The Car Thread

MadManMike

12hours is about 11hours and 30minutes too long Mike, if I were you now I'd grab something light and abrasive like a scotch pad, scotch your basecoat then 1 coat of colour then 2 of clear to seal. If its still in basecoat it's easily salvaged.

I've done 6 or 7 light coats of gold, on top of 3 or 4 coats of primer.

If I put lacquer on without the scotching, what would the outcome be? I'm guessing it would flake off once dry?

Paste.

So I'm quite close to buying a set of 280's.

After a phone call from G last night I'm very keen to do Bedofrd now, only as a "slow" chilled out shake down session.

But I would like to get the brakes 100% first.

I would also like to level out the suspension, rear down slightly, front up slightly.

Then I need to change the oil and filters.

And fit a harness.

And collect some carbon door cards from Jamie, and fit them.

And spanner check the front end because I've got a slight knock.

I have sorted out an interior and exterior camera mount.

Inside.

11113041_1636298689918639_52532506970132

11393376_1636298589918649_20873694006680

And front facing.

11312740_1636298599918648_46654634485051

I'm not overly happy with the front facing view, but it is really hard to get a central front facing shot that isn't annoyingly in my face.

The cameras are SJ4000WIFI models, so controllable through my iPhone. The front facing camera will be run in conjunction with the iPhones camera overlaid by Harry's Lap Timer, the interior camera just video capture on the SJ4000.

:thumb:

So I'm quite close to buying a set of 280's.

What do you have at the minute?! I'd expect 280's as a bare minimum on something with that much power :blink:

Also, if you are going 280, don't bother with G60/Corrado/MK3 calipers, get S2 (or sport model 80's and all 90q) calipers, fit on 16v hubs, and with 280 discs but are twin pot.

Although they are massively heavy, but they're shit hot and are usually half the price of VW based calipers ;)

They're no bigger than G60 brakes, just longer! G60 brakes are Girling 54's, S2's are Girling 60's :)

Look for someone breaking an 80/90 quattro, you just want the calipers and carriers, expect to pay about £50 from someone who doesn't know what they are, or £200+ from someone who does ;)

Also, if you really wanna do it on the cheap, just buy 280 carriers (early MK3 8v is your best bet) and some discs and use your existing calipers, the only difference between the 16v and G60 calipers is how wide they are so to use 280 discs with them just means you have to skim a bit of material off any new brake pads you get.

:)

Are they the same as 80 V6 Quattro calipers?

Yip, should be, if you're making enquiries though don't ask if they're twin pot, ask if they have a 54 or a 60 cast into them because you need a specific part, and don't specify which, and ask for a price before you find any of that out.

Also

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-90-s2-2-2-2-3-5-cyl-sedan-coupe-20v-quattro-breaking-for-parts-spares-/281688879603?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4195f731f3

though he seems to be breaking a few cars there...

and

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1995-AUDI-80-2-0-8v-SPORT-SE-4-DOOR-SALOON-GREEN-WHEEL-NUT-WHOLE-CAR-BREAKING-/251636947655?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a96bb1ac7

As a good rule of thumb, if it has the 3 gauges in the centre console it should have S2 brakes... But check before you buy anything, there are exceptions :P

In case you weren't aware, you will need to buy discs separate aswell, Audi's are 4x108.

Edited by Jolfa

Jardo - couldn't you mount one so it's tucked in behind the rear view mirror? If you've got that in your field of vision anyway having part of a camera body poking down below it shouldn't make much difference and would probably be more useful for you than having a camera that's largely recording a load of empty space on the inside of your car?

Jardo - couldn't you mount one so it's tucked in behind the rear view mirror? If you've got that in your field of vision anyway having part of a camera body poking down below it shouldn't make much difference and would probably be more useful for you than having a camera that's largely recording a load of empty space on the inside of your car?

I had considered this.

I'm removing the rear view mirror to put a stick on wide angle mirror (better rear visibility on TD's) as a safety measure, so didn't want to go doing anything in a rush and having to remove it and re work it.

I know that it spoils the exterior light metering and focus, but it's quite nice to have a "bit" of inside to give some first person context to it.

It's not easy to get it right.

Ah, I was reading it as though you were going to be having two cameras at once so I thought one being specifically to show what was going on outside would be more beneficial rather than just providing a load of FB profile selfie opportunities :P

In car-related news, having to pay the equivalent of around 1/5th of my annual premium to cancel a policy sucks all the dicks. f**k you, insurance companies (Y)

Talking of insurance, has anyone ever suspended their insurance? And by that I mean putting it on hold for a week or 2 until you have a car again.

I am trying to sell my car at the moment, and when I do I'll obviously be wanting a new one, but there will be a small gap in between. I don't really want to cancel my insurance (though I will if I have no other choice) but I also don't want to leave my insurance on my current car once it's left my possession for obvious reasons.

Cunt. Just realised that not only did I have to pay them that much as a cancellation fee, but also the monthly payment for it got taken out yesterday (a couple of days earlier than I thought) so I also lost an extra £15 from that.

Talking of insurance, has anyone ever suspended their insurance? And by that I mean putting it on hold for a week or 2 until you have a car again.

I am trying to sell my car at the moment, and when I do I'll obviously be wanting a new one, but there will be a small gap in between. I don't really want to cancel my insurance (though I will if I have no other choice) but I also don't want to leave my insurance on my current car once it's left my possession for obvious reasons.

I did this while I was at university, so suspended it for a few months. All that happened was they refunded me the money for the loss of insurance when my policy came to its natural end. Wasn't a hassle at all with Admiral

• Like 1

I did this while I was at university, so suspended it for a few months. All that happened was they refunded me the money for the loss of insurance when my policy came to its natural end. Wasn't a hassle at all with Admiral

Lets hope esure are just as cooperative then. Thanks :)

Dang good trip.

Went over to Spain to pick up this weapons-grade shitter of a Series 3 to bring it circa 650 miles across the country to get it back to England via a really long ferry journey.

Picked up car;

10341527_10152772255237511_1692711587504

Went clubbing, got a hangover;

11334177_10152772868227511_8317044373389

Took a scenic route through central Spain;

11393166_10206810620048228_5981156082905

Snapped the front off the chassis (same both sides);

10390979_10152774576007511_8564786532835

Did 200 very cautious miles like that until we found a welder to borrow;

11393128_10152774614732511_5889686880481

Came home;

11391325_10152776540612511_1975684094674

• Like 1

I've done 6 or 7 light coats of gold, on top of 3 or 4 coats of primer.

If I put lacquer on without the scotching, what would the outcome be? I'm guessing it would flake off once dry?

It might flake, there's a few other powers at play. What lacquer are you using? As in brand and type? You might get away with it if your using single pack lacquer...

I'd try and avoid that much basecoat too, that too can give you issues.

top knot wanker

Man bun m8, sort it out ;)

Glasses_off.gif

Well, at least you've got plenty to write about...

I don't think that has ever been more appropriate - that was an exact representation of me on Sunday morning. We looked at the map today, I did between one and two hundred miles on a chassis that was supported by 3" of 2mm steel on the top of the box section, a steering arm, and the wings/ bonnet leaning against the bulkhead (that also collapsed). Scary.

I was wondering how I was gonna tactfully describe the car as a turd but there's no way around being honest now :lol:

• Like 2