How do you maintain your bike?

trialsquirt

Other than when my bars rolled back on a dropgap i havent touched my bike since i built it in August! I find that messing with bikes all the time ends up ruining threads and rounding bolt heads off for no reason! once a bike is built its designed to be ridden and not messed with. The only reason i clean my mountain bike is cos its stored indoors and gets muddy in winter!

that would mean brad is organising an indoor event!?

Do we all turn up pissed, six weeks late?

Do you really think I'm capable of organizing an event?

As for the above comment Dave, That was me logged onto the Freewheel account, As John said i made the account for him with my personal email.

Hi, how do you all maintain your bikes? And I have hope pro 2s so I was wondering what I do to maintain them? Cheers.

i serviced my pro2 once, but i never really exposed to it anything other than street and fair weather... they're well made so they tend to resist the shite that you throw at them. but you just wanna clean the freehub out and re-oil it every now and then if you must...

my maintenance tends to consist of checking my spoke tension every few weeks or before/after a significant ride (if i'm not riding local, or theres a few people comming up, i don't wanna be that guy just sorting my bike...)

freewheel usually gets looked at every 3-4 months, usually i'll replce my chain at the same time, it doesn't hurt to actually inspect your chain thoroughly every few weeks too incase links are splaying out or failing...

i just bought a cheap torque wrench, so i've added lubing and evenly tensioning bolts to my job list, it's quite nice having a properly tensioned 4 bolt clamp haha.

I find tightening it until its just about to strip, then back it of 1/4 of a turn works for me. But not on my stem with my new carbon bars

Ps I don't really do this, it's a poor attempt at humour and sarcasm. Bing does not take responsibility for your thread condition should you use this method of tightening bolts up.

I believe that's the legal stuff out of the way now ...

Edited by bing

I find tightening it until its just about to strip, then back it of 1/4 of a turn works for me. But not on my stem with my new carbon bars

To any new riders searching for help with maintaining their bikes: DO NOT DO THIS.

You will likely misjudge where you think the "too tight" point is and actually strip threads, or damage components from over-tightening them.

• Like 1

Thanks for the education flipp, nice to know there's a trade professional out there to point out the do's and donts of mechanical maintenance. I don't know how you do it for the money lad, I really don't :)

I'm perfectly happy to admit I'm no mechanical genius, but I'd've thought it pretty standard that you shouldn't tighten most bike parts that much.

If you want to do it to yours, that's fine - it might well work for you.

If - on the other hand - people new to the sport are looking for help, then they follow that advice, they're going to be sorely disappointed when they bend their brake clamps beyond being useable, or snap a lever clamp, or strip the threads in their frame (etc. etc. etc.).

As I side note, I don't get paid for mechanical maintenance either, so you needn't worry about that :P

• 2 weeks later...

Skf supply hope with the bearing as the company I work for lost the contract to them. They used to be Ina.

I just emailed with Johnny from Hope and he assured me that the bearings are still INA but labelled Hope.

Also, I will get a set of bearings shipped for free since mine died after only 1/2 year. As a possible reason he told me the following:

"It could be that the bearings are just sub-standard and the new ones will be fine. Or, if the hub body is undersize it could be leading to premature failing and if this is the case we would have to have the hub back in the factory for inspection."

They could well have gone back to INA but iv not heard any mention of it.

Yea they should be slightly compressed by the interference.

If you find that when you press them in they are pretty slack you should contact hope, unless you have an accurate way to measure the hub bore ?

The bearing bores could have to much axial runout. Basically not Parallel to each other.

I would have said you should get 2/3 years use from the bearings, good luck I hope it was just a shity pair of bearings.

I simply check bolts and spokes are tight.

oil and wipe down my chain and cogs, checking for damaged links during.

give it a good clean and wipe down, good time to check all the usual high stress areas look good and no cracks.

check the tyres for damage and check the pressure.

my last check a quick ride at home to see how my brakes feel, quite regular for me is rubbing the rotors and pads with wet n dry to take the glaze of my pads after a long ride.