The Car Thread

MadManMike

Definitely the highlight of today:

vmut.jpg

What's really surprising is that we were quicker in the 740 than a few stripped out E30's.

Had an epic time, the fact that both the Daihatsu and the Bimmer are still in one piece I find absolutely mind blowing. The Daihatsu took such a thrashing today that it should be in more pieces than there are parts in it.

• Like 1

Car went in to limp mode earlier, turned it off and on again and it's fine.

Looks like I need some VAGcom action!

Prawn - yeah, feed line is what I suspect could be the problem... I don't know if the guy changed it when he changed the turbo, I'm guessing he should have done.

Guessing that was on the way home rather than the way down today, which is a shame as I had VCDS (VAG-COM) in the boot...! >_<

Have you got an OBD connection of any kind? Be worth a scan with something to hunt for any fault codes and/or tell-tale signs of what may have caused it, though obviously VCDS will be your best bet.

So when the Recaros go in, I'm going to whip the back seats out.

What I want to do, is get some underlay and moldable carpet and fit out the back so it looks somewhat OEM, and keeps the road noise roughly the same.

Where's the best place to get said carpet and underlay? Looking for a charcoal colour similar to the original.

Surely the whole point of a project car is to have fun and improve it as much as possible :) You'll get it back into mint condition, look back at those pics and feel a lot better about yourselves than if you started off with a fairly good chassis. My mate does this for fun - he buys old NSU's, Skodas and Bimmers which are so rotted they don't look like cars anymore and then turns them back into showroom condition. His recently finished BMW 2002 used to look like Fred Flinstone owned it - there was no floor at all.

Edited by Greetings
  • Like 1

So I bought the mr2 last night and i'm loving every second of it! My temp cover ran out at 8pm and I won't be able to sort the insurance proper until after work tomorrow. I got used to the clutch in the mr2 so when I jumped back into the city rover I almost put my foot through the floor!

Needs a clean + polish, boot catch needs aligning (was moved up a bit for the carbon lid that was on there), 3 new tyres (currently it has 3 cheap shit Nankang and a brand new conti due to puncture) and put my sub in behind the passenger seat.

Unsure about changing the exhaust yet as its quite nice as it is when you open it up and doesn't blow, I'll probably change it when It starts to corrode.

Only one picture thus far for some reason

FA41118E-289F-4E59-9252-D069801D4380-380

• Like 6

That's awesome! Choice purchase, looking forward to seeing more photos.

In Capri world, i've just done a massive u-turn, gone back to 1982 and bought a 3.1 Essex V6. Awesome.

Cannot wait to get cracking with the rebuild and some period man-in-a-shed mods B)

Edited by Skoze
  • Like 2

Car went in to limp mode earlier, turned it off and on again and it's fine.

Looks like I need some VAGcom action!

Prawn - yeah, feed line is what I suspect could be the problem... I don't know if the guy changed it when he changed the turbo, I'm guessing he should have done.

Sadly, most garages will simply fix what's broken as simply as possible, and not look for the cause of the failure. This makes it as cheap as possible for them, whilst still charging you the full whack, and more often than not gives you a reason to return when it fails again.

As for the limp mode, that's a very VAG TDI thing, many of them do it, and fairly randomly. I've never known how to cure it though, just dealt with it.

Jardo will be your man for that. I know of many decent roads, but they're all south of you. The roads out to Finchampstead and Hartley Wintney are really nice, and not too far from you. Try just taking a trip down the reading / basingstoke road and randomly turning off down some smaller side roads and see where you end up!

In others news.....

2 years, 1 month, and 3 weeks in the garage since Mini last moved under it's own steam.

Fitted new front brake pipes, , bled brakes, bolted the front suspension back up, charged the battery.
A few other little jobs, and I pressed the button, and it lives!

http://youtu.be/nIoN66mqFgg

Jardo will be your man for that. I know of many decent roads, but they're all south of you. The roads out to Finchampstead and Hartley Wintney are really nice, and not too far from you. Try just taking a trip down the reading / basingstoke road and randomly turning off down some smaller side roads and see where you end up!

In others news.....

2 years, 1 month, and 3 weeks in the garage since Mini last moved under it's own steam.

Fitted new front brake pipes, , bled brakes, bolted the front suspension back up, charged the battery.

A few other little jobs, and I pressed the button, and it lives!

http://youtu.be/nIoN66mqFgg

Is that a trials bike rim in the front corner of your garage I spy? And here's me thinking all you lot is drive modify and clean fast vag cars :)