How do you keep your phone while riding?

Sam Song

Okay it is a relevant topic, here me out!

I always wear jeans when I am riding and I always keep my wallet, keys, and my phone in my pocket when I ride. It has been working out pretty well with my Nokia N8 with its small 3.5 inch screen.

Now that the Nokia is 3 years old, it is showing its age I will have to replace it soon. I was given a Samsung Galaxy S3 from a family member to try. And I absolutely hated it when I went riding today.

The screen size is way too big so that it gets in the way when I bend my leg.

And I really cannot keep my valuables in a seperate bag since homelessness and crimes are getting higher every year in Vancouver, Canada; and I already lost a bag before (thankfully with only a water bottle and 2 apples inside :) )

so I will not risk putting any expensive items in a bag when I go out riding to downtown.

How do people deal with large screen phones these days?? Can you actually ride with phones that have 4.5+ inch screens??

I am pretty sure I will not find another phone with a 3.5 inch screen.

I think I might just have to get a Blackberry which is the smallest phone available on the market right now.

Edited by Sam Song
  • Like 1

I feel your pain, however I keep my things in a bag that I keep REAL close to me at all times and if I'm riding with friends we all put all the bags together in case we are in a public place.

However most of the time we ride in places where there's no people at all. Mostly natural or private spots.

The rest of the times I keep things inside my car and I just take the keys with me.

It's hard to ride with these ridiculous new phones on your pants nowadays.

Check out the strada smart cateye just made a Bluetooth bike computer to connect to your phone which will tell you when you get calls messages and relays strava info aswell. Probbably no help to you mate as you would still need to keep your phone in a bag or in the car. But to everyone else looking here it looks to be a really good bit of kit.

i always miss calls and texts when i go out riding.

I've ridden with my Samsung s3 in my pocket loads of times easily... Its so thin I don't notice it much.

I also put it in my bag a lot which has a lot of valuables, car keys bike tools etc. I always put it somewhere i can see it when riding, and when people are about i usually stop riding just to check the bag and sometimes move it closer to me.

I keep everything in a riding bag. I wouldn't want to risk smashing my iphone or falling on my keys.

S'pose it's not too bad for me as I mainly ride natural so theft risk is pretty low.

You could always get a super cool bum bag (or do you call them fanny packs?!)

neon-green-dare-fanny-pack3.jpg

I cracked my phone doing a dropgap, smacked it with the bars :/ wasn't even big. Had it facing inwards as well.

Now I have my phone in my pocket going spot to spot, so people can text me or call me and i'll feel it, or if i'm waiting for someone to ring me who's coming to ride. But once I'm riding it's gotta be in my bag, can't stand stuff being in my pocket while riding.

My phone was cheap enough that I would just put it in a bush along with my wallet :POnly ever kept £5 in the wallet so loss wouldn't be terrible.

At one point I had two puncture repair kits and a cheap multi tool hidden on either side town so I could go out with out a bag, no one ever found them.

That's mad :P

Leave it in car every time, only thing in my pocket is my car key.

On a similar but separate note I did make the mistake once of leaving my wedding ring on, noticed after i'd started riding so too it off and put it pocket safely looped around ribbon on keys, that came partly loose without me noticing, took keys out of pocket when went back to car for a drink and wedding ring fell onto floor without me noticing, eventually found it about 20 foot away from car....was thinking about faking my own death and running away at that point rather than tell the wife i'd lost my wedding ring.

• Like 2

99% of the time it's in a bag, again I ride natural or in nice places where people don't steal my shit. When it's not in the bag it's in my car and I only have my single car key on me.

Back in the day i smashed about 5 or 6 phonescreens by having them in my pocket, luckily they were 3310s and the like. Bikes were shorter then so I used to hit my thigh on the bars all the time. Think my prefered pocket was a rear deep jean pocket, but also used the front on occasion.