The Car Thread

MadManMike

My car failed its MOT.

Last year there was about 9 failures, mostly minor. This year there was 3 failures.

One was a numberplate light, which I could have sworn was OK as I checked all the lights beforehand...

Another was the steering rack gaitors - fair enough, I had them both off to replace the rods and they were a shit to get back on with the car up on an axle stand so I wasn't sure if they were fitted correctly.

The third was the most major and is what is generating most of the bill - 5 hours of welding required at the nearside rear. I haven't got details, but I assume it's where that filler-bodge was done. Hopefully they'll chop all that crap out and start again.

Bill of around £400. Annoyed, but not too surprised.

Paul. That BMW you've linked to is basically the same as Prawns, e39s are great and miles ahead of 46s in terms of build quality from the few I've worked on. I'm not sure if you'd be interested, but my 5 series is likely to be for sale in the autumn. Once the Porsche is back on the road I'll be looking to get a shonkier daily driver. I want something I don't have to worry about cosmetically damaging, and I could do with freeing up some cash for a trip, so I'll be downgrading to something that's more of a shed. (probably a cheep V70 d5)

I need to do a bit of an update on the happenings with my Porsche sometime, but it'll have to wait until I'm home with access to photos. 

I accidentally a new water pump and cambelt kit for the Eunos.

Can't be bothered to source, pick up and swap an engine, so I'm just gonna do this and keep the old beast smoking for a while, probably swap it out for a turbo'd lump next year :)

Yep - heatshield in the way cutting off access for the left hand bolt, so it's sat around 2.5" toward the centreline of the car at present. Given that I'm going to be down there at some point in the (semi) near future fitting the 3" exhaust I've got it fitted there for now and will move it as far out to the left as I can once I know where clearance sits properly (Y)

Absolutely. The mk4 Golf chassis is particularly understeery from the factory, which isn't an issue during sedate driving but when you're pushing on a bit it's not the best by far. There's some flex in the rear beam (which I believe the VWMS/Seat Supercopa guys etc get around largely by reinforcing the beam itself) and the cars don't come with a rARB as standard, other than a small torsion bar inside the beam.

Fitting a decent rARB helps to neutralise the understeer considerably, though I'd be interested to find a practical limit as of course it'd be very easy to go too far the other way and lose grip as a result. This Neuspeed bar is adjustable, so I've popped it on the middle setting for now and will play around  a little more down the line once the rest of the car is where it needs to be.

I have previously wondered if there'd be any merit in converting the rear end to an independant setup (using a 4mo/quattro setup without the drivetrain components) but that's not something I'm anywhere near needing any time soon. Would be interested to see what @Prawny Baby's thoughts on that would be. Not too sure how much is possible without the 4wd floor plan either - would likely need custom rear subframe etc to make it happen on a 2wd car.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luke Rainbird said:

I have previously wondered if there'd be any merit in converting the rear end to an independant setup (using a 4mo/quattro setup without the drivetrain components) but that's not something I'm anywhere near needing any time soon. Would be interested to see what @Prawny Baby's thoughts on that would be. Not too sure how much is possible without the 4wd floor plan either - would likely need custom rear subframe etc to make it happen on a 2wd car.

I don't think it's worth bothering with as the rear end is pretty much just there for show anyway :lol:

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, MadManMike said:

I know those feels man, my Leon did exactly that. 80mph in 6th, dropped down the gears and nothing there...

Blue smoke aplenty.

Not too bad if you're near home, but I had no choice - had to pay nearly £900 to get it fixed :(

Yarp, been told i'll be looking at around that same cost to get mine fixed up. Gutted. 

Supposed to be saving for a f**king mortgage...