I think it's ridiculous to spend that sort of money on a wax, but that's what you're into and you'd probably giggle at some of the things I've spent money on lately. You'd do better to not let it get to you, being as you're happy with your decision.

Unless I am being abnormally touchy, I just find it a bit childish. Who cares if the wax is £8 or £8000, I bought it

I care because I'm your mate, and if I'm honest, I think you're heading for a full on f**king break down.

I've tried telling you this privately, and you don't seem to listen, so if publicly shaming it upon you helps get the point across, then so be it.

makes I sad. but I've told you this.

• Like 1

I care because I'm your mate, and if I'm honest, I think you're heading for a full on f**king break down.

I've tried telling you this privately, and you don't seem to listen, so if publicly shaming it upon you helps get the point across, then so be it.

makes I sad. but I've told you this.

I'm not sure that making some OK money for the first time, and spending it somewhat irresponsibly (potentially), can be evidence of an impending breakdown. I think it's just called being young and having some money. It'll soon get boring when something more important comes up.

I've basically been told by the doctor and the hospital that I WILL have a heart attack within weeks if I don't stop eating shit, drinking 8 cans of red bull a day and smoking 20+ a day. And stop working so stupidly hard and stressing so much. My average blood pressure exceeds 174/111 for the past two weeks.

So I think Prawn is just concerned that I might get stressed out even more if I were to run out of money, not be able to pay my bills and think I've wasted it all.

Stopping drinking, eating anything that isn't organic and natural, smoking excessively, coke, doing far too much work and taking everything seriously. Not amazingly cool and really quite hard. Not that I am asking for pity, at all. But that's why Prawns worried.

It does now seem a little stupid, having spent all this cash recently and now being told I can't work. But ho hum, on other hand it says life is there for living.

Live and learn :)

What are you doing to be earning such a ridiculous amount?! Last I checked, salesmen weren't on a high enough wage to sustain crazy spending for more than a month after March and September "big pays"! Or is it just because you're living at home again, so aren't spending £x amount on the mortgage?

Either way, I agree with the others...tone it down a bit! You'll look back and regret wasting so much money on such high cost things that's people just class you as a douche for spending so much on.

I dare say you could have pretty much bought the S3 you seem to be longing for by now if it weren't for all the other stuff.

You're a dick, but you wouldn't be Jardo if you weren't, and it wouldn't be the same if you lost it due to a meltdown at such a young age!

I'll try not to die, it would kind of put a dampner on things. A heart attack is a serious probability at the moment though, and the doctor is just waiting on blood tests to best medicate it.

I don't want to go into the specifics of money, but it's a mix of the two. New job has turned out to be immense, I've taken home last year's gross in three months.

Bundle that with splitting up with an overly controlling ex girlfriend, moving 200 miles back home and not having a care in the world it's a bit of a recipe for disaster.

But the down side is, I've been working so hard like 7-9pm every day for the last four months, as well as taking on the stress from selling 30 cars a month where I used to sell 5/10.

Anyway, car stuff.

I'm not sure I would really like an S3, I really quite like the diesel to be honest. It's just nice, and does the job, and gets me places cheaply and nicely.

Irrespective of what your buying, if you're working so hard/such long hours, having to self "medicate" (for want of a better word) by having to eat/drink shit and then being subsequently stressed to the point it's making you seriously physically ill. Let alone any mental illness it may be causing. It just can't be worth it Jardo. Money is awesome, but if you aren't happy as a result of everything else that comes with it, then it's really not worth it.

Is there any chance work will let you reduce your target and work less hours as a result? The other bits you'll have to do on your own, but you know that. You may to me be a right odd one, but even I worry that shit has got that bad for right now dude. Got to make some changes.

It's fine. I'm on it, but I appreciate everyone's concerns.

Work have reduced my hours, which hasn't really helped because I just want to be at work selling cars and looking after my customers. So it's stressing me out more.

Not smoking has made me really aggy and not drinking is a bit weird. But otherwise I've had a full turn around with what I eat, it's all fruit and steamed veg with rice now.

It's just made me really grumpy!

I might go order some bits for the diesel to cheer myself up.

My new quick detail kit to keep in the car, everything I need to wash, treat and protect. :)

1463105_1433449240203586_1462391124_n.jp

1451529_1433449263536917_48450878_n.jpg

Edited by Pashley26

I mean this with absolutely no disrespect whatsoever, because there's obviously more to it than the average Joe perceives...but what actually makes selling 30 cars (1 a day basically) a month so stressful? Genuinely curious as to how much is involved. It's obviously hard work, or you wouldn't be where you are now.

Yeah that's cool, nobody really knows what it's like to be a new car salesman. Unless they are one.

So you've got to see the customer when they come in, and be 100% perfect from that moment on. Or you've got to take their call, diarize/appoint them and get them in.

Work out what they want to buy.

Work out how they want to buy it.

Work out when they want to buy.

Talk them into a test drive that suits their need. Often beg stealing and borrowing the right car.

Appraise part exchange and price it up.

You've got to agree figures and do the deal.

Finance prop.

Finance documents need to be signed and cross checked and proofs given.

Then you've got to order the car.

Phone the customer daily with an update, often for 6 weeks whilst it comes from factory.

Car comes in, you have to take it from the transporter and check it in.

Push lines and job cards to have it PDI'd and mechanically checked over.

Push lines and job cards for valeting.

Register the car, so generating a confirmation of registration and having the customer sign it.

Set up 7 day insurance.

Try to sell GAP insurance or paint protection, as well as mats and fuel etc.

Check the car 24 hours before hand over.

Invoice for the part exchange.

Settle finance on the part exchange.

Do V5C on part exchange.

Arrange part exchange hand over checks.

Hand over the car, fill out all invoicing, take the balance, confirm finance payout, introduce to the car, do a full detailed run through of the vehicle etc.

Take all the PX documents.

Follow up in 24 hours, then again 48 hours after that.

Arrange for the PX to go to auction, forecourt or underwriter.

If every deal was that straight forward it would be a dream, but in essence that is the basics of selling a new car. Obviously you have to juggle all of that with meeting new customers and selling to new customers, time wasters and brochure collectors, things going wrong and cars getting damaged, having park sensors, Bluetooth etc fitted, fueling the car, logistic delays from the manufacturer, the customer changing their mind, hitting targets for profit and registrations, as well as finance penetration and GAP and paint protection.

Then bundle on the used car sale.

Meet the customer.

Find the right car.

Test drive.

Do a deal.

Arrange finance.

The same PX run through.

Arrange cleaning.

Arrange service.

Arrange the hand over.

Set up 7 day insurance.

Go to the post office to tax it.

Probably take it to the bodyshop.

Take it to the petrol station to fuel it.

It's a lot to take on, my new job basically sees me being a salesman, a sales manager and an administrator. So it's not the normal car salesmans job.

To give you an idea of volume, I have got 32 new car registrations in this month so 32 new car hand overs and 14 used car hand overs. 46 cars, in 22 days if you say that I actually took a day off during the week.

Edited by Pashley26

Ok Im gonna sound like a douche here - but that doesn't sound stressful ?

The registrations sound like admin. done. going to the post office is going to the post office. etc...

And are you such a good salesman that you can get someone to spend like 14k - unlimited k on a new car they didn't want ? maybe I give 'man with money in pocket' too much credit but most people I know who have bought a new car have gone into a showroom and tried out cars and bought the car they wanted not the salesperson.

Again - Im purposefully being a douche because Im genuinely interested by the job.

Intrigued as Rowan here, I've always thought of car salesmen as something along the lines of an enabler. Someone who is there because a human needs to be involved on the retailers side. At best, and again this is my preconception, it's the job of an administrating people person with a couple of negotiating skills. Not 'selling' as such, rather enabling someone to buy.

Then again, I haven't ever bought a new (or nearly new) car, so I have no personal experience. That changes next month though, when I go shopping :)

EDIT: That still sounds a bit 'kick a man while he's down'. It really wasn't meant that way.

Edited by JD™

Fair observation.

But that's why most salesmen have a really shite reputation.

People buy from people, it's proven scientifically in large purchases. I started off with Mazda, which is a real slow burner and a very considered purchase. So you couldn't rush people, and generally older customers would buy from you because they were going to get looked after.

People walk into the showroom expecting to be sold a car, with a preconcieved idea that an Arthur Daley character is going to try and pull their pants down and take them for every penny they have.

Absolutely I can make people buy things they don't actually want. But I do it in a way that actually, they do want it.

It's all a mind game. Which is why when I casually have a chat with people, make them laugh, get them sat down and make them a cup of tea and make them feel welcome it shocks them into listening to me.

I don't do the whole pressure sales shit, it just ruins any chance of a future sale or renewal. I regularly see my customers in the supermarket, or in town and they all stop and say hello and ask me how I am. Because I have done my job properly.

Being a car salesman is all about being professional, friendly and concise. Which despite my online persona is something I'm really good at.

Most people lack the moral obligation to customer service to be good salesmen, and most just see is as a way to make a load of money.

It's a hard job, if you care. If you don't give a shit and just run it as a short term goal then you will find it a breeze.

Lies. Everyone knows you're a troll. If you were the 'real' slim shady Rowan Johns we'd have had a new video years ago...

Going off topic still, I still have a VHS video of rowan riding in plymouth made almost 15 years ago! I'll have to see if i can get it to work, which might involve finding a vhs player! haha.
  • Like 1

Being a car salesman is all about being professional, friendly and concise. Which despite my online persona is something I'm really good at.

I can confirm, he is infact an incredibly good salesman, which is a genuine surprise, considering he's such a complete C*nt outside of work!

:lol:

xxx

• Like 1