The Car Thread

MadManMike

Or get a diesel :D Economy, boost and shit loads of torque.

If you're getting that car and worrying about mpg i'd say you shouldn't be considering that car, if that makes sense and hopefully doesn't make me sound like a patronising dickhead?

Nah you're already a dickhead ;) the na's 30mpg is good enough for me but my thinking is if I could get 30mpg or thereabouts when commuting out of a tubby, switch maps and then fly when I want a bit of fun then I might as well. Is it a feasible idea?

They're usually completely out of puff by 4k, it makes me cry when I drop a gear to overtake and have less power than the gear I was in in the first place :P

On the other hand, I don't think I'd get on with a VTec either, no power until 19000 revs then that's your lot by 19001 :lol:

I guess it's the lack of a power range I don't get on with, 1000 revs is not enough to have any fun with :P

• Like 2

Completely with you on that Jolfa. I'm perfectly happy to use a diesel as a very effective and decent method of getting from A to B, but the anti-climax that comes with every gear-change spoils the idea of having much fun in one for me. That said, with the right chassis they can be fun, but then that same chassis with a decent petrol engine would be better anyway.

I also think diesels are getting to be a bit tricky unless you can afford something very new. Old simple diesels are all getting to be past their best, and hard to find good examples of, while newer diesels despite working better, are basically a pile of expensive parts awkwardly bolted together and waiting to kick your wallet square in the balls. It used to be that diesel was the simpler, more reliable choice for people who wanted to do inter-stella mileages, but the new generation seem to have lost that advantage.

Azarathal, a low boost switch won't help your economy any more than just pushing the throttle less would. If you were to modify the car, you could fit a switch to go back to the standard boost pressure, but you couldn't really run less boost than that without making modifications that would hurt the performance when you do want boost. Most turbo cars will never be quite as economical as their naturally aspirated equivalent as the changes made to the engine to allow it to perform well with the turbo hurt its efficiency.

(PS, it's a turbo, not a 'tubby'. It's never a 'tubby' :P)

Edited by RobinJI

As a recently converted serial petrolhead, I am really enjoying diesel ownership.

It just works.

It's not super fast, but it still gets down the road ok, it's immense on fuel, once you get used to which gear to which speed it's great.

And unlike almost everyone else I know, I went from a smaller engine displacement petrol which had tonnes more torque, and loads more power. So if anyone should be complaining about diesel ownership it would be me.

Not to mention, a 140Bhp diesel like I have is quicker than many "hot hatches" from back in the day that we all used to praise. If it's got a good chassis (which fortunately my 8P does) then the power of the car and the way it is delivered should only be half the story.

Whilst I don't for a second say diesel is the future for me, unless you are a seriously committed petrolhead there is no need to shun it. Like I used to...

A friend of mine owns this -

1459890_10152075826410420_559230721_n.jp

Known to be the most highly regarded diesel BMW in the country. It's a million miles better than an M3, in every way.

Edited by Pashley26

Even at going round corners? :P

Haha, I was thinking that.

I'm not anti-diesel in the slightest, they're great for getting around the place, and for a lot of people they're a better choice than a petrol. My next daily driver will probably be a diesel, they're nice to drive when you're not trying to have fun, nice and effortless/relaxing.

But... I do think having a diesel engine fitted does detract from how fun a car is. There getting quick by all means, but anything from the '80s with a GTI badge is quicker to 60 than something like your A3. Yeah the A3's more tunable, but that's because it's got a turbo, not because it's a diesel. There are some really quick diesels around, the BMW's being a good example, but if you're wanting a car with fun being the main priority, then it's not a good thing in my eyes. If you NEED economy and space, and you still want fun, then the right one can still be a good choice though.

PS, diesel BMW with a personal plate starting 'M3' = fail, regardless of how nice it is. :P