The Car Thread

MadManMike

When you roll and end up on the roof, the cage doesn't try to pull out of the floor, it tries to push through.

Those tiny little feet arn't going to stop it punching through the floorpan, especially not with holes drilled under them which can only aid the ripping process.

That's why you fully weld large spreader plates into the shell.

Bolt in cages are usually anything but 'bolt in', they all require welding and spreader plates adding to be worth while.

This is of course just my opinion :lol:

• Like 3

So a few additional steel pads welded in place is going to cost you £2k? Hardly internet scare mongering, it's the equivalent of getting buckets and harnesses and then mounting the harness on a random hole you've drilled and shoved a bolt through. You might have the gear there. but it's not properly installed and therefore won't do it's job properly. Just seems logical.

And using the excuse that hundreds of other people are doing it, so it must be ok..... is bull!

Do it once, do it right. Especially as the car is currently ripped apart.

Edited by craigjames

12 minutes ago, dann2707 said:

Properly is £2000.

It's not (I know from when I fitted mine!), but I see where you're coming from. It does add cost and effort, but I think it's worth it. I'm pretty blasé about stuff like this but I would do it properly in your case. It seems like you'll be keeping the car a while, its already stripped apart and getting some spreader plates welded into the shell isn't a big job. All you need is some 3mm plate, a drill and a friendly chap with a welder who will work for Rekorderlig and biscuits (that's kind of a hint, but I am pretty busy at the mo so it might have to be some sort of actual payment) and you're away.

Doing it the 'correct' way will increase chassis stiffness / improve handling too, at the moment the cage won't be doing much and just flexing the shell around the mounting points. Think of it that way and it might persuade you to get it done :P

• Like 2

Yeah I'll get it done at a later point. Got more important things to focus on at the moment (3 holidays in 2 months, engine, ecu). He's coming off the road next month. Might be able to get it sorted after that. 

It's not really a priority as like I said above before the 3 comments, it's not even being driven. 

Edited by dann2707

1 hour ago, Prawny Baby said:

Meh.

Gives safety advise.

Gets abuse.

Not impressed.

You must be new here :P

FWIW Dannnananananananaykkroyd, you're being an idiot. Either put it in properly, or don't do it at all until after your world tour/more roll inducing power escapades. Only saying it because I would do exactly the same as you, and most of the things I do are wrong.

• Like 1

Perhaps not abuse in a personal way, but as someone with ~5x more experience than yourself on these things, I don't particularly appreciate being accused of "classic internet scaremongering" when you're clearly in the wrong. I was only trying to help. 

Safety is somethings to take seriously. 

Anyway, I've said my bit. I'll probably log in again in about 3 months. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Prawny Baby said:

Perhaps not abuse in a personal way, but as someone with ~5x more experience than yourself on these things, I don't particularly appreciate being accused of "classic internet scaremongering" when you're clearly in the wrong. I was only trying to help. 

Safety is somethings to take seriously. 

Anyway, I've said my bit. I'll probably log in again in about 3 months. 

But the thing is, i'm not at risk from how it's bolted in at all. I'm more at risk due to the fact it's not even an FIA approved cage, it's essentially a show cage - as stated a few times, i'm doing 20 miles a week not racing every month. The clio shells are pretty safe in a roll anyway :) I wouldn't worry about it. 

The internet scare mongering wasn't aimed directly at you, it's more of a whole TF thing (and from people who aren't actually in the know). It's really weird coming from other car forums then onto this thread as it's usually full of shitty sarcastic posts inbetween a few positive ones rather than positive posts on other forums. Literally done here 

Edited by dann2707

1 hour ago, dann2707 said:

The internet scare mongering wasn't aimed directly at you, it's more of a whole TF thing (and from people who aren't actually in the know). It's really weird coming from other car forums then onto this thread as it's usually full of shitty sarcastic posts inbetween a few positive ones rather than positive posts on other forums. Literally done here 

i know where your coming from, but if you have (and i have) read through Nicks 203 pages of his A3 on ASN, he clearly knows his shit, yet he's willing to listen to other people and take advice where necessary.

I see your point, you drive the car f**k all, so the risk of rolling it is very small. But if your going to install a roll cage, you do it right from the word go. Its not people having a go at you, its the fact that if you're going to install something to protect you in the event of you crashing, you do it right from the word go.