How do you maintain your bike?

trialsquirt

Brakes get attention when they start to feel/perform worse. Chain gets cleaned and re-lubed when it looks really shitty and replaced when I feel I have had it too long (maybe every 6 months). Free hub gets a good clean and lube once a year. Everything else just get's a clean/grease/lube as it comes off for any reason (feels bad or breaks). I may do a proper strip down, clean, re-build if i'm bored on a sunday.

• Like 1

I'm always fiddling away in the shed, like I'll see something on my bike that doesn't look quite right, so I'll strip and sort it out. Chain tension, front disk rubbing and rear wheel trueness are my items I attack the most. I hate brake rub, and wheels that aren't straight. I also like to have the steerer tube nearly all the way to the top of the stem as well, so both bolts clamp it, rather than the top bolt only being half on of you know what I mean. And creaking does my head in as well.

Never really touch my headset but like to have my pro2 running as smooth as possible so I can really trust it on gaps and stuff. I'm a bit paranoid about drivetrain.

wheels are always buckled and egged but I'm a bit too retarded to sort it out. Like having new bleeds a lot though.

Rerering to your earlier comment, have you ever owned a bike long enough to break it? :wink:

I know he's snapped some sl cranks, forks last year, a few kool chains, pedals, a modded rear wheel, but he's getting oldddd now so doesn't tend to break stuff anymore ;)

Once every couple of weeks I usually strip down my bike

Are you serious? Seems too much IMO. I don't do anything except cleaning the chain, truing the wheels every once in a while (and put a new chain on when it's necessary).

for hope hubs, look here for maintenance guides. lube with wet lube imo, not grease

although to be honest, hope hubs are so good you can basically neglect it for years and it will just take it

Funny you should say that. The Hope Pro II Evo Trials I've got has horrible bearings. I rode it six months and they are creaking like hell. I got myself some Skf ones now, these will last longer I'm sure. It's really a shame. A 150€ hub with 50c bearings.

Edited by niconj

Are you serious? Seems too much IMO. I don't do anything except cleaning the chain, truing the wheels every once in a while (and put a new chain on when it's necessary).

Funny you should say that. The Hope Pro II Evo Trials I've got has horrible bearings. I rode it six months and they are creaking like hell. I got myself some Skf ones now, these will last longer I'm sure. It's really a shame. A 150 hub with 50c bearings.

Skf supply hope with the bearing as the company I work for lost the contract to them. They used to be Ina.