The Car Thread

MadManMike

I was going to ask which thing but the answer is both haha. Fitting the boost gauge piping tomorrow.

Anyone know if you can get a connector like I have coming from my EGR valve but not a T piece, just a straight through connector? This has a really small hole in it to stop boost gauge surges, not sure what to search for!

Anyone know if you can get a connector like I have coming from my EGR valve but not a T piece, just a straight through connector? This has a really small hole in it to stop boost gauge surges, not sure what to search for!

You can indeed. General searches for things along the lines of "barbed hose fitting" and "boost gauge fitting" would probably be as good a place to start as any, else just pop into your local HellFrauds and pick one up for a quid or two (Y)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plastic-Barbed-Connector-Tube-Joiner-Hose-Pipe-Fitting-Straight-T-Elbow-Y-Mender-/251295601804?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Garden_PondsWaterFeatures_UK&var=&hash=item3a8262948c

Won't seem to add image to my post for some reason, but they do exist!

Those exact ones don't, but they are about (and for the same sort of money). A little hunting should find one with relative ease I'd have thought.

If the current T-piece has the smaller internal diameter section then you could always use that with one side plugged off until you find what you're after though (Y)

Here's the sort of thing you need, only in the UK of course:
http://www.42draftdesigns.com/Inline-Restrictor_p_99.html

Edit: One in the UK for around a fiver

http://ebay.eu/1aNoPkp

• Like 1

Assuming this is what a parallel reverse park is called these days, my instructor taught me like this: -

Pull up along side the car you're parking behind, you want to be about 18" away from it, stop when you get wing mirrors about level with each other.

Reverse and immediately put on lock to swing the car at an angle of about 30-45° from the curb as soon as you can, once at the right angle straighten the wheels up so youre reversing straight.

When your wing mirror passes the rear corner of the other car start putting the other lock on (slowly at first so you don't knock the bumpers but once clear wind it on) and you should end up with the car nicely parallel with the curb and with a little practise only a few inches away.

Fine tuning of the speed on which you put the final lock on will come with practise, find a quite carpark, use a couple of big traffic cones (that can simulate the wing mirror and rear corner of the other car) and fill your boots :D

edit: the steeper the initial entry angle, the smaller space you can get into, takes more juggling with the wheel though and probably best to be safe than cocky on the test.

Thanks for taking the time too reply! Ill most certainly keep that in mind as its a little ropy at the mo. But yeah i meant the car park bay reverse, That's the one i struggle with. I think its the way my instructor is teaching it too me, I've gotta go full lock when reversing at the moment looking over my shoulder, Then when in the correct position do the correction to straighten up. Personally id rather turn earlier and less sharper when reversing.

Anyone with a PD130, Wrayvon, is it Nick? (not sure but you've got a passat I think)etc I made a guide on how to remove EGR for cleaning if you're interested!

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/295496-guide-how-to-remove-egr-valve-and-how-to-fit-the-group-buy-egr-delete-pipe/

Nice one, been meaning to do this for a while!

• Like 1

Argh ny e36 is beeping at me. It's 109% not the memo, speed and temperate warning beep. It started last night and happened about 5 times in the space of an hour. It pauses the music to play three one second beeps!

Must admit, the speakers might end up coming out if it continues.

Will £800 wax fix this?

• Like 1

Few things! Fitted the EGR delete pipe going from this:
10928829604_916aa18170_b.jpg
To
10928754416_d917fbcde1_b.jpg
Removing the EGR pipe and blanking it off likeade so:
10928666916_2e9b41b4a3_b.jpg
Then fitted the boost gauge piping, did a cheap work around for the boost gauge without having to order more connectors, did it like this (for the time being? Not sure, don't see any reason to change it for now)
10947419163_9b469016e6_b.jpg
Wired the gauge up, just need a white led now which is on the way!
Lights off
10947536903_ab253bce36_b.jpg
Lights on
10947353746_182b022a63_b.jpg

I'm annoyed. Car is leaking oil from the underside.

One mechanic who MOT'd it today says it's the sump.

The mechanic who supposedly fixed the sump in March, who had a look at it last week, says it's the crank seal.

If it's the former, it's under warranty, but mechanic who fixed it in march refutes this and is now trying to sting me for a crank seal, which is basically a engine/box out job and best part of £400.

I have parts which I want to fit but wont until this is done.

Also I've seen some seats that I want, and would buy, if I didn't have this expense looming.

French car is French.

Why is fitting big brakes in small wheels so hard? Stupid basic laws of physics. I've got some brembo calipers for cheap, and I want to modify some spare uprights to take them and correct some geometry issues (correct the bump steer and roll center for my ride height). Been seeing what I can get under my 15" wheels, and I think I can JUST get a 294mm disc from a new mini under there, but I'll need 15mm spacers whatever diameter discs I use. :(

post-4312-0-77402800-1384893176_thumb.pn

Why such big discs on the camper? Massive PCD? I guess you might be able to get the centers moved in the steels, to give more clearance, but make the offset after spacers the same as original?

Just re-modeled mine with my current 280mm VW discs instead of the 294mm Mini ones, as I think the bigger discs will limit wheel choice too much, which has given more clearance to the wheels barrel, but less to the back of the spokes. (Also, it means less cost as my current discs are virtually new.) Mini's also have the option of a 280mm disc, with a 4mm deeper bell, so I'm thinking of making the uprights to take them, but spacing the calipers 4mm to work with my current discs for now.

This is with an e30 BMW 15" BBS wheel, which has less clearance to the spokes than my current wheels:

post-4312-0-23450900-1384900436_thumb.pn