The Car Thread

MadManMike

Yeah, I was going to say, dislocating springs are fine as long as they reliably relocate. My friendly tester commented on mine, but they he commented on most of the car, and spent a while questioning what age emissions test he was meant to do with a 1999 engine in a 1988 car haha. Surely you just need a place with a sunken 4-poster? No need to jack a car for the MOT. Only real issue it can cause is with brake rollers, but you can go on them pretty low as long as you've not got tiny wheels.

Alex those tyres look fantastic, I've just sent them an e-mail about shipping to the UK. At those prices, If they can ship I'll definitely give a set a try!

Can I ask what compound you went for? they do the tornado sport in H, M, or S, with obviously soft probably being best for grip but not lasting so long.

XR01 slicks look great too, although it's a shame they only do 215/45/17's as ideally I'd like a 225/45 or 235/40.

Awesome find, I just hope they'll ship to the UK

Width is a problem. Their general thinking was that if someone needs wide tyres, they probably have a powerful car. If they have a powerful car, they can afford "proper" tyres. But these turned out to be so good that people are even using them on Evos. 225 is the widest slick they make, the Tornados come in 235 which is why I bought them. Mine are soft, reason is I have experience with the soft compound and it's epic. This is a mud/rain tyre, if you're just using them on a wet track with little standing water, I'd get the XR01 slicks in soft and ask them to put some extra grooves in. My XR01's are more of an intermediate, there's some extra grooves for removing water on the inside. By the way, the soft is not a typical rain tyre compound. If you've ever used rain tyres you will have noticed that they don't squeal even in the dry. These do.

Conditions my soft pair has worked well for front wheels/non drive:

- rain, any temperature

- dry below 10C

- work well even at -10C, get up to heat very quickly

Rear wheels/drive:

- rain

Wear is not an issue surprisingly. The set I've got on the M3 lasted me 1 season during which I used them 1x rear axle cold dry, 1x rear axle wet, 5-6x front axle cool/cold but dry. Each event adds up to at least 35km of sprinting + at least 20km of training. The above use resulted in one tyre worn to the canvas and one tyre worn half way.

The hard compound is equivalent to 595's apparently.

edit: Our use of cars is completely different, I rely on maximum grip for 5-8km, you need to balance thread wear if you're doing many laps. If I were you, I'd go for rear softs and front... probably soft too but with your power output and FWD those could wear quickly.

Edited by Greetings

MoT is due next week on my focus, not particularly concerned about anything but I have a slight notch/clunk in the steering when turning the wheel left from centre. It doesnt happen at any other position and there is no free play at all. Is this likely to be an MoT issue? It feels almost as if there is a dead spot in the power steering, don't know if that is covered in the test though.

I dont think it's a dead ball joint and the symptoms point towards a worn rack, however I'm horrifically lazy when it comes to working on the car so me changing a steering rack in the next week is unlikely to happen :(

Width is a problem. Their general thinking was that if someone needs wide tyres, they probably have a powerful car. If they have a powerful car, they can afford "proper" tyres. But these turned out to be so good that people are even using them on Evos. 225 is the widest slick they make, the Tornados come in 235 which is why I bought them. Mine are soft, reason is I have experience with the soft compound and it's epic. This is a mud/rain tyre, if you're just using them on a wet track with little standing water, I'd get the XR01 slicks in soft and ask them to put some extra grooves in. My XR01's are more of an intermediate, there's some extra grooves for removing water on the inside. By the way, the soft is not a typical rain tyre compound. If you've ever used rain tyres you will have noticed that they don't squeal even in the dry. These do.

Conditions my soft pair has worked well for front wheels/non drive:

- rain, any temperature

- dry below 10C

- work well even at -10C, get up to heat very quickly

Rear wheels/drive:

- rain

Wear is not an issue surprisingly. The set I've got on the M3 lasted me 1 season during which I used them 1x rear axle cold dry, 1x rear axle wet, 5-6x front axle cool/cold but dry. Each event adds up to at least 35km of sprinting + at least 20km of training. The above use resulted in one tyre worn to the canvas and one tyre worn half way.

The hard compound is equivalent to 595's apparently.

edit: Our use of cars is completely different, I rely on maximum grip for 5-8km, you need to balance thread wear if you're doing many laps. If I were you, I'd go for rear softs and front... probably soft too but with your power output and FWD those could wear quickly.

Thanks mate, that's an absolutely fantastic reply :)

At the moment I'm looking for a few things, a road tyre that's going to grip well but be safe to use in wet conditions and cover lots of mileage, this sounds to be like the hard Tornado in 235/45, especially if the compound is similar to 595's but with more tread, that'd be amazing!

Then for a proper wet maybe some 225/45 tornado's in the soft compound as you say.

What appeals to me hugely is the range of compounds, crazy cheap pricing, and the fact that they're road legal. I could buy 3 sets of these for the cost of one set of A048R's.

Being re-treads doesn't bother me at all either, they're 94V rated, so 670kg/axle and 149mph. My front axle carries just under 400kg per side, and the rears around 200, and I highly doubt i'll be seeing 150mph on any tracks in this land!

Amazing find, I'm so glad you mentioned them! Just waiting on them to get back to me with a shipping quote.

I have a front bumper that needs a lick of paint! Can you do 2 pack? I could pay you in beer?

I work 2pk everyday :wink2: If you supply paint, prep and labour will be foc. I'm basically trying to boost my portfolio of personal work outside the company so I can build a personal reputation. I eventually intend on setting up at home and working my own way. Not specifically cars though. At the minute I paint huge massive machines and such like for the heavy engineering sector.

Productive day today:

New exhaust fitted

Replaced oil filter and changed the oil

Sorted my door seals to stop the crazy pools of water in the footwells.

Feels like a new car now!

Also considering getting some lows, thinking 40mm will be sufficient. Was planning to sell the car but I might hang onto it until summer...

• Like 1

I work 2pk everyday :wink2: If you supply paint, prep and labour will be foc. I'm basically trying to boost my portfolio of personal work outside the company so I can build a personal reputation. I eventually intend on setting up at home and working my own way. Not specifically cars though. At the minute I paint huge massive machines and such like for the heavy engineering sector.

That sounds smashing! Ideally the whole front of my car needs doing as my bonnets stone chipped to hell and both my wings have been hit by morons....is that too much to ask seeing as it means masking off the rest of the car vs simply spraying the bumper? Alternatively can you blend in just small portion of the wing if i prepped where the damage is?

Otherwise just bumpers fine :) I can do the prep to a point but it's on my daily car (it's already pretty damn good as i have only recently painted it but was supplied the wrong colour) so I would need to hang about for it to be done I guess

Getting really pissed off with this golf now.

I had it taken to my dads mates garage on tuesday, he did a few things to it and thought he had sorted it yesterday. But wanted a good run in it this morning. My dad picked it up and he is as mechanically minded as a lampost and didn't pick up on what they said they'd done. Something to do with a vacuum. They did manage to get it to do it on the ramp though (spluttering). Anyway I took the car off my dad and drove it home, it felt a bit flat at times and eventually cut out like before :'( managed to get it home but it kept trying to cut out but today if you kept your foot down it would usually kick back and keep going (albeit a bit rough)

I'm propper fuming and at a time when I don't even have the time to be fuming. Might have a look see if I can see what's been done over the weekend and report back.

Which would put you in the ballpark for something like this;

http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=482304

By the time you've talked him down a tad you've got spare funds to buy the facelift starfish alloys and are in the realm of win (Y)

Edit; Did you ever speak to Sammo, selling the one I linked you to before? At £1500 that's a winner for sure!

New wheels:

431234_10151342506024855_1969667971_n.jp

537872_10151342506034855_1487697547_n.jp

537812_10151342506039855_156037182_n.jpg

538369_10151342506124855_219084435_n.jpg

Center caps will go silver to match the wheels, then I need to get it sitting right, for now I think that'll just mean tweaking the arches a tad and spacing them out a touch more. Front's need another 5/10mm I think and rears need 15/20 along with dropping the car around 10/15mm lower.

• Like 2

Wheel bearing on the rear packed in on Monday night, had to nurse it round until today (my day off) to fix it. Thought it was the rear brake pads that were shagged until I got the wheel off. Totally f**ked. At least it's one of those bolt on hub assembly's that are easy to sort out :) got a brand new one on the cheap courtesy of a mate who works at a big dealers. Cheapest one I could find cash and carry was £60. Got mine for £40 delivered

Edited by bing

Then register you big gay :P

I don't actually use e38, but for keeping an eye out for a bargain it's well worth being a member of a few forums. And get your car sold so you can buy outright - nobody wants to swap unless they've posted on that god awful Swapz website (which may be worth half a look for you haha!)