The Car Thread

MadManMike

I'm debating new tyres. 

Winters on its way and even on the few rainy days we've had of late even my normal drives have turned into interesting ones on my Parada Spec2s. Decent wet weather tyres? 

People seem to speak highly of Rainsport 2's and 3's but some other opinions are always welcome. Nothing massive pricey if possible. 

Probably the fifth time I've suggested these and I'm sure I'll be ignored again, but EfficientGrips are the best I've ever driven. The Eunos is RWD as you probably know and on wet roundabouts it sticks nicely unless I really nail it in second. Cracking tyres and for my size it was less than £200 for all four.

• Like 2

I'm debating new tyres. 

Winters on its way and even on the few rainy days we've had of late even my normal drives have turned into interesting ones on my Parada Spec2s. Decent wet weather tyres? 

People seem to speak highly of Rainsport 2's and 3's but some other opinions are always welcome. Nothing massive pricey if possible. 

Had my Pirelli PZero Neros for 2 years and 15000 miles and like them enough to be having 4 new ones fit on Saturday.

Good all rounders really and not as steep as the Michelins.

I want instant, accurate TF car diagnosis :D

My fucus has started wallowing round corners and is particularly boatlike when braking at slower speeds.  I've briefly checked the arbs are still connected (had new rear links earlier this year and new fronts 18 months ago), there are no odd knocking noises that I would expect from having a shot damper.  I haven't had a chance to get under the car yet so this is a completely blind guesstimate.

Diagnose my car now, go!

Edited by forteh

This is different to soft tyres*, it doesn't get squirmy, just rolls and wallows more than it did a couple of weeks ago!

*I know because I spent 18months with slow punctures in one of the old rears; all tyres are good, fronts are 1.5k old, rears are about 3k and were rotated off the front.

I'll chuck it up on the jack and see if any of the springs are loose/rattling without weight on them, cheers so far :)

This is different to soft tyres*, it doesn't get squirmy, just rolls and wallows more than it did a couple of weeks ago!

*I know because I spent 18months with slow punctures in one of the old rears; all tyres are good, fronts are 1.5k old, rears are about 3k and were rotated off the front.

I'll chuck it up on the jack and see if any of the springs are loose/rattling without weight on them, cheers so far :)

Front lower arm bushes or ball joints. Focus', Mondeos and new Fiestas are prone for it. Or one or both of your front shocks aren't doing as they should. 

Edited by SamKidney

Front lower arms, ball joints, track rod ends, arb links and bushes were replaced 20 months ago as part of the mot :)

It almost feels as though it's the back that has the issue, if I creep forwards with the handbrake on one side at the back dips more than the other, I first put it down to handbrake caliper siezed and not coming on (as one side has already been changed the other is probably due) but the car is becoming unsettled with normal braking not just on the handbrake.

I will check the front struts though, at least I'm getting an idea of what I need to look for!

Edited by forteh

Front lower arms, ball joints, track rod ends, arb links and bushes were replaced 20 months ago as part of the mot :)

It almost feels as though it's the back that has the issue, if I creep forwards with the handbrake on one side at the back dips more than the other, I first put it down to handbrake caliper siezed and not coming on (as one side has already been changed the other is probably due) but the car is becoming unsettled with normal braking not just on the handbrake.

I will check the front struts though, at least I'm getting an idea of what I need to look for!

i wouldn't assume that anything you've replaced 20 months is still good. I've replaced ball joints on my car, to have them fail mot 10 or so months later due to excessive play

That is very true, whilst they weren't genuine ford (like I would pay that for a tatty 12 year old car!) they were specced and replaced by my local independant ford place and has been really solid and still is with no rattles, squeaks or knocks.  It still tracks perfectly and handles fine, just with a little more body roll then it had.  I'll investigate and report back :)