The Car Thread

MadManMike

Time for some epic cheap tyres. 50 quid a pop, 235/40R18 Avon soft compound rain tyre re-threads. Already used the slick version of this tyre and it's epic. Had to order one of those too because I forgot to flip them over after a few events and wore one down to the canvas. Can't wait to give the rain tyres a try.

dsc02154n.jpg

dsc02155kt.jpg

This also means I need to prepare a set of 18 inch rims. Got one but in green, they need a repaint. Got to do some VT, thinking about white, black or the exact same colour as the car (red). Ideas?

Some carbon goodness which arrived today D45C32EA-54E2-411F-A1D6-82CC2CC50F68-158

Just waiting on full miltek decat system

Literally the worst yet one of the most expensive induction kits for a TFSI.

Reason being that the filters inside are tiny, and fill up with water and rot them from the inside out. You'll be changing them every 6 months if you want to keep filtration up. The twin intake setup tricks the MAF into thinking that the air is travelling faster than it actually is and causes misfires and EML lights on unmapped cars. When going for a generic "stage" map there is little or no way to account for this. As such you will need a true custom map from somebody who knows what they are doing to see the claimed benefits of this.

Niki at R Tech used a Twintake on back to back tests against his own CAI which it just piping, a heat shield and a PiperX filter on the end. On an unmapped car his traditional filter setup/CAI had 2bhp more and 1lbft more torque over the twin take and a smoother graph, custom mapped on the same car he saw EML's and misfires when swapping from the standard filter back to the twintake and he then adjusted the map for the twintake to allow more fueling and whilst he did see a slight raise in peak power the torque curve dipped at high revs because the twin intake cannot supply the constant flow required for high end turbo torque.

Another issue is that they wear through against the head, I will find a picture of that for you so you can address it.

It is interesting reading online reviews about these, the placebo effect of a £300 carbon twin box intake is strong, but when I hear tuners telling people to ditch them I start to think twice. These regularly pop up on ebay or forums, which for me is quite telling.

Edited by Pashley26

Black! Red would look a bit fruity haha.

No need for a photoshop actually, just remembered about this car. Looks a bit meh...

DSC02734.jpg

Deffo black or like an anthracite colour .

Anthracite is an interesting call, could look good. Will look into it.

Why no white?

Any details on what those tyres are Alex? and how they're quite so cheap? I need some wet tyres myself very, very soon.

Prawn, those are tyres called Profil, they're a bit like Maxxsports except a lot cheaper. Without a discount they're about 58-68 quid in 18".

I've heard from people who used both these and Max's and found that the latter have better sidewall stiffness and that's about it. This has been improved on the new batch of tyres I've got in. Their website is run in English, don't know if that means you can buy them around Europe though. Would highly recommend them.

http://www.sklep.oponysportowe.eu/

Literally the worst yet one of the most expensive induction kits for a TFSI.

Reason being that the filters inside are tiny, and fill up with water and rot them from the inside out. You'll be changing them every 6 months if you want to keep filtration up. The twin intake setup tricks the MAF into thinking that the air is travelling faster than it actually is and causes misfires and EML lights on unmapped cars. When going for a generic "stage" map there is little or no way to account for this. As such you will need a true custom map from somebody who knows what they are doing to see the claimed benefits of this.

Niki at R Tech used a Twintake on back to back tests against his own CAI which it just piping, a heat shield and a PiperX filter on the end. On an unmapped car his traditional filter setup/CAI had 2bhp more and 1lbft more torque over the twin take and a smoother graph, custom mapped on the same car he saw EML's and misfires when swapping from the standard filter back to the twintake and he then adjusted the map for the twintake to allow more fueling and whilst he did see a slight raise in peak power the torque curve dipped at high revs because the twin intake cannot supply the constant flow required for high end turbo torque.

Another issue is that they wear through against the head, I will find a picture of that for you so you can address it.

It is interesting reading online reviews about these, the placebo effect of a £300 carbon twin box intake is strong, but when I hear tuners telling people to ditch them I start to think twice. These regularly pop up on ebay or forums, which for me is quite telling.

Hey sort of car are u talking from experience with this? I did do alot of researching before I went and bought it and really most people were praising it yes few people had issues but others haven't and seen good gains. This 1 also has the new piper cross filters in it and is the new revision I believe. Only had it on the car a day but so far my car is issue free and feels that wee bit more powerful.

This is the golf r twintake by the way. If I do come across any issues then all get rid of it but so far I have no complaints and my car is standard will be stage 2 end of the month.

• Like 1

Alex those tyres look fantastic, I've just sent them an e-mail about shipping to the UK. At those prices, If they can ship I'll definitely give a set a try!

Can I ask what compound you went for? they do the tornado sport in H, M, or S, with obviously soft probably being best for grip but not lasting so long.

XR01 slicks look great too, although it's a shame they only do 215/45/17's as ideally I'd like a 225/45 or 235/40.

Awesome find, I just hope they'll ship to the UK

Hey sort of car are u talking from experience with this? I did do alot of researching before I went and bought it and really most people were praising it yes few people had issues but others haven't and seen good gains. This 1 also has the new piper cross filters in it and is the new revision I believe. Only had it on the car a day but so far my car is issue free and feels that wee bit more powerful.

This is the golf r twintake by the way. If I do come across any issues then all get rid of it but so far I have no complaints and my car is standard will be stage 2 end of the month.

A friend of mine asked me to sort out an induction kit for him, so I did my research online and phoned my tuner for his opinion. I got all my information first hand from him.

Half an hour later I rang my friend to tell him not to buy one and he'd already done it. We fitted it and the EML came on and it started drinking fuel, initially we thought I had done something wrong. But after checking it over there were no leaks and everything was as it should be.

Re-fitted the original airbox and it all went back to normal.

The next week it went to R-Tech for its mapping and made 253bhp as a totally standard car with a custom map.

61661_10151495463055130_145877604_n.jpg

R-Tech have just (yesterday) got 299.8BHP from a K03 TFSI using their traditional "filter in a heat shield" CAI. Which is a lot more than anybody else ever have with any other setup.

I certainly wish you the best of luck with it, I think you've got a Golf R haven't you? Should make good figures with a K04, as long as your tuner knows what they are doing.

Who's mapping it for you?

Edited by Pashley26

The ko4 forge twintake is different from the ko3 gti 1 I believe but no eml light on so far.

Yeh golf r is what I have mate. Will just be a generic revo map by the looks of things and tweaked to suit the car or possibly giac when I get hpfp only heard good things about them and there dsg map.

No 1 near by that I would trust to do a custom map. I should see about 330bhp then hpfp should see anywhere from 360-370 I think which is as far as all be taking the car also will probably get a dsg map at some point.

If intake struggles at the 360 mark all change for the evoms which I was also looking at.

I got the forge at a decent price and was practically brand new so thought if jump at the chance to try it out.

I do know about the fuel trims and it running slightly high I can't check this on my car but if that's the case I know forge are looking at a fix.

Car is mapped in 2 weeks so all get it on dyno afterwards and put the graph up here. Am no car whizz kid but hopefully u guys will be able to advise on how it's running.

Had a little breakdown earlier, the wire running my high-pressure fuel pump failed where it went into a connector, pain in the arse. At least it was an easy fix. I ended up having to replace a section of the wire going to it though, which leads me to another question: Does anyone know of a flexible sealant that'll withstand fuel? These wires have been sealed with epoxy so far, but because it's so hard after a while they started weeping slightly from the wires moving around within the epoxy. So idealy I need to find some sealant that's fuel proof and with a little give in it. If not I'll have to make a new lid for my swirl-pot with a wiring plug built into it. Any ideas?

Also finally got my new wheels down from Wales. Look awesome on the car, but one of them's got a pretty serious ding in it, so I've had the tyre taken off ready for a straightening session. I was hoping to do it earlier, but I've been feeling like shit the last week or so, and by the time I'd fixed the fuel pump in the pissing rain on the side of the road I wasn't really feeling like it! Current thinking's to stick one of the many spare hubs I've got in a vice and bolt it to that, that way I've got a nice jig to get it spot on in. I need some 10/15mm spacers for the back too, but I might just space the stub axles, far from a priority though. First thing's to get the wheel straight and a new pair of CV's on there so it drives well again.

Edited by RobinJI

With regard to the sealant when I used to work on aircraft we used this stuff, its used to seal fuel tanks on planes its good stuff! It applies like normal sealant and will dry similar to a rubber so ideal for plugging and its flexible.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PR1422B-SEALANT-aircraft-boat-car-PRC-fuel-tank-repair-/130474718671

All the RTV type sealants I've seen (basically anything silicone based) seems to say it's ok with light petrol contact, (like fuel vapor in an inlet manifold) but they say they can't be used in permanent contact with fuel. I've seen it tried, and I even stuck a little on this joint as a temp fix, bit it always softens and dissolves after a little while.

Lukas, Cheers for that, definitely a good one to know about, that stuff looks ideal but do you have to use the whole lot at once?! I only need 2 tiny blobs haha.

All the RTV type sealants I've seen (basically anything silicone based) seems to say it's ok with light petrol contact, (like fuel vapor in an inlet manifold) but they say they can't be used in permanent contact with fuel. I've seen it tried, and I even stuck a little on this joint as a temp fix, bit it always softens and dissolves after a little while.

Lukas, Cheers for that, definitely a good one to know about, that stuff looks ideal but do you have to use the whole lot at once?! I only need 2 tiny blobs haha.

I've worked with RTV sealants too but never in contact with fuel!

And yeah you could mix it up what ever amount you need, Just squeeze say a golfball amount of the purple stuff and a bit smaller than a pea size amount of the accelerator and mix it up thoroughly by hand (not actual hands that shit dont come off easily haha). It'll set in half hour as its PR1422B1/2 you can get a PR1422B2 which will take two hours if that's easier. Other than that you can put any unused sealant in the freezer in a cup and it'll last a few weeks, the unmixed sealant in good conditions will last quite a while and you're not using it on a plane so its safe to keep it for quite long!

Don't over do it on the accelerator though that's the key.

edit: just read a data sheet it says 13.3:100 which is close to the 1:10 I was guessing

Edited by LukasMcNeal

Cool cheers, I'm fine playing with 2 part chemicals, doing a lot of work for a composites manufacturing company at the moment, so that's fine. It just looked like the container thing they were selling it in was made so it just dispensed it all at once, but I guess I could just dismantle it and use what I want to. Good shout.

Popped down to my mot station today to boo the passat in. Chap refused to mot it unless I raise it up :lol: Not too much of a bad thing thou, I took the helpers out the front so when it's jacked up the springs are loose, should be able to solve that.

Guessing guessing the springs aren't what he had a problem with? Sucks a bit but I suppose it can't hurt to run a bit higher until the end of the winter at least.

I measured the Scirocco's ground clearance the other day and I've got 95mm under there, that's ludicrously high by my standards, needs to come down but it'll need arch and suspension work to get much lower haha.

@Tom: Oops! :P

Considering popping some coilies on the Leon in the near(ish) future to reduce the silly arch gap. Could get interesting considering I already have to take a rather scenic route to work to avoid the worst of the potholes/speed bumps, but with a new load at work itself and the God awful roads out near Mum and Dad's I may have to keep things a tad sensible on the ride height front. Need to get under there and measure current clearance really to see what I can get away with.

Jardo: Was it you who had an arch roller kicking about? :shifty:

Slam it Luke, be a hero.

Nah it weren't the springs he disliked, just the hassle the ride height would give him. Like you can't just jack it up, the only jack I've found that fits under is the scissor jack that came with the car. Doesn't matter too much, I've been meaning to lift it since I put my winters on last November incase we get any snow.