The Car Thread

MadManMike

Prompted by Sam's happy thread post, I let my car insurance renew for the first time in my life.

About to turn 30, and the £25 I could save by shopping about wasn't worth the time. Getting older has some perks. 

Out of interest, did your premium go down at all?  Hitting Level 3 in December but all my renewals are coming in this 2-3 month period.  Still getting generally raped, so it'd be good to know if that would plateau at all in future :P

Turns out the "bit of welding" was actually rather a lot of welding...

13730866_10157128823645587_7938323883858

13737681_10157128824185587_4016767951996

And it ended up with a completely clean sheet on the re-test :)

13698207_10157128825320587_5760456501872

I've given the primer a quick rattle can in Random Red, just to protect it. Booking in the other side for a couple of weeks time, then she's off for a full respray :D

Good shit :)  Mine's defo not going through with the sills as they are at the moment...

EDIT:  As a thought, are you doing all the engine work before or after the respray?  Was just thinking whether it'd be worht putting off the respray until after the engine shit's sorted just so you don't run the risk of the finish up front getting a bit messed up from all the work going on in there?

Considering the guy made the panels himself, it's a very good job.

It also cost about £250, rather than the usual £400 most places charge. That included chopping out shitloads of filler, welding chassis rail, inner and outer sill.

A lot of work for the price, that's for sure.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mark W said:

Good shit :)  Mine's defo not going through with the sills as they are at the moment...

EDIT:  As a thought, are you doing all the engine work before or after the respray?  Was just thinking whether it'd be worht putting off the respray until after the engine shit's sorted just so you don't run the risk of the finish up front getting a bit messed up from all the work going on in there?

Engine work will be done before spray. Realistically it's gonna be nearer the end of the year for new paint. Cam belt and water pump arrive tomorrow, so once I get back from Barcelona I'll sort that out :)

Good stuff Mike, decent price that. Weird the offside went first, guess the drain holes must have been blocked at some point.

In MX-5 related news, finally got this on the road last night... Runs about 300bhp at the hubs (370ish at the fly according to the dyno operator), when it isn't misfiring, grrrrr....

IMAG2778.jpg

• Like 1

I didn't know that either, that's a good shout!

A lot of it is new metal, the chap struggled to find metal to weld to, because there was so much filler.

Adam, both sides have "gone", but this side was bad enough to warrant MOT failure - someone had done a really shit repair on it previously, so over the course of the year it's obviously started to fall apart.

I hate to say it, because I never like it when I've paid for something then some dickhead on the internet slags it off but I've gotta agree with Paul. Sills aren't something to play about with, they're pretty integeral to that shells strength, especially being a convertible. I'd really be tempted to have them redone before the paint Mike, not even from an aesthetic point of view just pure safety.

the KA sills a nice tip if your ever struggling for a sill on anything, they're pretty universal as there's no real complicated profile to them, if I remember rightly even the door shut pressing is gauge how similar to the mx5 too!

If I had the money, I'd get it done properly, but both sides sorted properly is more than the car is worth.

This whole exercise is purely a budget restoration, in an attempt to make it look a little nicer than it does and keep it on the road for more years.

Being in to professional restoration, I know you'd want it perfect, but I just want it half presentable and roadworthy - once it's had a cheap blow over in the original colour it'll do me just fine.

It'll never be a show car and I don't want it to be. I want to take it on track and not worry about damaging it.

• Like 2

If youd have seen the "repair" (I use that term loosely..) I performed on both sills of a Transit Connect today, it wouldnt be Mikes outer sills Id worry about :lol:

Truely amazing how good seam sealer makes things look. Some black stone chip over it all really finishes it off.... 

For £250 I'd expect a little bit more than that, I know a skim of filler will tidy it up but i'd be fearing what is underneath. If it's that rough on the outside I would hate to think what it's like inside and what he thought he may be able to get away with. Yes you can get away with doing a fairly basic attempt but that't not really the point and for a car that is seemingly a keeper for you and if you are going to the effort and cost of a respray then I would look into getting it done properly at some point. I hope that doesn't come across as me being knobbish as that's not how I mean it to be, I just don't like people getting ripped off or being into potential danger for substandard work.