The Car Thread

MadManMike

Jardo: I've been chatting to this guy with the LCR (also having a chat with his mechanic in the morning) and I'm incredibly tempted to get mum to drive dad up to grab the new Landy so I an sneak off and collect the Seat as well. Only trouble is it's got some early signs of the head gasket being on its way out. Not certain that's what it is yet, but if so I'd much rather get it sorted as soon as I can rather than driving 200 miles back and doing it if at all possible. Kind of thing your old man would be able/willing to do if I end up taking the car?

Will drop you a message tomorrow once I've managed to investigate a little more. That may well be another option - possibility of maybe getting you to collect it and run it to your dad's for the head gasket/cambelt then I'll head up again the following weekend to collect or something. Will keep you in the loop - drinks/food/etc as repayment of course.

It's a bit rough around the edges and needs a little love to bring it back to it's prime to say the least, but other than the HG it's all pretty minor stuff and at the price he's offered it to me, could be a real winner. Just need to shift one of the Golfs to make room now. Cheap to anyone who wants one :P

• Like 2

I couldn't physically watch it beyond half way That is f**king atrocious.

In today's news, i've been prepping my mate;s Series One Landy - we're diving it from here to Lands End to John O Groats this weekend. Leaving friday night, back for work Monday morning.

Will drop you a message tomorrow once I've managed to investigate a little more. That may well be another option - possibility of maybe getting you to collect it and run it to your dad's for the head gasket/cambelt then I'll head up again the following weekend to collect or something. Will keep you in the loop - drinks/food/etc as repayment of course.

It's a bit rough around the edges and needs a little love to bring it back to it's prime to say the least, but other than the HG it's all pretty minor stuff and at the price he's offered it to me, could be a real winner. Just need to shift one of the Golfs to make room now. Cheap to anyone who wants one :P

Does this mean i'm going to have to cut this damn cast off, get some money out the bank and clear a space in the garage so we can fit some bits?

Realistically I'd take £1200 for the gt tdi as it is (on full LCR running gear/brakes which Craig is looking to have so could get £500 back from that) but needs the flywheel replacing.

Also have a 1.6 16v se that could be an option for £600.

Realistically I've been planning to do the flywheel, sell Craig the LCR bits and sell the gt tdi for around £1800 but have been offered another car for silly good money so could do with a quick sale to make space :(

Thanks! However following a quick discussion it turns out she's not got the cash to properly think about changing cars atm anyway, sorry! I foolishly presumed when she had asked me to look for a new car for her last week that would imply she was financially ready to do so :eyeroll:

R-Bizzle, what makes you think its the head gasket? They don't typically fail on 1.8t's. If there's oil in the coolant, its more likely to be the oil cooler/heat exchanger on top of the oil filter. They are a pretty common point of failure, and give symptoms which a lot of people associate with head gasket failure.

Could be onto a real winner if its just that!

Purely going on the info from the current owner at the mo. Through chatting it doesn't sound like anything severe or sinister. The ONLY thing that's between me picking it up on Saturday or not is having space to keep the Golf for a month or so 'til I can get the Brembos of and flog it.

If I could sell Soph's Golf then that problem disappears very quickly...

Blew the engine up in July and not had the cash to fix it yet - it's in a shed at the moment while I build it a new 'un (and it avoids the grit!)

Not sure how far i'm gonna go tuning it, but i've got a high compression 3.1 bottom end and some race heads to go on along with a funky cam, should be at least an extra 30-40bhp to pay with which'll be very nice. Going to treat the suspension to a full going over as well, new single leaf rear springs, adjustable shocks and eccentric mounts for the coilies up front for CAMBER Y0

Audi is up on eBay £6000 classified ad with best offer, 2 offers so far, same guy £2800 and £3000 :mellow:

Who offers less than half the asking price of anything ffs! Hate eBay. On a similar note, sold my boat the other day to a guy in Northampton who doesn't reply to emails, why the f**k bid for something you obviously can't collect/pay for?! Urgh.

Audi is up on eBay £6000 classified ad with best offer, 2 offers so far, same guy £2800 and £3000 :mellow:

Who offers less than half the asking price of anything ffs! Hate eBay. On a similar note, sold my boat the other day to a guy in Northampton who doesn't reply to emails, why the f**k bid for something you obviously can't collect/pay for?! Urgh.

I had some fanny offer me a a Vauxhall Insignia?!

I sent him a reply saying, 'no thanks, I'm not interested in swapping for a Vauxhall Insignia.'

He replied with 'why'

I replied with 'because I haven't given up on life just yet.'

He didn't reply.

• Like 4

You do get some jokers, Dad was selling my brothers Ignis Sport on Ebay the other day, only 650 quid and some nob offered £100.... Makes sense.