RELIABLE freewheel.

williams

Echo SL for the win :)

The titanium one or the black one?

I got the black one and after a month of use, broke a pawl. Got a replacement under warranty and the new one skips* every once in a while as well. I don't know what to make out of this.

*Don't know whether it's actually skipping. When track standing I tend to move my crank to adjust for the length of a run up or sth. and then, when applying slight pressure on the pedals, it makes a clicking noise just like the skipping sound. Under full pressure I haven't come around this "problem" yet.

I've had 8+ Echo SLs over the years and recently went for a Jitsie.

Seems to be holding up alright. havn't given it too much shit yet as I've only been on about 5 rides but it hasn't mader too many horrible noises yet which is good.

It does do the pawl re-seating thing like Adam explained above, presumable because the springs are so strong. It hasn't actually skipped yet though. So far so good (Y)

• Like 1

Wouldnt say it was all down to luck. Care and maintenance plays its role aswel. If you take the time to clean and lube moving parts, such as freewheels, they are certainly more likely to work for a lot longer.

In this time I have owned other freewheels such as Tensiles etc. I managed to break a Tensile after just 2 hours. Which could maybe be luck, or could be just a bad freewheel. But given a freewheel is manufactured to a high standard and is looked after. I see no reason why it should break.

Also, 72 engagement points is a fair amount compared to those shitty adicta(dicta?) freewheels that used to come on nearly every bike.

I serviced an Echo TR yesterday that had been ridden for 1 1/2 years in all conditions w/o any maintenance. It sometimes skipped for almost a quarter crank turn and sounded like shit. We thought that at least one pawl was broken and so took it apart.

Other than a lot of rust (which was due to the rainy season we've had the last couple of weeks) everything was fine. So we drowned it in WD40 and put it back together. Now it sounds like new and it doesn't skip anymore either.

I wonder if that has to do with the rider being only 60kg and not very strong. Mine (I weigh 85kg and am strong) broke after 6 months of use.

Edited by niconj

i went through 2 echo sl's in two weeks. then bought a a tensile and has lasted longer than any other freewheel ive had, has only skipped 4 times when i fist put it on.

I killed 4 Tensile freewheels and their Prototype 108 click in around 3 months.

My last Echo SL lasted 2 years, and my current one has been on there for around 18 months with no issues

Edited by J.KYDD

Got my Jitsie fitted last night and took it on a 4 mile round trip this morning running the kids to school to get it bedded in, forgot to give it a soaking in GT85 but so far it seems good. I had a little play just backhopping up a small wall and doing some hops to front on a kerb and I must admit I do feel confident with it. Made one "scary" click when I was pedalling along but I'm pretty sure that was just one of the 3 pawls locating as it didn't slip or jump at all.

I look forward to properly putting it to some use, definitely recommend one to people on the fence so far.

• 1 month later...