The Car Thread

MadManMike

Ahh, it can be done :)

All that assumes its not perfect already :P

Still think adjusting the threshold is contributing to the problem,

the black smoke suggests its over fueling at lower rpm, or the cat might be blocked, fuel due to lack of air delivery, cat due to rear oil seal or excess heat from bigger turbo. Blue smoke and you've cooked the oil sep rings, head gasket or valve problem

Compression test if its blue

Sooo many things that could go wrong when you mod.. Minefield.

Could be really simple problem though.

What's the other forum think?

Edited by *gentlydoesit

Erm

Drove to work. Smelt burning. Cabin filled with smoke. Saw some come out of bonnet and shat myself.

Putting it on the lift at college tomorrow to get a proper look, suspect it's something in the exhaust... Smells like those sorta fumes the 2nd time I sat in car.

Dodgy burning smells from old cars are normal surely? My porsche has a different aroma every time I drive it.

Can't remember if I mentioned this the other day but I have a 530GT for a month, this means the Porsche can have some TLC for the interior. Where's a good place to source vinyl? I need a new head lining and genuine is NLA

Did you not pull over and open the bonnet?

Check for oil leaks, something probably landed on the exhaust manifold - some brake fluid gave me the same scare before Christmas.

Work was 1 mile downhill from my house I just turned the engine off and cruised downhill haha. Didn't smoke up at all on way home so will drive it cautiously to college and hopefully should be OK...

Yeah hopefully it was something burning/leaked onto manifold. Cheers Matt :)

Curtis dodgy burning should not be normal no matter the cars age!! Unless it's a steam run engine ;)

I'm half messing, you kind of expect the odd splash of oil to make it into the exhaust on a leaky old engine, that's enough to cause a smell for a few journeys. My car was particularly bad until recently due to multiple engine leaks, exhaust leaks, rich mixture, rotten body seals and general hatred for me. Mines better now since fixing half my leaks and also putting new body seals everywhere to prevent the smells getting in the cabin when they do occur.

• Like 1

Jake, was it an oily smell or a plastic'y smell? (if you could tell?) I have a vague recollection of you posting some wiring through the bulkhead, and me pointing out that you really should put a grommet on it to prevent it rubbing through.

I can't think of much that could drip onto the exhaust on these engines, because they're counter-flow with the inlet and exhaust both on the back, basically everything else is on the front. The only stuff above the exhaust's the inlet manifold and steering rack, and then it's under the bulkhead.

Could it have been a jammed water-pump causing the auxiliary belt to slip and get hot?

• Like 1

Anyone know much about car electrics/heated seats?

Looking into fitting heated seats in mine, all the wiring is already there in the loom and recieved the switches today.

It looks like its going to be cheaper and easier to fit heating elements to my current seats, so does anyone know how the temperature settings work? Do the elements work on voltage control, or cut out when they get up to temperature due to a temperature sensor?