The Car Thread

MadManMike

Fans shouldn't really matter for performance driving. The speed they pull air through the rad they'll quickly be overtaken by the air you're driving into as soon as you're not in traffic. They're more for traffic jams than thrashing, they're handy to bring temps down after a thrash, but if the cooling systems working properly they shouldn't need to come down much anyway. My scirocco had a knackered fan for a couple of months last year, it had no effect on spirited driving at all, I just had to stick the interior blowers on in traffic.

In theory the grill area should provide more than enough air to cool and feed the intake for a 1.8t. As a general rule of thumb the radiator will need an opening about 1/3rd of its area. That's pretty small, leaving loads of room to scoop some air off to the intake. Personally I'd look at taking the intake infront of the rad rather than on the passenger side. Get the air before the hot stuff rather than just further from it.

In my news, the sciroccos still barely been touched in months and the 406 is still trundling around happily. So alls boring here. Really, really need to pull my finger out and sort the scirocco.

• Like 1

They're more for traffic jams than thrashing, they're handy to bring temps down after a thrash, but if the cooling systems working properly they shouldn't need to come down much anyway.

That's exactly where Paul's had issues... It's fine when driving, but not in traffic. Weird, huh!

Paul: What's it like for space under there and how's cooling at present? 10" fans would cover a larger area allowing you to run slimmer fans or to run them at a slower speed whilst retaining the same level of cooling. Alternatively standard depth fans would give better cooling than at present if it's ever an issue or if you plan on using it in anger.

Are you still looking at dropping in a 1.8t at some point?

Fans shouldn't really matter for performance driving. The speed they pull air through the rad they'll quickly be overtaken by the air you're driving into as soon as you're not in traffic. They're more for traffic jams than thrashing, they're handy to bring temps down after a thrash, but if the cooling systems working properly they shouldn't need to come down much anyway. My scirocco had a knackered fan for a couple of months last year, it had no effect on spirited driving at all, I just had to stick the interior blowers on in traffic.

In theory the grill area should provide more than enough air to cool and feed the intake for a 1.8t. As a general rule of thumb the radiator will need an opening about 1/3rd of its area. That's pretty small, leaving loads of room to scoop some air off to the intake. Personally I'd look at taking the intake infront of the rad rather than on the passenger side. Get the air before the hot stuff rather than just further from it.

It has an 11" fan in a shroud, but mounting any other after market fan in the same shroud will be more work than its worth. I'm thinking maybe I should just plump up the cash for a standard fan again but I don't want another knackered one! The standard one was more than good enough when it was working, it was just I figured more room+ better cooling can't be a bad thing. It's just a bit disconcerting when sitting in traffic and it goes into the red, normal driving and hooning the temps are stable so the cooling system seems to be effective. I will 1.8T it in the future, just I have to postpone it as I want to know where I'll be living in the near future before starting on it.

Yeah, sorry, I wasn't questioning if it was needed, if it's broken it needs fixing, and you may as well upgrade while you're at it! I thought there was a suggestion of better fans being necessary for the 1.8t, but re-skimming over the thread I think I just miss understood.

Tic looks happy, this makes me happy. Glad the cars going well Nick, how are the skirts holding up?

• Like 1

So reference the above: £15 annual fee and I have full access to an extensive collection of tools and reference materials. £3 to hire a ramp for an evening (5 hours) and a full workshop on the side too (lathes, pillar drills etc)

Ideal!

Is that the workshop on Devonport/Drake? It is fantastic; I've used it twice to replace my cambelt and radiator. Surprisingly quiet too.

Is that the workshop on Devonport/Drake? It is fantastic; I've used it twice to replace my cambelt and radiator. Surprisingly quiet too.

HMS Sultan. I've not used the Devonport facilities yet, believe even us civil servants can use them :) Although I do need a couple of wheel bearings pressing out/in...

The parts I need to get my car back on the road were due tomorrow, now I've been told they'll be here on Monday! ffs :(

I fell your pain.

I ordered a lambda sensor last Tuesday ready for an MOT on Monday. Was shown as dispatched on Wednesday by 24h delivery, still not arrived Friday. Had to go buy one at local motorfactors costing £17 more. Finally turned up on Monday with the dispatch date of Friday on the delivery label. Needless to say they got a snotty email and its getting returned.

Is that for realz?

I just watched the video above and

Mighty Car Mods are 2 guys, a mechanic and a sound engineer having fun

No their test was not 1000% scientific and as mentioned above, there is a 3C degree difference

So if your car looks better with black intercooler paint it black, and remove your sunroof, and you will be back at 0% difference

and if you want to have a good laugh then

https://youtu.be/rp7yVicJMz8

Edited by HippY
  • Like 1