The Car Thread

MadManMike

Why the sad face? I really like them, I'd be tempted by an early one if I was in the market for that sort of thing.

It's just very cynical.

Because I always disliked them, but in reality they are probably a great car for me. Because when I drive, where I drive and the way I drive really suits them.

I have been looking at a couple today, £3000 buys you a beauty.

Luke - that looks nice man, I wish mine was tidier. It needs a lot of love. I just semi-debadged it and stuck my deflectors on, which gave me plenty of time to take in the poor bodywork.

It's not too bad for 11 year old paintwork, though it'd be nice to be in a position to tidy it up properly as it's by no means concourse standard! Needs a good hefty layer of protection putting on before I head off though as it'll be getting minimal love while I'm away - may as well get a first step towards that on there for Sunday :)

Wheels are in dire need of a refurb though - perhaps so drastically that they'll become some S3 17"s at some point...

Sam: Are they standard 288s perhaps? Think that's what the A3 had as satandard up front, while the S3 had 312s (further still down the range they were running 256mm fronts) - caliper was the same so just depends on disc size.

Sam: Are they standard 288s perhaps? Think that's what the A3 had as satandard up front, while the S3 had 312s (further still down the range they were running 256mm fronts) - caliper was the same so just depends on disc size.

Yeah thats a possibility, I'm only going off what I've been told. I got the lot for £40 so I wasn't really too bothered what they came off of considering the condition! Worth less i suppose?

Not worth so much, but would still get your money back from those alone I'd imagine - people always need spares. eBay and the FB groups will be your best bet, though most of the FB lot will be modified owners so will likely be running bigger brakes (it's the carriers that are worth more, since the rest (other than discs of course!) is identical)

Edit; Let me know if they do happen to be the 256s, Soph could do with a fresh set on her Golf :P
I suspect they'll probably be 288s though.

• Like 1

They have drop links on the front struts, so that rules out any normal A3 or Leon. Could be an Octavia VRS, but I thought they had 312's too.

Are there any part number stickers on the struts? The letters at the beginning should identify the manufacturer at least

The sticker on the strut is : 210A 1J0413031BK

Googled that part number and it comes back as an A3

Anyone fitted these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-KEYLESS-ENTRY-KIT-REMOTE-CENTRAL-LOCKING-/370447849375?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Safety_Security&hash=item564069979f

I was given my Granda's "old" car.. Its a 2005 Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI. Its pretty basic in spec. and fancy having a flippy key (and also the remote central locking)

shoudn't be too much fight to wire in?!

Try rclick for the remote stuff, I have had a few kits now and they have been great. The only thing to watch out for is the key blades are a touch soft, I've never had issues but others have had them break, although I'm guessing they have been pretty rough with them somehow.

Installation is easy enough, just need some basic electrical knowledge and away you go

Well the car now has an mot again, new lower arms, trackrod ends, arb bushes and droplinks on the front and a new rear caliper on the back because of a siezed handbrake actuator. 300 quid all in including the test and fitting which isn't too much to grumble about. The car feels amazing to drive now, the front end and steering is so tight and precise compared to before :D

It's a really nice feeling getting the bushes done, you don't really realise how crap a car feels in comparison beforehand!

Borrowing a 530 GT for a month as my girlfriends mum is off to oz, this means the Porsche can have its interior looked at finally, needs a new roof lining, carpets re dyed, wiring tidied up and dash recovered. All the jobs I hate doing basically

On the matter of insurance, anyone recommend places for extensively modified cars for old gits with 10 years ncb and limited miles, paid about £350 last year with Flux (Equity Red Star), want to be paying closer to £200 as I'm used to!

Edited by Jolfa

Whilst someone has mentioned keys. What are peoples opinions on gluing the transponder from the key to the barrel in order to run cheap spare keys?

I live in a safe area/the cars not worth much and I have a habit of misplacing keys (and replacements from BMW are not the cheapest).

I did exactly that with my Audi when I had remote start installed. All well and good until the transponder dropped off the barrel without me realising. Never did find it. Luckily I had a spare though!

...just use decent glue (not superglue, haha)

anyone recommend places for extensively modified cars for old gits with 10 years ncb and limited miles

Brentacre.

They actually once told me that more modifications would bring my policy down - the way they see it, is that PROPER car enthusiasts are less likely to crash and will take better care of their car than someone who just uses it as a mode of transport. Love it.