The Car Thread

MadManMike

Okay, sooo i will go for the Brembo HC disks with the Brembo OEM's orr the DS2500's.

The 1144s seem well priced, shame about the fade...

In regards to the steering wheel controls, what will i loose when i change wheel to a nice OMP superquadro flat bottom ive got on order!

EDIT:might strip the interior and paint the floor black <3

Edited by TROYston

1144s are one of those pads that get good reviews from some people, and others say they are turd. It's just like trials, haha.

I reckon brake pad 'reviews' should always be accompanied by a video so you can see exactly how they are being used :lol:

My only experience with 1155s is on the rear, where they didn't fade and lasted about the same as the £15 pads I bought from the local motor factors, which also didn't fade.

14 hours ago, TROYston said:

In regards to the steering wheel controls, what will i loose when i change wheel to a nice OMP superquadro flat bottom ive got on order!

Any buttons on the steering wheel? I thought flat bottom wheels were just for fat people :P

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TROYston said:

Okay, sooo i will go for the Brembo HC disks with the Brembo OEM's orr the DS2500's.

The 1144s seem well priced, shame about the fade...

EDIT:might strip the interior and paint the floor black <3

Cruise control and speed limiter controls, also your dignity for ordering such a horrible looking wheel ;). Should sign on on cs.net as its very helpful.

• Like 1

Will be stripping my Civic down and selling on what I can shortly. 

The ever increasing number of gremlins (mainly rust related) and the other work it needs, along side my current financial situation, just doesnt make it viable to repair. 
I've been landed with more responsibility in making the business work and taking a step to move it forward, so time is a limiting factor too :( 
Making some money and driving a more sensible car is the priority at the moment. 

Likely keep the engine and have a play with it. I quite fancy dropping it into an older 5th Gen Civic EG next year. 

Ordered today, Brembo HC's with 1144's. No idea why the 44's, i was tired....

I also have the diddy omp wheel from the renault 5, i could put that in, but not 100% sure yet...

Picking up the 182 tonight 

Edited by TROYston

Has anybody had experience with replacing E46 front wishbones? My parents need new ones but they seem to be rather pricey at £100-150 per side for Lemforders, not had a price for OE but I have got the impression off forums that £500 is about right. This seems rather steep, I've seen cheapies on eBay but I'm guessing they will be false economy.

On 05/08/2016 at 0:12 PM, TROYston said:

Ordered today, Brembo HC's with 1144's. No idea why the 44's, i was tired....

I also have the diddy omp wheel from the renault 5, i could put that in, but not 100% sure yet...

Picking up the 182 tonight 

Doubt you'll be disappointed by the 1144s, but I think you will want more if you get on track.

22 hours ago, CurtisRider said:

Has anybody had experience with replacing E46 front wishbones? My parents need new ones but they seem to be rather pricey at £100-150 per side for Lemforders, not had a price for OE but I have got the impression off forums that £500 is about right. This seems rather steep, I've seen cheapies on eBay but I'm guessing they will be false economy.

Theyre not toooooo bad to do. The front inner ball joints that bolt up through the subframe can be a bit of a pain to remove with how little space there is but not impossible. 

They are expensive though. Is it the ball joint/s that have gone and thus needing the arm replacement or the rear bushes? You can buy replacement rear bushes that can be fit with the arms still on the car. Can either be dead easy and they'll knock straight off, and the new ones slide on or you'll spend half a day hammering them off and struggling to fit the new ones. 

Edit: I think you have to fit new bushes too regardless... from memory the last few I have done didnt include the rear bush. 

Edited by SamKidney
  • Like 1

So brakes are now sorted on the 182, filing the pads as recommended from RTR. Also regrettably fitted a faded sunstrip...

Gave it some love and gave it a thorough clean, although i need new wax, i used my friends simonz death-shite, forgetting just how shit it is....

Its had a car drive into the NS rear bumper in a carpark by the looks of things as that is marked, and the splitter was included, but was haggared, so left it off, and think ill go for a laguna splitter.

It needs new exhaust hangers and although the wheel is in good condition, its sticky and pretty grim, even after cleaning it loads, so just waiting for a boss.

I also bought some sandpaper to do the lights, they were foggy as anything, but maguires tyre shine fixed that, they're perfect now haha

Brakes feel rather good! 

Already been moaned at for driving like a yobbo... on a private road... 

IMG_20160806_200006.jpg

IMG_20160806_195955.jpg

IMG_20160806_200225.jpg

IMG_20160806_202904.jpg

Edited by TROYston
  • Like 1

I'm gonna get hate for this, but hey-ho! :P

So, cheap-ass weld job ended like this:

13737681_10157128824185587_4016767951996

The front wing also had this lovely paintwork:

13662209_10157198942455587_4520167812852

To cover the ghetto weld, I initially did a "red" spray, which is more orange:

13909255_10157198944345587_3841649040013

So this weekend I masked off the bits I didn't want to ghetto respray:

13923429_10157198960835587_1810574810539

Attached a sanding pad to a polishing machine:

13920720_10157198968725587_1350662129962

Sprayed some primer:

13653218_10157198973640587_1171963273343

Sprayed some paint:

13909128_10157206429900587_1177379792305

Sprayed some lacquer:

13909349_10157206606930587_2240298708667

Now before replying, bear in mind that:

1) The rest of the car has at least 10 different shades of red.

2) The colour match was never going to be great anyway.

3) I will respray it properly at some point, after fixing both sills.

4) The total cost was £30.

5) It looks better than it did.

6) I'm happy with it, for now.

I'd love to have the sills properly done and the paint properly done, but I don't have a spare £2000 at the moment, so this will suffice :)

• Like 1

No hate, just confused why you didn't get some filler over the new metal :P Let that stuff harden a few weeks and you may be able to very gently polish it to make it look a touch better, it'll burn through very easily though as I imagine at price you haven't got much paint on there.

I'm still planning to get both sills chopped out and done properly, so filler etc was too much hassle.

Next year I'm hoping to have her done up, but priority was to get it looking a little more presentable in the short term, for as small a budget as possible.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2016 at 4:56 PM, SamKidney said:

Theyre not toooooo bad to do. The front inner ball joints that bolt up through the subframe can be a bit of a pain to remove with how little space there is but not impossible. 

They are expensive though. Is it the ball joint/s that have gone and thus needing the arm replacement or the rear bushes? You can buy replacement rear bushes that can be fit with the arms still on the car. Can either be dead easy and they'll knock straight off, and the new ones slide on or you'll spend half a day hammering them off and struggling to fit the new ones. 

Edit: I think you have to fit new bushes too regardless... from memory the last few I have done didnt include the rear bush. 

Cheers for your help, from what I gathered the garage said the ball joints are gone, I seem to recall the same garage replacing them under 10k ago (the car only does about 5k per year) so I need to find the receipts as that's not good enough! The wishbone rear bushes, is it best to press in new ones or buy a complete unit? I have a press but it looks an awkward piece to get to sit right.

Not quite car stuff but essential to me having any sort of worthwhile car updates. After a bit of a delayed start some progress is happening on my workshop. The 'new' section was a total tip and the original workshop wasn't much better!

Quick tidy up, so much stuff in there it is really hard to keep organised! I also need to finish collecting the rest of my stuff from the garage at my house as that's ram packed :huh:

2016-07-31%2021.10.07_zps45hjfl11.jpg

2016-07-31%2021.09.46_zpsy7pv8tk6.jpg

The rubbish tip needed sorting, several bucket loads of rubbish and rubble in the JCB and some floor was exposed

2016-08-01%2009.54.03%20HDR_zpseomi9qp2.

2016-08-01%2010.14.00_zpscai97xt5.jpg

2016-08-01%2015.50.30%20HDR_zpsu9yzfijc.

2016-08-01%2019.58.36_zpsee7fxl3c.jpg

You will notice the roof has been chopped about and that the top is sagging, turns out those mahooosive railway sleepers are totally rotten at the bottom. I have lots of wood and stuff on order so progress should happen (and stop when harvest starts, joy).

Bonus deathtrap branch cutter that I found in an old mans shed down the road whilst looking through his tools he was selling, a 9" grinder on a 6foot pole with a saw blade is just wonderful...

2016-08-02%2015.30.20_zpsppcsbbuz.jpg

Edited by CurtisRider

14 hours ago, CurtisRider said:

Cheers for your help, from what I gathered the garage said the ball joints are gone, I seem to recall the same garage replacing them under 10k ago (the car only does about 5k per year) so I need to find the receipts as that's not good enough! The wishbone rear bushes, is it best to press in new ones or buy a complete unit? I have a press but it looks an awkward piece to get to sit right.

I'm sure the rear bushes come complete with the alloy mounting bracket, they slide onto the hexagonal stub on the end of the arm 

Yeah you need to get them properly hot and stinking. A few hard stops down from 70 to not a lot should do it, don't let the ABS kick in though, then drive at speed for 5-10 mins without using the brakes to let the pads cool fully. This cures the resin within the first few mm of the pad material.

People who find them to squeal aren't using them hard enough, the type of compound they are shouldn't squeal.

Still in the Civic... 

- Wheel bearings are now a genuine concern

- Something is knocking, badly, on the N/S front 

My 306 is dead at the moment too, so Im stuck in the civic until I get to the bottom of whats wrong with it. Diesel pump I think. 

Been scouting for a 1.4 EJ9 to plonk my B16 into but there doesn't seem to be any that arent too far away and are reasonably clean. 
LOADS down south though, so I may hold out a few weeks when I go visit some family in London and see if my mother will make a detour so I can purchase something en-route.