The Car Thread

MadManMike

I need some help with choosing a good little car for daily use. I had the S2000 in mind and a Nissan S14 or 13 if I can find them. Budget is about £10k. Would there be any other cars you guys would recommend? 

I do prefer it to be JDM and RWD

Cheers

Oak

4 hours ago, MadManMike said:

Knock a zero off the budget and I'd suggest MX-5.

S2000 is a good shout, but depends what your needs are really - they're not exactly practical, but are reliable and fun.

Well I mean. I've always wanted to start learning drifting, I've heard the MX5's Are a bit underpowered for drifting? 

As for practicality if I were to get a S2000 I've been looking at the Spoon S2k Hardtop. In my opinion the OEM hardtop looks odd and not a big fan of soft tops but bike rack SHOULD! be able to fit. 

It looks like the only downside to the S2000 is if I wanted forced induction, it's rather costly

Edited by Oak T

I was going to Lexus GS300 (2JZ-GE) but the conversion to manual will cost about the price of the car, it is more practical but can't justify spending that much for a manual conversion!

I've got a mate that imports cars and parts from Japan. Check out Gorrilla Imports on Facebook. He had a GS300 not so long ago. 

I've also got a mate with a Toyota Soarer up for sale which may be of interest to you. 

21 hours ago, forteh said:

Did I follow you round Swinfen island just outside Lichfield, yesterday about 5:30ish? Yellow 52 plate mx5 with silly sticky out wheels? :D

Yup that was me! Just on the way back from Tamworth, the wheels do look rather shit at the moment :unsure:

Didnt know you was so close by.

Edited by TROYston

An s13 or s14 would be fine for a daily driver. Make sure it's an sr20det engine not a ca18det as spares are much more available. Nothing wrong with the ca18det i have one myself.  Panels etc are easy to come by too.

S2000 are no good for drifting. It's the engines not the chasis. Panels are going to be expensive and you will crash.

MX5 is a good car easy to get spares, cheap to buy and repair. Underpowered but anything will slide.

Why not go for an old bmw with an m50/52 engine. Inline six. Dirt cheap, less than a mx5. Loads of spares available and the engines are bomb proof.if I remember right they are around 200bhp. In Europe people turbo them and double that figure on standard internals. Drums on the back with a hydro will lock really well too!

Also if you are thinking about drifting you may want to look and see what available mods there are for your car before committing, especially angle mods. 

Edited by bike_dummie
  • Like 1

If you're wanting to learn to drift, don't spend 10k on a car for it! You're most likely going to at least knock it, if not completely destroy it. 

An e36 or 46 is pretty hard to beat in terms of sideways fun time for the amount of fixing and modifying it'll need. If you really want something Japanese, a 350z would be a good shout. They're not really any more than an s-body these days and would almost certainly make a better daily driver and be more reliable. S-bodys were great, reliable cars 15 years ago, buy finding one now that's not been abused to the point of needing constant upkeep is basically impossible, and a shame to then use it to learn to drift in, most likely making it one of the troublesome ones by the time you've had your fun. 

A ready done turbo mx-5 would be a good bet, you could get a really nice one for that money and if you did bin it, it can be reshelled for pennies. 

1 hour ago, RobinJI said:

If you're wanting to learn to drift, don't spend 10k on a car for it! You're most likely going to at least knock it, if not completely destroy it. 

An e36 or 46 is pretty hard to beat in terms of sideways fun time for the amount of fixing and modifying it'll need. If you really want something Japanese, a 350z would be a good shout. They're not really any more than an s-body these days and would almost certainly make a better daily driver and be more reliable. S-bodys were great, reliable cars 15 years ago, buy finding one now that's not been abused to the point of needing constant upkeep is basically impossible, and a shame to then use it to learn to drift in, most likely making it one of the troublesome ones by the time you've had your fun. 

A ready done turbo mx-5 would be a good bet, you could get a really nice one for that money and if you did bin it, it can be reshelled for pennies. 

I would love to have a seperate drift car but where I'm living I have my park my car on the street no driveways on my road and also only allowed 2 parking permits per house (Wife's car is on the permit too)

I did have a look at the E36's and E46's but I don't really know them cars. I'm more of a JDM person from all the cars I've had (3) As for the S-body's I've thought about it too I don't want to it to be sat in a workshop somewhere fixing someone else's abuse! I've found a S15 for £8900 I'll be going to have a look at it soon, I have a feeling the car has been VERY abused! 

I still love the shape of the E36 estate! Someone is coming to look at my car sometime next week. Hopefully I can get rid of it! It looks practical from the outside (2009 Lexus GS450h) until Lexus thought is would be a GREAT idea to put the Hybrid battery in the boot! I can barely fit my mod bike and a backpack in there or 1 golf bag and a umbrella. Wished I got the GS300 instead!

1 hour ago, bike_dummie said:

An s13 or s14 would be fine for a daily driver. Make sure it's an sr20det engine not a ca18det as spares are much more available. Nothing wrong with the ca18det i have one myself.  Panels etc are easy to come by too.

S2000 are no good for drifting. It's the engines not the chasis. Panels are going to be expensive and you will crash.

MX5 is a good car easy to get spares, cheap to buy and repair. Underpowered but anything will slide.

Why not go for an old bmw with an m50/52 engine. Inline six. Dirt cheap, less than a mx5. Loads of spares available and the engines are bomb proof.if I remember right they are around 200bhp. In Europe people turbo them and double that figure on standard internals. Drums on the back with a hydro will lock really well too!

Also if you are thinking about drifting you may want to look and see what available mods there are for your car before committing, especially angle mods. 

I do agree with the expensive panels for the S2000! I've rarely seen people using them for drifting I thought maybe why not try them! 

I would go for the older BMW's but I also need it to be a daily. I did get an offer from a close friend for his N54 Single turbo kit. He's running it on stock internals too but if something did go wrong I don't think the N54 engines are as cheap as a SR20! or even an RB25 

8 hours ago, Pete.M said:

I'd look at imported Toyota's with a 1JZ-GTE engine if you're interested in drifting and playing with turbo's, like the JZX-110 (Chaser). 

I have been keeping an eye out for those. Just waiting for the right one if I do not buy anything before then!

2 hours ago, bike_dummie said:

Nothing wrong with the ca18det

Said nobody, ever.

I've yet to come across one that didn't need the shells replacing. Not that it's a huge job but they really don't stand up to abuse well at all.

• Like 1

It largely depends what you mean my learning to drift. If you're going to do about 2 drift days then get whatever you're into. If you're wanting to get properly into it, and you still need it as a daily, every friends experience suggests that a bmw won't give you any issues, and an s-body will get you addicted to them, but fairly quickly have you renting a workshop to store and fix it while you daily drive something else after it's required a load of work. Please don't think I'm just saying this because I drive a BMW, I love a nice s-body, but they're not a logical car for anyone to buy at this point! I share a workshop with a guy with a nice ps13, he daily drives an e46 ;)

I'll also just quietly mention the 350z again. N/A, so less to go wrong, a decent amount of drift specific parts out there and they're at the point where you can still buy one off someone who thinks a reverse entry is just "That thing they tried after putting their keys in a bowl at that party last year."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jolfa said:

Said nobody, ever.

I've yet to come across one that didn't need the shells replacing. Not that it's a huge job but they really don't stand up to abuse well at all.

Its a 20 year old engine now, of course it will need a rebuild. After all you get what you pay for, buy a cheap CA its going to need to be stripped down, buy a properly built one at a higher cost and it wont.

The SR was introduced to faze out the CA as it was costing Nissan too much to manufacture, it is actually the better engine of the two. The little things love to rev. 

1 hour ago, Oak T said:

If you decide to try a bmw don't go for the N54 go for the M50 e36. The M50 is nowhere near the cost of an SR. Solid gearbox too!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M50

Avoid the s15 not worth the money. The KA engines aren't a touch on the SR which is half the price.

1JZ is another good option as mentioned above, toyota soarer with a manual conversion (R154 box)  would be an awesome machine. 

As pete mentions a 350z would be a good option, few mates have them. The VQ engines are pretty good power out the box but are not the best when you want to squeeze more out unlike other style V engines.

The 350 its self is a heavy car so you may struggle to learn. 

There are more than one variant of the 350z so watch out when buying one. Think the nismo edition has more power out the box along with some nice touches like brembo.

Edited by bike_dummie

41 minutes ago, bike_dummie said:

Its a 20 year old engine now, of course it will need a rebuild.

They were only 10 years old when my made had 3 or 4 of them and they were shite then as well :P

Comparing to German engines of similar ilk and vintage they're woeful!

I remember you saying they were Seimens Deka but forget what size injectors you were planning on running, Dan?
I've got some 630cc @ 3bar ready to go into mine at some point and have read mixed reviews (largely due to being slightly less accurate at idle speeds) so looking forward to checking them out for myself. May have to sling them your way for a clean :P