Whats your Career/Job?

trials owns

It's more that Times New Roman is the default font on Word, which shows no sense of tinkering with tech on the most basic level nor any design thoughts. Not so much a bad choice as no choice at all.

It's more that Times New Roman is the default font on Word, which shows no sense of tinkering with tech on the most basic level nor any design thoughts. Not so much a bad choice as no choice at all.

and for example at my case, that I woke and sleep with computers, and I like build and tinkering them, but I just dont see a reason, why TNR or Calibri would look bad? I mean they are official or something

Well back to the topic as I cannot be bothered reading the topic!!

I work in a smallish garage, (there is 6 of us) We are the Councils taxi testing station. all the taxis in Allerdale have to come through our door at least 1 a year! A lot of our work is regular garage work. Pretty crap pay to be fair. I'm fully qualified (level 3) and been in the trade 5 year and get £215ish after tax! (not sure if thats what I should be gettin)

Wish i'd stuck in, but thats life! If I could have my time again I'd love to be a welder/ fabricator.!!

• Like 1

I'm fully qualified (level 3) and been in the trade 5 year and get £215ish after tax! (not sure if thats what I should be gettin)

Wish i'd stuck in, but thats life! If I could have my time again I'd love to be a welder/ fabricator.!!

It depends whether that is per day/week/month ha

Surely you're still able to educate yourself as a fabricator on the side? Then gradually do freelance work and move across? If that's something you want to do, we're only here once!

Standard is calibri on 2007 onwards though!

So in effect they've done quite the opposite of what you say haha :P

Maybe they're just trying to be "quirky"

Either that or they're also 'into tech' and using pre 2007 software, but I think we might be reading too far into this.

On topic, my career and job circle around reading too far into things.

I'm doing pretty much the most repetitive office job you could think of til the end of January. Only nice thing is I get to read a bunch of documents when there's not much work, which is often. Got to read the health procedures of breast enlargement and definitions of forensic science the other day which was cool.

Plus I get to see some people's CVs when I upload them for the committees. Seen some really well qualified people with some bad CVs, one guy wrote the whole thing in third person and the front page was mostly a picture of his face

And tonight whilst signalling trains I shall be removing various bike parts for anodising and re-hosing (real term?) my magura in between eating a massive plate of curry and a large amount of birthday cake I've been sent in with.

To top it all off you have a totally tappable wife too. Winning.

• Like 1

I work on web projects in various capacities: coding, QA, consulting, design, freelance or for equity. I've just finished working on a big project which didn't turn out quite as well as we'd hoped and it's future is in the balance. Now I'm in talks about starting up a company with someone I know on another continent, and it's pretty scary. Lots of red tape, funded out of our personal bank accounts and certainly no guarantee of it working. Aside from that I have some side projects on the back-burner and am always in the market for interesting freelance assignments.

Ultimately I'd like to make enough money through the internet to be able to spend more time on adventures, making documentary films and photo stories. This year I'm 'making do' with a month each in India and Myanmar riding motorbikes around, so I guess my work/life balances isn't so bad. That said, May-December is going to be a long slog during which I may not even make a single penny, but hey...

• Like 2

Software Test Engineer, so basically I test web based software but actually 3/4 of my time is spent planning how to test something new or improving the process we already have. I get to automate a lot of stuff and write tools to do a lot of jobs, so the amount of time I spend manually clicking links and typing in fields is actually pretty small. Tis alright! Got my own desk and shit.

Pay isn't awesome yet but I'm on a graduate wage atm and have a pay review in 6 months so hoping for a decent increase.

This could be an interesting comparison for the Jardo opinion. I am also a software tester but it sounds like I got to this job following a different path to Muel.
I have been a software tester for a large international education company for nearly 4 years and am ISTQB certified. I'm not on a crazy high wage but for the area and the job I'm doing it's great and the perks of working for a large company are awesome. Loads of holiday, bonus each year, company pension and they are happy to pay for training courses to help staff progress.
I left school with 5 C's and 4 B's in my GCSE's, at the time I had no idea what I wanted to do but didn't have any computing qualification so it seemed like a good idea to do a BTEC in Business and Computing at college. I didn't really like the college lifestyle and knew that university would be even tougher with more distractions, plus I still didn't know what I wanted to do so I didn't go to university.
After college I ended up working in an inbound Call Centre for the next 5 years. The job was pretty shit but the team atmosphere was awesome and I progressed onto a technical helpdesk which I enjoyed. Over these 5 years I learnt a lot about customer service but towards the end of my time there the company had evolved and the Contact Centre jobs became more sales focused so it was time to call it a day.
After several months travelling I came home jobless and eventually ended up at my old job in the Contact Centre on a temporary contract for 6 months before I found my current job as a software tester. I actually found out about this job from a friend of a friend while on a night out haha! My previous experience working on a 1st line support team, the way I presented myself at the interview (There was a stronger candidate who swore in their interview!) combined with the life experiences I had gained through travelling were what got me this job. For at least 5 minutes of my interview I was getting asked questions about my travelling experiences by the person who was going to become my section manager :P
In less than 2 months I am being made redundant and am unsure what job I will end up doing next. All I know is that I'm taking a break from office work but I am confident that in the future using the experience and qualifications I have I can go back to customer support/software work if I want to. Interesting times ahead!