The Car Thread

MadManMike

Eeek!!!! :D :D :D

attachicon.gifcar.png

Nice!

Does that Ebay exhaust require any re-mapping or other modifications? Any noticeable change in MPG?

I now have the Cupra and love it! Need to check the brakes out though as it slow speed coming to a stop it feels as if they are pulsating slightly as if one of the discs may be warped slightly.

Shouldn't need any mapping, no. The ECU will adapt the fuel trims to allow for the extra flow.

You may need a lambda sensor spacer for the sensor after the cat if the car isn't mapped (mapping normally de-sensitises this sensor). Without a spacer you will get an engine check light, but it will be fine to run. They are about £15 from memory.

You honestly won't beat in value for money wise. How they can make it, AND ship it from America for £170 is beyond me!

So I've been quoted £60 for a stainless pipe at the back of the Leon. I realise it's not going to sound Skyline nice, but will it sound slightly better?

Basically, I'm up for it, I just don't want to get it done and then it sound awful.

Looking for replies from those with diesels, not petrol noise snobs :P

Is that removing the "muffler" as everyone seems to call it on here. It's called a mufflerectomy. Shittest name ever I know.

That's mine.

That sounds alright I reckon, definitely better than the tractor engine noise on it's own!

I'm sold on the idea.

In terms of driving along, is it loud in the car?

Also the whistling noise at idle is because of the downwards facing tip, I cut it off and it sounds SO much better.

You can't hear a thing when driving along, it's literally the best of both worlds. I'm not just saying that either btw! I drive loads daily and can't hear it. Even with my windows down I really have to listen out for it.

Barely noticeable when not on boost but when you boot it you can hear it a bit more. If you've got snapchat can send you some vids?

As said before, everyone always comments on how nice it sounds when driving past them and i'm always like EH I didn't even realise it sounds like anything haha

Everything is ready :) Comp tomorrow. Really looking forward to this one, last year the most M3's we had on a single comp was 5 including mine, this time it'll be 13 with one of them being an E46. We're all very interested how it'll do against the E36, not sure who the driver is.

BOLxO6p.jpg

Also got this to paint, yay! Deliberately had it arrive too late for tomorrow, for some reason I keep destroying bumpers and front windscreens. The annoying thing is that I can drive with a bumper which has been stitched from 8 pieces and a cracked windscreen for months but when I finally replace them it takes me a few hours to destroy the bumper and crack the screen again. Not this time :P

z0umaoV.jpg

• Like 1

Just bought a 1.8t passat on the cheap, 97k but hasnt got any proof of a cambelt change, Shall i change it straight away? The auxiliary belt looks in really good condition and definitely changed but hey ho that means nothing! Any way too tell if it needs changing visually?

Seriously close to buying that DM rod package, George. Would I need anything else at all/is it worth changing anything else while I've got the engine in a state of undress? Turbo won't be happening this side of July at least so mani etc will have to wait but would be nice not to need to get the head off any more frequently than is required. Need to get a quote on delivery time and a current price but if that's all I'd need it'd be rude not to get involved really!

The Ford website is useless.

I now have to wait an extra 2 weeks for my st3 because I didn't realise it didn't come with door protectors and the Sony premium sound pack (basically a subwoofer that fits perfectly and doesn't look out of place)

Cnut

Seriously close to buying that DM rod package, George. Would I need anything else at all/is it worth changing anything else while I've got the engine in a state of undress? Turbo won't be happening this side of July at least so mani etc will have to wait but would be nice not to need to get the head off any more frequently than is required. Need to get a quote on delivery time and a current price but if that's all I'd need it'd be rude not to get involved really!

You get pretty much everything you need in the kit. Depends how far you want to go with it though.

I ordered new piston rings for mine (£60 ish for a set of 4), but that mainly because I was putting new pistons in a complete strip down build. You could in theory use the old ones...but while they are out, you may as well change them.

The only other things to 100% change which don't come in the kit are the oil pick up pipe (about £12 with the seal), and the oil pump itself (about £30).

Other than that, its fairly straight-forward, just picking up bits from the kit. Even if you don't whack a huge turbo on, its nice to know you've had the engine apart and refreshed it, and also that you can boot it whenever you want and not worry about breaking anything!

• Like 1

Basically only a problem if you get stopped and have to provide your license, police don't care as technically you are legally able to drive but DVLA do as your photo is out of date and it can be a 1k fine. You can do it online and they use your passport photo if it is 5 years or less since you renewed it, fortunately mine was a few months within! Still got at least a week wait :(

I bought some of that G1 and G2 windscreen stuff a little while ago and got round to putting it on yesterday but then didn't actually test it out.

Just used it as an excuse to go to the pub, it wasn't raining but there was loads of water on there. Had to strain to not use the wipers, and it didn't seem to be doing anything. That was until I hit 40 and it just disappeared, amazing stuff! Hugely recommended.

• Like 1

I bought some of that G1 and G2 windscreen stuff a little while ago and got round to putting it on yesterday but then didn't actually test it out.

Just used it as an excuse to go to the pub, it wasn't raining but there was loads of water on there. Had to strain to not use the wipers, and it didn't seem to be doing anything. That was until I hit 40 and it just disappeared, amazing stuff! Hugely recommended.

Glad you like, I can claim my 10% commission now :)

The best bit is I've got enough to do lady's car too, because I only did the windscreen and front windows on mine - who uses back windows anyway?

Only complaint is that I'm pretty sure the 'residue remover' is just nail polish remover. Bit gimmicky, but that's a minor gripe.