The Car Thread

MadManMike

Fair play, that is filth for you. It just annoys me, everybody on Audi-Sport is saying it looks shit and having the same opinion you lot have; but they have hero worshipped Nicks car for the last 5 years and not a single person has ever said the exhaust looks gash. I fit it, then its shit and not good enough. Just does my head in really. :/

Fair play, that is filth for you. It just annoys me, everybody on Audi-Sport is saying it looks shit and having the same opinion you lot have; but they have hero worshipped Nicks car for the last 5 years and not a single person has ever said the exhaust looks gash. I fit it, then its shit and not good enough. Just does my head in really. :/

Boo. That's not so fun :(

New end pipes with a curve to them so the box sits where it is but the exit is tucked up into the bumper? Far from ideal but would look nicer :P

I prefer the look of this to how it was, don't get me wrong, it'd just be a nice detail to get right if it were an easy fix. If it's not, then no need to worry about it!

(Y)

Back in other car-related news: What sort of ARB setup should I be looking at the for Leon, Gents? I'm assuming there's probably a usual setup that people run that's tried and tested along the lines of S3/LCR setups, but you guys will likely know better than I will and would be handy to know what to keep half an eye out for :)

• Like 1

Two things...

1. Who gives a shit if us chumps on the internet don't like it? Its your car, you've said you think it looks great so what is there to worry about?

2. You've said you think it looks great, which sorta opens the door for comments?

I don't care, not about internet peoples opinions of my car. As I said, I think it looks great.

I just find the inconsistancy confusing, that annoys me more than somebody not liking what I have done.

-

Imagine you posted a picture of your beautiful size 8 girlfriend in a dress, person A doesn't comment.

I then post a picture of my beautiful size 8 girlfriend in the same dress, person A comments saying the dress isn't a nice cut and then 5 or 6 other people agree.

Why didn't person A start the chain of negativity at your original posting of the dress?

Edited by Pashley26

It's the way you present it that's caused peoples reactions. On Nicks car it was kind of a background thing, it was just something that was there, no-one noticed or comented on it because he didn't make a big deal of it. You've jumped in going "It's the bestest most fantabulous brilliantness ever!!!!!!111" and people's reactions have been critical, because you're over-hyping something that's actually nothing that special. If you make out that things are perfect and brilliant, and as if that's a fact, people will step in and point out that they're not, because people are pricks, It's the human nature.

If you'd just posted saying something with a little humility like: "Changed my exhaust, I'm pretty pleased with it, sounds and looks how I wanted" then no one would have said a word. That said, no-one on here actually said anything besides voicing a fair opinion (which I'm pretty sure was meant constructively) that it would look better higher, then you hugely over-reacted, so people poked the wound a little.

If you like it all's good. I'm not really arsed about the looks, and I remember it sounding good on Nicks, so good times. (Y)

For the record, I don't really like my exhaust exit, so feel free to criticize back ;)

To jump on your girlfriend analogy, it's like they've posted the hot girlfriend saying "Here's my girlfriend, I love her" So everyone's reaction's basically been "fair play", then you've posted going "This is my girlfriend, she should be miss world" so everyone's gone, "erm.. not really" Doesn't mean the girls not hot, just means you've over-exaggerated things so people feel the need to pull you back down out of the clouds.

Edited by RobinJI
  • Like 1

George, didn't I fit your exhaust?

The exhaust on my A3 was on and off more than a tramps knickers...but yes, you did have a large part to play in some of the fabrication of several incarnations.

Mine originally sat below, and I HATED it. I had to cut quite a large chunk of sheet metal from behind the bumper, but it did push up once the hanger on the backbox was bent up.

What sort of ARB setup should I be looking at the for Leon, Gents? I'm assuming there's probably a usual setup that people run that's tried and tested along the lines of S3/LCR setups, but you guys will likely know better than I will and would be handy to know what to keep half an eye out for :)

Most people will say go for a rear more so than upgrading the front. A popular setup seems to be a 25mm or 28mm rear, and a 23mm front.

meh. I see both sides of the argument, there's a degree of Jardo bigging things up a little too much, I agree, but he's very enthuastic, he loves his car, and has an obsessive personality, we all know that, yet still so many play on it? it does get tiresome.

It's a good system, which has cost him 1/4 of what a new miltek would have cost, and it sounds better, and looks less offensive. The actual A3 Miltek system sits much lower than Jardo's new exhaust and looks truly terrible with two massive bling 3'' pipes, Jardo's sits around 2-3'' higher than an A3 Miltek, although still about 2'' lower than a mk4 golf Milltek.

The only visual difference, which I told Jardo earlier, is the cut out. His exhaust is tight into a temporary cut out, where I made a neat cut out with 15mm clearance all the way over the top of the exhaust, which was visable from behind, and gave the impression that it sat higher into the valance than it actually did, so it made it appear to blend in a little better.

He's happy though, so it's all god.

In all fairness, Prawn's car is a track car. You judge those completely differently. To me personally, this is one of the most beautiful cars I've seen on the events I take part in. It's just the essence of a track car, completely devastated on the outside but perfect under the shell.

148988_423347141068382_1318469738_n.jpg

However, if I saw someone driving around in something like that on the road, I'd think there's something wrong with him. I'm not saying that your exhaust makes the car look like the one above, just that in my mind comparing your car to Prawns is a fail. Personally, I found his car most appealing just after he had that unfortunate accident at the Ring.

That said, I don't give a shit about your exhaust sticking out and I'm really surprised that someone could be bothered to feel offended by it.

Edited by Greetings

if you just want a decent setup to improve things on a road car luke, and don't plan to go silly like some of us do, you can't go far wrong with the eibach F+R kit with 22mm front and 25mm rear bars, I think it's about £250 for the whole kit, direct bolt on fit with no messing, and really transforms the car.

If you're prepared to do a bit more messing about and searching, an R32 23mm front arb can be mounted to your drop links using longer bolts and spacers, and then hunt for a 25/28mm rear bar.

Truth be told the eibach kit is the easiest solution though. Couple that with some of the cheap ebay coilovers that are hated by so many and it'll be like a whole new car!

Am I being a twat?

Someone has advertised a shell of a mk2 Scirocco forsale for £500 ono on the basis that in 2008 it was a show car..The car has since been stripped of its wheels, engine, interior and all glass and they're advertising it as an 'ex-show car'. The paint work has also started to deteriorate and the lacquer is peeling in places.

Am I wrong to say that its a ridiculous price to ask? Theyre asking for a premium price based on the cars history but in its current state its nothing more than a black bare shell in need of work..

Is there any data floating about regarding ARBs and stuff on that car Nick? Reason I ask is that I've been doing a lot of reading up on suspension design and setups and more often than not you are reducing grip by adding roll stiffness. It depends on a whole host of other things obviously, but in basic form an axle has the most lateral grip when the tyres are evenly loaded, and a stiffer bar increases the percentage of load on the outside tyre.

In all fairness, Prawn's car is a track car. You judge those completely differently. To me personally, this is one of the most beautiful cars I've seen on the events I take part in. It's just the essence of a track car, completely devastated on the outside but perfect under the shell.

148988_423347141068382_1318469738_n.jpg

However, if I saw someone driving around in something like that on the road, I'd think there's something wrong with him. I'm not saying that your exhaust makes the car look like the one above, just that in my mind comparing your car to Prawns is a fail. Personally, I found his car most appealing just after he had that unfortunate accident at the Ring.

That said, I don't give a shit about your exhaust sticking out and I'm really surprised that someone could be bothered to feel offended by it.

I love that BM, looks rad!

Prawns pretty much explained it, although worth noting that Prawns car was a daily driven road car with that exhaust on it for a LOT longer than it has been a track car. Weird how people forget that A3 was the daily driver.

I've just found a great picture of a standard Miltek and my current exhaust on Prawns old car. What makes it heroic is the Miltek is on my old A3.

2129_62205146776_7927_n.jpg

:)

-

In a slight change of subject, sleepers. Everybody loves sleepers.

My mechanically trained attack badger Phil is about ready to get his A3 mapped.

Intercooler pipes are going black, and it will be getting a grille put in it. You'd never think it's a 300bhp capable setup under the bonnet.

268429_10151591434715130_1418404309_n.jp

307539_10151591434975130_590739954_n.jpg

Edited by Pashley26

Is there any data floating about regarding ARBs and stuff on that car Nick? Reason I ask is that I've been doing a lot of reading up on suspension design and setups and more often than not you are reducing grip by adding roll stiffness. It depends on a whole host of other things obviously, but in basic form an axle has the most lateral grip when the tyres are evenly loaded, and a stiffer bar increases the percentage of load on the outside tyre.

There isn't any scientific data that I know of Adam, but I think you make a VERY good point.

I often drive more standard cars, and I'm often surprised by quite how much grip they have, they're not nice to drive, they don't turn in well or precisely, and the balance isn't the same, but in terms of sheer grip, they're often fairly impressive.

I'd be very interested to see how mine felt with the ARB's set to full soft all round, I may even try disconnecting the rear at some point once the weather gets better. It's something I've thought about a fair bit, and with decent 2 way adjustable qualifty shocks you should be able to tune out much of the bodyroll with bump / rebound settings.

Will have to consult Robin, my suspension guru for some more in depth thinking!

Most people will say go for a rear more so than upgrading the front. A popular setup seems to be a 25mm or 28mm rear, and a 23mm front.

if you just want a decent setup to improve things on a road car luke, and don't plan to go silly like some of us do, you can't go far wrong with the eibach F+R kit with 22mm front and 25mm rear bars, I think it's about £250 for the whole kit, direct bolt on fit with no messing, and really transforms the car.

If you're prepared to do a bit more messing about and searching, an R32 23mm front arb can be mounted to your drop links using longer bolts and spacers, and then hunt for a 25/28mm rear bar.

Truth be told the eibach kit is the easiest solution though. Couple that with some of the cheap ebay coilovers that are hated by so many and it'll be like a whole new car!

Nice one, cheers guys. And yeah the plan is much as you've mentioned, Nick. Drop the car a touch on some Jamex coilies and just stiffen things up a touch to eliminate a bit of understeer. Nothing massive, though I won't rule out a potential trip to Niki at some point in the future :P

Just wondering about these god awful black box things that insurers have been popping in peoples cars. Is there anyway to remove the box but not alert the insurer?

Can i put it into my mums car alternately?

Or any-old car for that matter?

You don't actually effect total weight transfer through roll resistance. An anti-roll bar does exactly what it's name suggests, it resists roll through resisting the movement of the sprung mass, but it won't resist or alter the total weight transfer.

What you can do is alter the weight transfer across an axle, but that won't alter the total weight transfer of the vehicle. The confusion comes in because if you stiffen the roll resistance of just one axle, then that axle will experience greater weight transfer, (because it's outside wheel's being pushed into the ground harder in order to resist the rolling action). However because the total weight transfer is a constant, increasing the rear axles weight transfer will decrease the front axles weight transfer (and vice versa). So although you've lost grip at the back end, you've gained it up front. If you put stiffer bars on both ends of the car then you won't have effected the weight transfer the car will experience as long as you've left the balance the same. Although you won't have gained any grip either unless you had epic body-roll and a high CofG to start with. From what I've seen ARB's are great for improving the balance of a car, but if you want to increase the roll stiffness at both ends, it's completely down to drivers preference (within reason). In terms of maximizing grip it's essentially the same as spring choice, in that you're looking for a happy medium that allows sufficient suppleness to make the most of the tyres, without allowing too much unwanted movement of the sprung mass. Other than the cars balance, the weight transfer doesn't come into it as it's a fixed constant that's only effected by mass CofG height and track width.

One thing that needs considering with ARBs on a 2WD car is that one of the main times where you're struggling for grip when you really want it is corner exit as you try and get back on the power. If there's still a lot of weight transfer going on on the driven axle then your inside wheel will be seriously lacking grip, with an open diff this will be a big issue, so a nice stiff rear ARB will often help overall even if it means sacrificing the apex speed a little to get more grip on exit. With an LSD it's still a concern because as Adam says, the more even the loading is between the tyres the greater the total grip, but obviously it's not as much of an issue as with an open diff. If you look at Formula Renault cars (I think it's the renaults, one of the single seater series anyway) the rules don't allow an LSD, and to help traction they all run a mono-shock arrangement up front set-up for almost infinite roll resistance in order to maximize the driven axles grip.

Nick, you won't be able to fully emulate the effects of an ARB using your shocks. Remember dampers resist movement as a function of velocity while a spring (or ARB) resists it as a function of force. If you're altering the cars steady-state balance using the shocks you're simply reducing grip at one end, there's no resultant increase in grip at the other end like there is if you use weight transfer to achieve the same result. You can alter the balance during the cars initial reaction to changing conditions, which is definitely useful but it's not the same as using ARB's or spring rates.

Edited by RobinJI

Picked up an S4 front bumper the other night, only £50!
It's a bit of a winter project at the moment. I plan to sand it all down, get the numberplate recess and the headlight washer holes plastic welded and smoothed over. Then get it primered, and find someone to paint it!

23724_10152397992995317_787604611_n.jpg

This is how it started. I also need to find the outer grills and surrounds. Pretty hard to find so far!

541014_10152397992955317_845915409_n.jpg

Started sanding it down. I had loads of decent 240 grit at work, so I've used that so far. I'll be borrowing an electric sander off of someone soon to make it easier!

312443_10152397992185317_236270350_n.jpg

545014_10152397992345317_1180516688_n.jp

Started finding filler along the bottom, which is strange. I can't see any reason for it being there yet! But all will be revealed soon enough. I'm not fussed about it, as it will all be getting smoothed anyway!
It's had a LCR splitter fitted at some point too, so I might start looking for one of those too...

• Like 1