The Car Thread

MadManMike

I'm going to change the cam belt myself on the Astra, I never done it before on an interference engine so I feel a little anxious about it! It looks easy enough on the video I watched, just about taking your time and ensuring EVERYTHING lines up as it should. Any tips from people who have tackled the 1.9CDTI engines? I'm replacing belt, tensioner, waterpump and aux belt whilst i'm there.

Take a minute out of your day to sign this important petition.

https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/72458

It basically says, "you've moved near to a Motorsport venue, of cause it's going to be noisy you idiot. The circuit was here first, and you chose to live here. So no you can't conplain."

Edited by Pashley26

I'm going to change the cam belt myself on the Astra, I never done it before on an interference engine so I feel a little anxious about it! It looks easy enough on the video I watched, just about taking your time and ensuring EVERYTHING lines up as it should. Any tips from people who have tackled the 1.9CDTI engines? I'm replacing belt, tensioner, waterpump and aux belt whilst i'm there.

Ive never done it either but surely its just a case spinning it over a few times by hand and rechecking all your markings.

Ive never done it either but surely its just a case spinning it over a few times by hand and rechecking all your markings.

I did that on my old fiesta, turned over perfectly no issues, cranked it on the starter and it went crunch. Result 4 damaged pistons, 2 damaged compression chambers, 2 snapped valves, 9 bent valves :)

Moral of the story is make sure you have torqued up all the belt pulleys, especially if they are keyless shafts! :D

Yeah I was going to spend the £20 on a locking kit, not worth the risk! I think i'll just go for it as I don't have £300 knocking about to have a garage do it (seems the usual cost). Then it is just a case of tidying it up a bit (a good polish will help loads), changing the oil when the new sump plug arrives (the old ones chewed and my suction pump thing isn't working very well), replace the rotten back box with a nearly new genuine one i got for a tenner, replace a fog light and it should look respectable enough. I'm trying to not start playing with it, I want to save the money for the Porsche which seeing as it's not relied on as a daily now I can get saving for the 1.8t :D

I've done a few and as others have said check and double check your markings and you'll have no problem. Most Vauxhall timing pulleys are keyed anyway so slipping shafts shouldn't be a problem, it can all only go back on one way

20 quid on the timing kit is worth it too, better than a costly 500+ head off repair if it does go tits up too!

• Like 1

Plans for the new year sorted..

Micra was tracker fitted today - Cheaper insurance, means I can't hoon everywhere and break it. It will serve a purpose as a reliable cheap to run daily...

Because I'm renting out a unit! Me and a mate are going halves on it and both doing a ground up rebuild on our 96-00 Civic hatches. Aim is to have it ready for the road this time next year to tie in nicely with the end of this year's insurance policy

Looking forward to getting into it

So other than breaking down, i've done some other stuff:

Pollen filter was due a change... I don't think i've ever bought a car that has had it changed before, grim!

2014-12-02135427_zps61fd9c8e.jpg

Old exhaust vs new:

2014-12-02115955_zpsfda4e7e1.jpg

Tip and hangers swapped over

2014-12-02130817_zps53020c61.jpg

And refitted, not wonky so Jardo might not appreciate it

2014-12-02132650_zpsdb689c95.jpg

Sidelight was out so I rummaged through my box of crap and found some blue tinted halogens...surprisingly very white looking

2014-12-01195919_zpsba8134d8.jpg

Lots more to do...

• Like 2

I would win a wonky exhaust competition.

Good news that you're starting to save for the 1.8T conversion Paul, that will be truly epic. I'm still waiting on the damn camshaft for my engine. Paid for it in May I think. As long as I can get it running (and running well!) before this track-day then all will be well.

MOT before then though, and at the moment it will not pass. :(

I would win a wonky exhaust competition.

Good news that you're starting to save for the 1.8T conversion Paul, that will be truly epic. I'm still waiting on the damn camshaft for my engine. Paid for it in May I think. As long as I can get it running (and running well!) before this track-day then all will be well.

MOT before then though, and at the moment it will not pass. :(

10644817_1558411967707312_70414049817723

Previous effort.

20130606_140457_zpsbd5705d2.jpg

Previous effort to that.

2011-09-17112227.jpg

Another previous effort.

DSCF5145.jpg

And previous efforts.

359l9wy.jpg

Need I continue?