The Car Thread

MadManMike

You've either got really shit tyres, REALLY intrusive ABS, or you're driving irresponsibly on the road :lol:

I have ABS active, and it's never an issue.

It's all very narrow country roads here and tourists have a real bad habit of driving on the wrong side of the road round corners, I frequently have to perform emergency stops, and ABS just doesn't stop you anywhere near fast enough, it's utter shite!

I didnt mind abs until I did a huuuuuuge abs skid (or several little multiples of :P ) on an A road (@ ton+), I had to go into the gravel between a car and the armco because of it, couldn't drop a hair down either side when i finaly stopped! I could have out broke the abs in maybe 2/3 the distance.

Its got its merits for harsh unexpected braking in slippery conditions, guess it depends on the driver.

It's all very narrow country roads here and tourists have a real bad habit of driving on the wrong side of the road round corners, I frequently have to perform emergency stops, and ABS just doesn't stop you anywhere near fast enough, it's utter shite!

You know where Prawn comes from, right?

Sounds like you need to drive a bit slower.

:)

Edited by Pashley26
  • Like 4

For the abs to kick in you would have had to have locked the wheels? In which case you probably wouldn't have beaten the abs ?

ABS doesn't slow you down faster, it just allows you to keep control of your steering. It increases stopping distances considerably! And it's just plain old dangerous in snow!

In a semi related matter, the traction control in my old Mondeo was laughable, rather than cut/reduce engine power whilst wheel spinning, it forced the accelerator pedal back into your foot with a big fat solenoid :lol:

• Like 1

I still stand by my opening statement.

For ABS to be kicking in, the wheels are already locking. That's the trigger.

Either too fast, or shit tyres.

To give a little more weight to the argument, I run slicks on track, and can quite literally outbrake just about everything, and the ABS NEVER kicks in in the dry, unless I'm a ham fisted idiot and stamp on the pedal on purpose.

My money is on shit tyres.

Today I had to sit through 9 hours of ridiculously dull lectures on British Maritime Doctrine in which I failed to maintain concentration for longer than around 19.6 seconds at a time.

As an almost direct result of this, I'm off to pick this up on Saturday:

1908005_10100551263177902_72081979140628

Few niggles but managed to get the price down to reflect that. Boom. Does mean I'll potentially have a spare set of CHs though... Nick, George etc ;)

• Like 3

My money is on shit tyres.

Brand new Avons, option A is closer to the truth :P

I just dont like ABS, I can stop a car faster without it, without locking up where the ABS would normally be shitting f**ks!

Oh yeah. I forgot to reply about the carbon stuff earlier. A normal automotive lacquer will work fine, but ideally you want one that provides UV protection. If the surface is nice and smooth you'll want to just key it with something around 1000 grit wet sanding. If it's textured you'll need to key it being careful not to go though the high spots, then build up plenty of thickness of lacquer to sand back to a smooth finish. If it's REALLY pitted/textured/covered in pin-holes, it might be worth chucking on a coat of surf board resin (make sure it matches the type of resin the parts are made with, either epoxy or polyester.) If it's a smooth finish, but just not very high gloss I'd probably just chuck a good few coats of hard-wax on there rather than messing with paint. It should come up to a decent shine and wont stone chip or anything as easily.

Luke, that looks nice, I'm a fan of red mk4 chassis cars, it seems to suit them all really well.

I was in the mood for some man-in-a-shed mechanics/engineering this evening, so popped to the local engine builders and picked up some gasket paper. Just made up new intake manifold, throttle body and thermostat gaskets for the MX-5, saving my self a few quid as well as allowing me to blank off a few holes that aren't needed anymore. I also decided to adapt the intake manifold to take a VW 1.8t throttle body I'd sized up for it a while ago as I've got a spare. Had to drill a new hole for one of the mounting bolts (3 out of 4 lined up) then attacked the throat of the manifold with a carbide burr to open it out to match the throttle body's larger diameter. I also made a start on carving a thick plate of carbon-fiber I had to blank off a hole in the inlet that used to form part of the idle control system. (Which will be replaced with the VW throttle body's system) I'm pretty pleased with how it's worked out, just need to order some new studs, nuts and bolts to mount it all back on the car.

Edited by RobinJI

I was in the mood for some man-in-a-shed mechanics/engineering this evening, so popped to the local engine builders and picked up some gasket paper. Just made up new intake manifold, throttle body and thermostat gaskets for the MX-5, saving my self a few quid as well as allowing me to blank off a few holes that aren't needed anymore. I also decided to adapt the intake manifold to take a VW 1.8t throttle body I'd sized up for it a while ago as I've got a spare. Had to drill a new hole for one of the mounting bolts (3 out of 4 lined up) then attacked the throat of the manifold with a carbide burr to open it out to match the throttle body's larger diameter. I also made a start on carving a thick plate of carbon-fiber I had to blank off a hole in the inlet that used to form part of the idle control system. (Which will be replaced with the VW throttle body's system) I'm pretty pleased with how it's worked out, just need to order some new studs, nuts and bolts to mount it all back on the car.

Interested to see this, any pics?

ABS doesn't slow you down faster, it just allows you to keep control of your steering. It increases stopping distances considerably! And it's just plain old dangerous in snow!

In a semi related matter, the traction control in my old Mondeo was laughable, rather than cut/reduce engine power whilst wheel spinning, it forced the accelerator pedal back into your foot with a big fat solenoid :lol:

Once you break traction and lock the wheels you are surely typically reducing the friction between the road and tyres? So surely having the abs reduce the pressure and regain traction is going to stop you quite a bit faster? I'll agree it's not going to be as good as being able to be on the edge of skidding constantly. But for it to kick in surely you've gone past that anyway. Or as part of the system is it thinking emergency braking and adding in force? I'm pretty sure that happens in some systems?

ABS always kicks in way before you break traction, in my experience. When I get a different car with ABS, I go out for a few drives with ABS on and make sure to hit it a few times (which doesn't mean driving quickly, it means stopping quickly) to learn where it happens. Then I turn it off, and keep it off. I have always been able to stop quicker without it, and as far as I'm concerned that's far safer. Obviously it's not for everyone, just stating my experience.

As another point, it's obvious to me that decent ABS systems can stop you quicker, otherwise F1 teams wouldn't have bothered with it when they were allowed. Unfortunately, the cars I've driven haven't had F1 quality ABS.

Edited by JDâ„¢

ABS always kicks in way before you break traction, in my experience.

Hmm, I always thought the ABS system was designed in such a way that it would detect a lockup, in order for it to kick in. Otherwise, how else would it know?

Doesn't ABS give marks like this too?

husqvarna-abs.jpg

Hmm, I always thought the ABS system was designed in such a way that it would detect a lockup, in order for it to kick in. Otherwise, how else would it know?

Doesn't ABS give marks like this too?

husqvarna-abs.jpg

you can 'skid' because the wheels are going slower/faster than the car, the wheels dont have to lock up to cause marks.