How to bunnyhop high

Hey guys and gals,

I learnt to bunnyhop on my mountain bike about a month ago now and I'm having trouble bunnyhopping high. I find it hard to do the full movement and can only go about a foot in the air ( and that's a stretch) . I can do the move in two separate movements quite high but combining them, that's a whole new story...

I know most people are just gonna say practice but if there is any technique that makes it easier, I'd love to know. I think my main problem is sucking up the front wheel and standing up :/

Trying to jump over something that isn't hard/will fall down/over if you hit it helps for practicing. Also, when doing it look at it as you jump over it and don't look at where you want to land just yet, otherwise the front tyre will dip down, at least it does by me..

Other than that I don't know of anything that would really "make it easier".

I built myself a highjump-bar a few months ago and it defo helps improve (and is lots of fun with mates)

Post a vid of yourself bunny hopping, it makes technique helps/advices easier ;)

Alright, I'll see what I can do.

Anyway I tried again for about an hour today and still no progress. Does practising on a full susser play a part in not being able to get the bike that high? (I know Chris Akrigg can but he is awesome). Basically what I do is crouch (only a little) lean back liftinf the front wheel about 1/2 a foot and then lurch forward scooping with my pedals but that only gets me a tiny bit a air :(

Mike I'll be getting your Pitbull soon so that should help anyways :)

Certain bikes and geometries can be really hard to pull up. (I guess a long chainstay makes it difficult?) If you're able to pull it up high enough for a manual you should theoretically be able to bunny hop it.

Timing is a big one for a controlled and high bunny hop.
Another thing that helps me with getting higher is to pull the handlebars towards me as hard and fast as I can. But that only works if the timing is right!

Edited by Max F

With me, I can lift the front wheel about 2 ft when I really try but when doing that I cant get enough grip on the pedals to hook the rear of the bike up with me. Many times I have just slid off the pedals and that's not very pleasant since my shins are now black and blue and covered in scars.

Is it just my timing that needs working on then?

I was gonna put a vid on but yesterday I did a front wheel pivot on my mtb whilst going downhill @ about 30mph and I managed to snap my derailleur hanger clean off :(

• 3 weeks later...

high hops are all about acceleration (how fast you can lift the bike) and technique (how you lift the bike).

Being strong helps, the stronger you are the fast you can lift the front end up, this acceleration is very important! The next part is technique, the idea is to lift the front end as high as you need and then scoop the back end up. It will look like you're pushing on the bars but this is just a result of the scoop. To get really high you're going to have to start getting a little twist on the bike to allow the rear wheel to come up to the side of you (like a sidehop tuck). Twisting also minimises the time spent going over the bar as you have less distance to travel.

I'd recommend tucking to the side of your back foot (opposite to the sidehopside for most people) as this means you'll get spins easier later without having to do them goofy.

this is a picture of me mid tuck at 120cm

fy3dpi.jpg

• Like 4

high hops are all about acceleration (how fast you can lift the bike) and technique (how you lift the bike).

Being strong helps, the stronger you are the fast you can lift the front end up, this acceleration is very important! The next part is technique, the idea is to lift the front end as high as you need and then scoop the back end up. It will look like you're pushing on the bars but this is just a result of the scoop. To get really high you're going to have to start getting a little twist on the bike to allow the rear wheel to come up to the side of you (like a sidehop tuck). Twisting also minimises the time spent going over the bar as you have less distance to travel.

I'd recommend tucking to the side of your back foot (opposite to the sidehopside for most people) as this means you'll get spins easier later without having to do them goofy.

this is a picture of me mid tuck at 120cm

Wait, so the optimal way is to tuck the bike opposite to how YOU do it in THAT picture?

because that would be tucking to the side of my back foot, and that's the normal side for nearly everyone isn't it?

Wait, so the optimal way is to tuck the bike opposite to how YOU do it in THAT picture?

because that would be tucking to the side of my back foot, and that's the normal side for nearly everyone isn't it?

Most people tuck to the side of their front foot for sidehops, tucking the other way for hops will help if you want to spin regular

My neck height is about 153cm, although I'm not the tallest. He's going to pegs, which is 10" above the bottom of his tyres, or 25cm. He would be going over a bar at that, so a couple more cm means 27cm off the 153cm to give us a bar height of around 126cm.

That one of Ali was 120cm. Pretty similar, I'd say.

• Like 1

If you can loop out on a bike you can bunnyhop it

Back when I rode my zoo I found if you leaned back f**king loads and about 4 meters before the wall and started a small manual, then basically just looped out onto the wall you could send the back wheel pretty damn high, but then leveling out is a pain.

My neck height is about 153cm, although I'm not the tallest. He's going to pegs, which is 10" above the bottom of his tyres, or 25cm. He would be going over a bar at that, so a couple more cm means 27cm off the 153cm to give us a bar height of around 126cm.

That one of Ali was 120cm. Pretty similar, I'd say.

The dude in the green hoodie is basically stating that wall is 59"/149cm. Still it is a pretty big hop up whatever the actual height.