The Car Thread

MadManMike

They are indeed - other than some fuel rail spacers (thick washer, effectively) they slot straight in on a 1.8t. Plenty of headroom to keep things safe too which is nice. Could you have used something a tad smaller at higher duty cycles to get the figures you're after without the potential idle niggles, or are the 630s generally the way to go with conversions like yours?

8 hours ago, isitafox said:

Nothing quite like a guaranteed MOT pass :lol:

"you are keeping it aren't you?"

"yep"

"right, drop it in Wednesday!"

I miss the good old days when I'd give my old MOT certificate and £50 to a mate, who passed it on to his mate, who passed it on to his tester friend then I'd get a new certificate a week later having never shown anyone the car :lol:

• Like 1

Just found a shit load of worn Toyo R888 in my wheel size for pittance... but they're collection only in East Sussex..

Might resurect the 306, tank it up and see how many sets I can fit in the back of it. 

• Like 3

My size ;) 

Stumbled on a bit of a winner today. 

Local chap had just had his engine changed on his EP3 after it developed a "faint knocking" above 4K rpm... offered me the old lump for £100 quid. Sorted bargain. 

IMG_0761.thumb.JPG.ed25ff6839957c543d459a69ab00e5d2.JPG

Came with a good crank pulley that I needed and couldn't seem to find anywhere new for less than £100 for a genuine one, or £40 odd second hand, so the remainer of the engine has cost me £60.00 if you look at it that way. Bonus. 

5D21C86F-AE16-4C7A-93C5-369F1160D18A.thumb.jpg.2e4e29a4d65f62d05409f6ab7bd43df6.jpg

Got it in bits.... insert "knock knock" joke here. Pretty much all the shells show signs of being verrrrryyyy hot at some stage so it's been run low on oil at some point. The white deposits on the exhaust valves suggest it's been burning oil anyway so that gives a likely cause. 

IMG_0758.thumb.JPG.179ee1798383f78857f20853811cedfb.JPG

Sorted a crank, shells are about £40.00 for a set of mains and big end bearings and a few quid for some seals. Do need to find myself a connecting rod too but that shouldn't be too difficult. Get it buttoned up and keep as a spare or sell on to make a few quid! Lovely. 

After 8 years this is back in our hands. It was my first car and only now having had a lot of motoring experience I've come to appreciate how absolutely brilliant this little thing is. Everything from the driving position to forward visibility, handling, gearing or the engine is unique and bang on perfect. Got rather emotional haha. 

Anyway, this is our little project, we're going to restore it.  

xOwcUc1.jpg

• Like 11

30 minutes ago, MadManMike said:

Saw a mint red CRX on my travels today, near Horsham. I actually pulled over to get out and look at it, it looked brand new.

Always loved the older shape CRX.

I think the modded ones have all turned to dust and it's the nice ones that are left. At least over here. This one has a genuinely interesting history and has so far had 3 owners including us and a very close friend. 

Went down memory lane and found a pic of it from 2009. f**king miss the other car too. One day... 

IvmVZcM.jpg

Yep there's certainly not many left in the UK that aren't riddled with holes, that's why I had to get out and look at the red one earlier - clearly had lots of love over the years. Looked like a pretty recent paint job.

S2000 is on my list to own after the Eunos - either that or a Boxster. I enjoy having the roof down so much I don't think I could ever have a fun car that has a solid roof!

56 minutes ago, MadManMike said:

Yep there's certainly not many left in the UK that aren't riddled with holes, that's why I had to get out and look at the red one earlier - clearly had lots of love over the years. Looked like a pretty recent paint job.

S2000 is on my list to own after the Eunos - either that or a Boxster. I enjoy having the roof down so much I don't think I could ever have a fun car that has a solid roof!

Get one quick, they're appreciating fast. Never drove a Boxster but I cannot imagine how anything can be better than an S2000 AP1. It's the essence of driving. Had the liberty of driving quite a few exotics over the years and they all fall short!

Did I mention here that I'd joined the hairdressers crew?

IMG_2449.thumb.JPG.749bdd7eba287163c74f2b328a3922b0.JPG

It's a proper shit heap, has no power (90bhp 1.6), and handles like shit (understeer on right handers especially, so new shocks in its near future), but it makes me smile every time I drive the 10 minutes to or from the new office with the top down and the wind flowing through my obviously luscious locks. 

• Like 5

So coilovers went on last weekend, just been letting them settle and seeing what rubs and what needs to be modified

The to do list is now

Maximum camber with the standard adjusters, roll rear arches, grind chunks out the arch liners to clear as its scrubs on them on lock, fit exhaust (tomorrow)

The coilovers, being TA's are really soft, like standard ride soft which i dont like at all. The car drives just as it did with the suspension before, although it has settled, its no where near low enough, so tomorrow going to wind down the backs more and probably the fronts after theyve been cambered, but i cant do much until my Nankangs arrive, went for 165/50 ns2's so that will drop it a lot more.

Got a picture, the car is filthy from work, lots o filters applied to hide the fact, and from as low of an angle as possible to annoy me so i lower it more.

IMG_20170513_202250_(2).thumb.jpg.8a8b7ba8a92128e1966ff6d9fc7e4992.jpg

IMG_20170513_202051_(2).thumb.jpg.f19c13f3a6efc2edf433b97af3cff181.jpg

dropped it from this

Snapchat-1698644149.thumb.jpg.c323886b0322d22327f2c743dd69ed40.jpg

14 minutes ago, Luke Rainbird said:

Looks plenty low enough from here (Y)

Cheers, but it has to be lower, im aiming for this sort of height but with more negative camber

plmo8.thumb.jpg.8c8f53840adad305fcf7e77dd2f0cafe.jpg

Thats pretty much the limit for 8j wheels :(

The thought of air ride keeps coming up....

Edited by TROYston

Maximum stock negative camber, not going for the vip level of camber, just enough to not look to out of place. Not getting extended bottom arms or anything like that. 

Not building the car to handle whatsoever, just to have a pretty low car again.